Photobucket

Author Topic: Best place to live for a prepper?  (Read 15233 times)

Offline Gunnywag

• Prepper
Best place to live for a prepper?
« on: April 27, 2012, 08:15:47 AM »
Hey all,

What is your “Best Place” to live as a prepper?  With regards to:  climate, water availability, firearm ownership/use, housing costs, unobtrusive gov’t, local agriculture, cost of living, etc.???

What’s the best thing about this place and what is the worst about it?

I’m sure we all have our “dream location”, what is yours?

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Best place to live for a prepper?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:25:46 AM »
Would be awesome if someone created a table which by state includes all kinds of metrics a prepper would be care about: state income tax, property tax, debt per person, firearms laws, hours of sunshine,  property cost per acre, standardized measure of soil fertility....and many other metrics that I can't think of now.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:54:31 AM »
No please.. then they would all move there.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline fndrbndr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:04:42 AM »
Check out this book by Joel Skousen (Strategic Relocation):

http://joelskousen.com/strategic.html

It's stuffed FULL of all the information you mentioned, plus a lot more. Very well researched and detailed.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:13:39 AM »
What is your “Best Place” to live as a prepper?  With regards to:  climate, water availability, firearm ownership/use, housing costs, unobtrusive gov’t, local agriculture, cost of living, etc.???

What’s the best thing about this place and what is the worst about it?

Wherever I hang my hat is my perfect location as there is always good and bad. After living on multiple 'best scenario', none of them really are. I just make do with what I have and adapt or change the situation.

When I had my 40 acre homestead in British Columbia out in the bush, it was my perfect location. No neighbors for the most part. You did not need to have building permits. Climate was zone 2/3, so you had to have 2x the size of a garden to get almost the amount you would need where I live now and can get out of a garden. I had 2 wells, one I could drop a 5 gallon bucket down if needed. I had lakes galore as well. I have drank out of lakes up there (after it was boiled). It was good as I was far enough from major grocery shopping, I only did it every 3-4 months and dropped $1,200 at a time. It taught me to have a more skookum pantry than I normally did. I raised 100% of my eggs, beef, pork, chicken, goat, turkey and 60% of my veggies and milk. I could have made birch syrup like some of my friends did for sugar, but I bought it instead. Firearms we owned. There were ways to get around CORE and such. No one I knew had a registered gun. No one I knew had a handgun however either. My 40 acre farm, 1 acre pond with a house and barns I paid $90,000CA for. My same farm, would have sold for $300,000+ in the area I am now. The government pretty much forgot about us even when we had wildfires and pretty much unless there was a murder (one confirmed in 25 years, 5 people missing) or huge dope growing going on, did not bother heading out to where we lived. We grew mostly beef and wheat out that way. No commercial crops but one CSA and home gardens. Good area for keeping seed pure. In the 1930's there was alot of grain growing happening, but it slowly faded off as travel became easier. Paved roads were not even a reality in most places up there until the last 20 years. Unless you had satelitte TV, you had none. You had one radio station in the house, you could get a bit more in a vehicle in certain places. Cell phones did not work unless you were right IN town. Internet was 14.0 kbps. Firewood was free for the taking. My electric was $25/mo in the summer due to canning, $12.50 in the winter. My land taxes were $325 a year. Gasoline was high (although it is lower now than in the states at the moment). Roads were not for the faint hearted in the winter. Living up there can be rough winter or summer. You had to butcher your own animals no matter how big as it could be months before you could get a guy out to kill and dress them. You had to be responsible for yourself. You have to watch each step you take or it could be fatal. You had to always be bear and moose aware. Life is easier there, it is harder there. It really does suck to go out at -40F or colder to pitch hay and do chores in the dark for a couple hours. And when you mentally complain about being out there, you tell yourself the other choice and you remember why you are out there and you suck it up. You have to learn to repair things on your own as you cannot just call the local plumber, electrician, etc. You really can forget the rest of the world exists there. It is not a lifestyle for the weak or you will be weeded out pretty quickly.

