Author Topic: appendicitis  (Read 9584 times)

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
appendicitis
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:06:29 PM »
Currently, I am laying in a hospital bed after going in for surgery for acute appendicitis. Good thing I can access TSP Forums on my IPhone ;) or I would be having a horrible time.

Wondering what your symptoms were like and how close they are textbook?
While I had classic abdominal pain, I did not have any nausea.

My short story is, woke up at 1 AM with painful mid abdominal pains. within 20 minutes it moved to my lower right side of my abdomen. The pain level was 9 of 10. Wife drove me to hospital at 2 AM. By 3 AM I had a CT scan, that proved I had acute appendicitis. By noon I was in surgery for one hour. I was lucking that my appendix had not ruptured. Surgeon says I will be in the hospital for 24 hours for observation, no heavy lifting and staying at home for four days.

I must admire the wealth of knowledge scrubs wrote about abdominal plains. +1 scrubs for putting all that info together.
A common problem which may arise under any circumstances is acute abdominal pain.  Knowing when such conditions may require a tums vs. evacuation to advanced medical care is essential.   

Initial Evaluation of Abdominal Pain
Several things can help determine the probable cause of a patient's abdominal pains, knowing the abdominal anatomy is very important:

http://meded.ucsd.edu/clinicalmed/abdomen.htm

Evaluation of the Right Lower Quadrant area and common causes of pain:
Appendicitis
      The appendix is a small tube of tissue attached to the beginning of the colon.  Appendicitis occurs when the tube becomes blocked and infection develops.
      Appendicitis occurs in 7% of the US population.   
      Classic history of lack of appetite and periumbilical pain followed by nausea, right lower quadrant (RLQ) pain, and vomiting occurs in only 50% of cases.   Migration of pain from the area around the belly button to the RLQ is the most accurate feature of the patient's history.  Markle sign (or jump sign), pain elicited in RLQ when the standing patient drops from standing on toes to the heels with a jarring landing, was studied in 190 patients undergoing appendectomy and found to have a sensitivity of 74%.  Duration of  symptoms is less than 48 hours in approximately 80% of adults but tends to be longer in    elderly persons and in those with a perforated appendix. Approximately 2% of patients report duration of pain in excess of 2 weeks.
      Note:  Acute non-perforated appendicitis can be treated successfully with antibiotics such as a combination of Cipro and Flagyl.   This decision should be made with the consultation of a surgeon when available.
    Emergency: Every case of potential appendicitis should be evaluated at a hospital (when available), septic shock and death can develop as a result of a perforated appendix.

Final Thoughts:
In general, seek advanced medical care anytime abdominal pain is constant for more than 4-6 hours, or is accompanied by frequent or projectile vomiting (forceful), or fever.  Even the most seasoned emergency department providers have difficulty with making an accurate diagnosis without advanced diagnostic testing.

If located in a remote location, "when in doubt, ship it out".   :o

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:50:42 AM by Archer »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: appendicitis
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 09:34:19 PM »
OMGosh Hootie. I am glad you are repaired and can go home soon. If you are bored pop into chat. We will keep you company.

Cedar

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:10:35 PM »
I was like 8 years old when the pain hit me. Parents took me to the hospital and they operated immediately. Doctors got to it just in time.
All I remember was monster abdominal pain.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 07:04:15 AM »
glad you are ok.  this crosses my mind whenever one of the kids complains about abdominal pain.  how will I know it is dangerous-life-threatening as opposed to annoying-kid-complaining?

Offline Medicineball

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 07:20:25 AM »
Glad you are OK, Hootie. Look on the bright side - like me, you are now post-SHTF appendicitis-proof!

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 09:32:58 AM »
Glad you are okay Hootie,

February 14, 1977. Mine symtems were similar to yours. Abdominal pain that suddenly slammed over to the right side. No nausea.

The pain was on the 9-10 scale.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 10:08:54 AM »
Ow, poor Hootie!  I just knew there were going to be side-effects from listening to Jack so much!

;)

Get yerself healthy ASAP!

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 10:17:26 AM »
glad you are ok.  this crosses my mind whenever one of the kids complains about abdominal pain.  how will I know it is dangerous-life-threatening as opposed to annoying-kid-complaining?

Well for me the mid abdominal pain was 1 step away from screaming in pain. When the pain moved to my lower right side I kind of knew it was time to go to hospital. Plus durring that time standing up straight was not an option.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 12:07:15 PM »
damn! good thing you got to the hospital in time. rest and get healthy hootie!

