Author Topic: Shadowrider's Transcription Template  (Read 2570 times)

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Shadowrider's Transcription Template
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:05:33 PM »
You can download it here to review/comment on it:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/Transcriptions/TSP_Template.doc

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline saifoda

• Prepper
Re: Shadowrider's Transcription Template
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 03:50:52 PM »
Should the transcription have "Jack Spirko" (and guests names) bolded for easier reading?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Those who would sacrifice personal liberty for a bit of safety deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will have neither.

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 10:07:54 PM »
Should the transcription have "Jack Spirko" (and guests names) bolded for easier reading?
good idea

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in zone 5a.
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:31:22 PM »
give me a day to try that for ep 877.
that might be just what we need. Want to balance simple format with easy to read.

what about color coding just the names (Jack in Blue, Guest in Green)? too much?
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:56:58 PM »
give me a day to try that for ep 877.
that might be just what we need. Want to balance simple format with easy to read.

what about color coding just the names (Jack in Blue, Guest in Green)? too much?

color coding is too much

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:09:30 PM »
yeah, i gave the color thing a try and it was a bad idea.   ::) oh well.
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 09:59:29 AM »

after talking with ShadowRider (another transcriber proofer). We like the idea and are going make sure that the "bolding" is added to the transcriptions when they are finalized (when creating the PDF/DOC/TXT files).

We understand that people are already working hard transcribing audio, so if they don't want to bold/formate as they type that is ok. As we proof the text, it is very simple for us to do a find/replace when we are making the final PDF and Word Documents.

Offline trjg

• Survivor
  • Universal Man in Training
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 11:28:03 PM »
If you guys are interested I have actually written a program / pile o' scripts that scrape the entire website (podcasts and non podcasts alike) and gets most if not all of the information provided (except for the translations obviously).

If its desired I could actually dump every podcast (or ones desired) into a template... Right now I keep them (as part of my program) in a SQLite database.
Feel free to check out my blog, its all about homesteading down here in South Eastern Looziana.
http://freedomlouisiana.org

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 09:25:35 AM »
If its desired I could actually dump every podcast (or ones desired) into a template... Right now I keep them (as part of my program) in a SQLite database.

Great idea. if you could create a text file for 1-1000. That would be awesome. I think we could talk to the Mods, and find a place on the forums to keep them.

Then a transcriber could pick a Ep, get the txt file, and starting typing right way.

Here is a link to the template file:

Offline trjg

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 02:44:01 PM »
Great idea. if you could create a text file for 1-1000. That would be awesome. I think we could talk to the Mods, and find a place on the forums to keep them.

Then a transcriber could pick a Ep, get the txt file, and starting typing right way.

Here is a link to the template file:

Give me a few days or a week to finish getting all setup in my new house and I'll start working on a script to do this. Shouldn't take but a single sitting to get it done.

Its actually kinda cool having processed the whole website and looking at the results. An example is I have a unique list of every single URL for Additional resources / sponsors ever used (and obviously all the combinations for each individual podcast).

I'm not a forum troll nor a really active user (I've got about a million things on my plate nowadays) but I don't know if there is any Podcast trivia going around but I have some great ones now that I've gone through this. (I'm not going to give the answers though.  :) ) Such as there is one Episode in the entire collection that has the word Episode misspelled. And there is one episode that never existed or was deleted.
Feel free to check out my blog, its all about homesteading down here in South Eastern Looziana.

Offline Moonfire

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 06:39:25 PM »
And there is one episode that never existed or was deleted.

I remember this one. Jack just mislabeled the episodes and didn't go back and change it. I also recall him saying that knowing the missing episode may be helpful in a future contest, so definitely remember it!

Offline trjg

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 07:21:22 PM »
I remember this one. Jack just mislabeled the episodes and didn't go back and change it. I also recall him saying that knowing the missing episode may be helpful in a future contest, so definitely remember it!

Unfortunately I don't know the episode I just know there is a hole in my collection. I can see the sql row count next to the episode numbers. They match up and thennnnnn they don't. I figured all this out when I was debugging my code and making sure that I had everything covered. Thats also how i found out about the misspelling of the word Episode in the title of the podcast. DOH!

Offline Moonfire

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 08:19:23 PM »
Unfortunately I don't know the episode I just know there is a hole in my collection. I can see the sql row count next to the episode numbers. They match up and thennnnnn they don't. I figured all this out when I was debugging my code and making sure that I had everything covered. Thats also how i found out about the misspelling of the word Episode in the title of the podcast. DOH!

Still, I would think it'd be easy enough to find. "select * from TSP where ID <> EpisodeNum", maybe (my SQL is rusty). Or you could do a manual binary search. Dang, now I'm in a programming mood.

Offline trjg

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 07:56:38 AM »
Still, I would think it'd be easy enough to find. "select * from TSP where ID <> EpisodeNum", maybe (my SQL is rusty). Or you could do a manual binary search. Dang, now I'm in a programming mood.

Thats not too shabby.  :)

I find myself writing SQL pretty much almost everyday. One day I'll just make views and stop writing the same queries a million times for testing. I never have learned the more complicated SQL stuff. Just rather do data manipulation through C# or Python.

Offline trjg

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 11:45:59 AM »
Question.

Do you guys want me to automate creating these templates as a text file, or as a docx file? I found a Python Library for creating Docx, however, I'm not seeing any ability to do bolding, or even centering of text. It does however create headings, bulletted lists and the like.

If I create them as text files they'll all have to (by hand), be formatted as desired. (If you want bolding or centering of text).

I should note that text files are obviously the easiest to produce, however, producing a mildly formatted Docx file doesn't look like it would take very long. I guess I could produce this in .Net where there is ample support for Docx formatting....

Either way I'm resyncing my podcast database with everything now, so it really doesn't matter which way is preferred I'll just write the code to do it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:57:08 AM by trjg »

Offline trjg

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »
Ok. After literally fighting all day to get at least one friggin' library to work for either python or c#/.net to work to make either docx or opendocument (odf) formats I wrote a quick script to do text files.

Takes less than a second to run over every single file and they're ready to go, or at least to be viewed. I changed the heading Sponsors Of the Day to "Resources" because its much more applicable and its what they actually are on the podcast. (For example youtube videos and the like).

How do I upload the archive? All 1017 text files, compressed is just less than a meg total.

When I get it up tell me what you guys think. I can quickly whip up the .doc format that I was talking about as well, if you guys want to see that. If there are any tweaks let me know because it won't take me but a second or two to change the code, rerun, it and repost it (so please feel free to pick them apart).

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 10:27:39 PM »
PM me a sample. Just so I can look it over. Then we will get the Mods to suggest a place for the templates.

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 02:59:08 PM »
i am setting up an ftp user this weekend for this.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »

+1

Offline trjg

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 06:54:52 PM »

Cool Beans!

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 07:08:22 PM »

at the risk of being smited and/or deleted  ;)

<pokes Archer>..... <prepares to run>

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 07:20:24 PM »
at the risk of being smited and/or deleted  ;)

<pokes Archer>..... <prepares to run>

just did it.. check PM and latest threads. i took a 6 day weekend off from all computers.

Offline trjg

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 08:21:34 PM »
just did it.. check PM and latest threads. i took a 6 day weekend off from all computers.
I actually kind of did a single day today... Was nice. Started a square foot garden. Bought a whole bunch of electronics stuff at Home Depot, then finally ran Cat6 cable through the whole house. Now all I gotta do is combine my  Raspberry Pi, arduino, and new awesome temperature sensors and I can start monitoring soil and air temperatures around my square foot garden.

I won't be taking a true day off from a computer for quite a long long time.... hah