Where I am now is "perfect" too. I own my home as I bought it cash from the sale of my beloved farm. I am debt free other than taxes and monthly utility bills etc. I have a larger home which is not a cabin. I have less property and cannot grow large livestock, but I get alot of free llamas to butcher. I have gleaners down here and pretty much do not have to go shopping but for milk. I can have a 12 month garden here. It is easier to breed rabbits here due to the daylight length and I do raise and butcher my own meat still, just a different type of meat. My taxes are alot higher. My utilities are alot higher. I CAN GET RADIO!!!! My neighbors are closer and yet we don't know each other well. I still refuse to have curtains on my windows. Agriculture I am dead in the middle of. You cannot throw a rock (even as sucky as I can throw a rock -- in other words hit the deck) without hitting something ag-wise. I can't toss sheep in my front yard to mow the grass. I have multiple water sources. We don't have the wildfire issues here, we have the flooding and earthquake issues here. If I am hungry I cannot drop a moose in my front yard.

It probably evens out after you do all the columns VS both places. There are pro's and cons to being remote. There are pro's and cons to being more urban. I like where I am now as there is more culture and things for my daughter to learn from and about. We don't have to travel as far to see friends. She will not have to go as far to go to school. We see out limited family more often so she will know her grandparent and have a sense of family since we had none in Canada. Even if I had 2-3 more acres here where I am, I would be completely satisfied as I really miss my goats and I do not like my poultry so far away at my friends house.

I always have been the type to make lemonaide (and quality lemonaide at that) out of lemons. The three homesteads I have been on were someone else's garbage and had been the 'difficult, been on the sales list for 4-10 years' and there were bets on which realtor would finally get someone to by the place I always see the diamond in the rough and have the knowledge of what to look for and how to fix it. Each of the places have been vastly different from each other and when I change climates there was a huge learning curve. If I had to BO from either of the places, I would choose down here over up north. 9 months of winter living out of a backpack is eons. Up there you can disappear easier. Here you can too, but differently. There are more Mother nature related events here which I did not have to deal with up north. So I still think for me, the perfect place is where I hang my hat.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 02:12:01 PM »
Wherever I hang my hat is my perfect location as there is always good and bad. ...

Wonderful post, Cedar -- thank you for that. :)

Offline Zef_66

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »
So I still think for me, the perfect place is where I hang my hat.

I agree Ceder, excellent post. And I also agree with you about making the best out of the place you live.

We choose to live here because it has one thing that no where else in the world has. And to us it is the most important thing. More important than water, food, guns, hills, trees, acreage, ect. That is our family. We live near our family and rely on them for a lot. Mainly just support and the occasional lending of a hand. But having family near us is indescribable. We wouldn't trade it for the world. Other than that, we make due with everything else.
~Derek

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? ~ Proverbs 6:6-9

Offline netua

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 09:38:11 AM »
Would be awesome if someone created a table which by state includes all kinds of metrics a prepper would be care about: state income tax, property tax, debt per person, firearms laws, hours of sunshine,  property cost per acre, standardized measure of soil fertility....and many other metrics that I can't think of now.

Personally, I think I would include "reasonable proximity to urban location" and "likelihood of significant natural disaster" and "average annual rainfall" to the list of metrics.

I think northeast Texas, (where Jack is currently looking) would certainly rank high.  By all the standards you have listed (including the one I threw in) I believe that to be an excellent area to consider.  Texas has no income tax, property taxes are low (in rural areas), Texas is in relatively good financial condition, firearms are warmly embraced, plenty of sun and long growing season, quality acreage in the $3-$4K range per acre is very realistic, very good soil fertility, reasonable proximity to DFW, reasonable tornado risk level (no hurricane or seismic risk), mild winters and generally good rainfall.   

Coincidentally, my BOL happens to be located there too, though I'm not a bit biased.   ;D
You don't need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.  ~ Bob Dylan

Offline Gunnywag

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 09:43:13 AM »
Living in Calif (and ready to leave) My #1 concern is water availability, followed by a temperate climate (would like to grow things).  My wife has ties to OK, so NE Texas would be a possibility.

Offline Gunnywag

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 09:45:28 AM »
Check out this book by Joel Skousen (Strategic Relocation):

http://joelskousen.com/strategic.html

It's stuffed FULL of all the information you mentioned, plus a lot more. Very well researched and detailed.