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 12:23:41 PM »
Thanks for the 'best wishes'  :)
I have to say, my documentation preps that had my family's health history, really paid off.

The hospital has a 'Healing Garden'.... So if I started a thread, should I post that under Health or Gardens ;)

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 12:50:01 PM »
Glad you're going to be OK.

There are a couple of important lessons here - 1) It doesn't have to be the end of the world for your preparedness plan to be of considerable use. Try to remember all of your SO's meds, dosages, allergies, etc. while you are talking to the ER staff; and 2) Just how fragile we really are. The wrong bug in the wrong place at the wrong time..... Think about this, or something like an infected tooth in a post-event situation.

Rest and Heal, Hootie

soupbone

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 12:58:44 PM »
Similar case for me when I had mine out in high school.

I felt a little odd like I had eaten something that didnt agree with me.  I went to bed and was woken at 0200 by abdominal pain.  I have never before or sense been woken by abdominal pain (onset of obvious stomach flu not withstanding.  Mild nausea in my case.  Something about it said "go to the hospital" and I asked to be taken in at 3AM.  I was operated on early that morning and home the next day.  Light duty for the rest of the week.

Thoughts from medical folks out there?  If you are already getting inter-abdominal surgery (C-section, gall bladder, etc) can you get them to pluck out your appendix at the same time? Might save some trouble later.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 03:11:14 PM »
Try to remember all of your SO's meds, dosages, allergies, etc. while you are talking to the ER staff ...
Here's what I did: In each of our bags we have a small FAK. I filled a pill box with one week's RXs (pill box from Dollar Tree, $1). In one of the compartments of the pill box I put a slip of paper with pertinent med info: Name, DOB, SSN, Primary Dr's Name/Address/Phone #, Daily Meds & Dosages, Allergies, Ins Info, Medical History and Emergency Contacts. Who can remember all that stuff in a real medical emergency, not me.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »
By 3 AM I had a CT scan, that proved I had acute appendicitis. By noon I was in surgery
While did they wait 7 hours to operate?

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 06:05:04 PM »
While did they wait 7 hours to operate?

Yeah, I thought it was a long wait too. Maybe there were people in front of me, that had a higher priority?

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »
First time I had kidney stones I knew something was bad wrong. I have a good tolerance for pain and discomfort. A 4mm concretion in my ureter put me on my knees. I was thinking not appendix b/c no fever and no nausea. I was very happy to go to the ER and get some dilaudid and phenergan IV action.

You're not going to fake this pain - a kidney stone had my sweating and breathing heavily. I don't want to mess with renal, appendix, gall bladder, etc pain...

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 09:24:25 PM »
For thoses watching my progress I am back home, in bed. In about a week I should be back to normal.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 09:32:49 PM »
For thoses watching my progress I am back home, in bed. In about a week I should be back to normal.

Glad to hear you're home. :)

walker

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 11:34:43 PM »
I am glad to hear you came through this unfortunate event without complications.

Thanks for the kudos, the service of sharing knowledge is important.  With everything I have learned on this site, I feel it is necessary to give something back in my own particular way.  Glad you found my contribution to be of value.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery,
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:44:09 AM by Archer »

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 02:25:01 AM »
Just adding another "glad you're okay". Hope your continued recovery is speedy!

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 03:31:32 AM »
Glad to hear you are ok and at home now Hootie. I still have my appendix and tonsils. I'm in my mid 50's and I worry about having issues with them somewhere down the road. That is one less thing you need to worry about now.

DW's burst on her when she was about 5 years old and she can remember some things about it. She remembers the area itching so bad she scratched herself until she was bleeding. Her mom took her to the Doc he diagnosed it and sent them to the hospital. She remembers laying flat in the back seat of their station wagon on the way to the hospital. When she arrived at the hospital she remembers them putting a kitchen strainer with a funny smelling cloth on it over her face and told her to take a deep breath and she went to sleep. She recovered and just has a little larger than normal scar.

Offline viking

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 04:12:29 AM »
Hey Hootie
Glad You're all right.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 07:23:14 AM »
...I should be back to normal.
I never made it back to "normal" after my appendicitis.

Wait, I wasn't normal before either.  ;)

I'm glad things are looking up, Hootie.