I have the book, it is broad in its scope, great resource.

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »
I think northeast Texas, (where Jack is currently looking) would certainly rank high.  By all the standards you have listed (including the one I threw in) I believe that to be an excellent area to consider.  Texas has no income tax, property taxes are low (in rural areas), Texas is in relatively good financial condition, firearms are warmly embraced, plenty of sun and long growing season, quality acreage in the $3-$4K range per acre is very realistic, very good soil fertility, reasonable proximity to DFW, reasonable tornado risk level (no hurricane or seismic risk), mild winters and generally good rainfall.   

Coincidentally, my BOL happens to be located there too, though I'm not a bit biased.   ;D
[/quote]

I lean towards Texas as well....and I'm a little biased too since my home and BOL are both in central Texas.  I'm not sure how I could ever convince myself to move to a high state income tax, high property tax and poor 2nd amendment rights state (note, I spent the first 21 years of my life in New York state)  Not sure how bad it is where you are netua but my biggest concern here is water.  I know we just came off one of the worst droughts in recorded history and, even though we've had some good winter/spring rain, we're still in it.  Wells are not cheap around here, you'll need to drop $14k for a 450 foot well and that's kind of a moderate depth, for long term prosperity and quality of water people here recommend 500-600ft.  The municipalities are also starting to meter new wells so that even if you pay for a well on your land they will limit the amount of water you can draw from it.

Offline netua

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 04:46:20 PM »
Notorious

We are out of the drought in north Texas.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_state.htm?TX,S

Our place is in Hunt County, and our pond never completely dried up last summer, though it got awfully small. We don't have a water well, we are on coop water. Just starting to develop the place  We plan on doing Swales, hugelkultur, gray water and roof water catch.  Right now, a well is not a priority.

Btw, here is an avg precip map of Texas. 

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/usstates/weathermaps/txprecip.htm

Coastal areas are wettest, but hurricane risk is too high.
You don't need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.  ~ Bob Dylan

Offline badger

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »
Here in Wisconsin there is plenty of fresh water (without even counting the Great Lakes).  Growing season is good and there are lots of hunting and fishing opportunities.  Politically the state is pretty evenly split.  It took a while to get conceal carry passed, but we did get there!  Agriculture is a big part of our economy and family farms are starting to come back with growing support of lots of csa's.  I probably pay a bit higher taxes than other states, but we do have lots of public land to use that I feel is worth it.  Lots of long distance hiking and biking trails to explore!

Tornados happen, but not as often as other regions see them.  Not much to worry about fires since things don't get all that dry.  No hurricanes, earthquakes, or volcanoes.  Blizzards, yes, but folks here are used to winter weather so these aren't really a concern.  Even urban meltdown isn't much of a concern when our 'big' cities are Milwaukee, Madison, and Green Bay.  I live in a much smaller town so . . . I pretty much love where we are at.  It fits our family.

Offline atleif

• Prepper
  • So long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »
freestateproject makes some compelling arguements for NH. :)

Offline netua

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 12:06:44 PM »
NH would be great if it weren't so dang cold!  But I love what they are trying to do in NH and agree that for those with more anti-freeze in their blood, go for it!

Offline suzysurvivor

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 02:26:54 PM »
NH would be great if it weren't so dang cold!  But I love what they are trying to do in NH and agree that for those with more anti-freeze in their blood, go for it!
that's why ya take a friend wit ya...body heat, baybeeeee....  ;D

NE texas would be good...it doesn't get quite as hot as to be unliveable. 

However, not every one can just pull up stakes and go...we are tied to the Northeast because of work, family.  So we live here and make the best of it.  As long as I have my honey, I'm ok most anywhere (of course, it WOULD have been nicer if his career was in Hawaii..jus sayin....).

Offline Dave in Broadway, NC

• Prepper
  • It's the electorate, stupid
    • Off-Broadway Productions
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 07:24:35 AM »
Another factor to consider...local ordinances regarding slaughtering animals on site or proximity to a local slaughterhouse.  If you want to raise animals for meat, you need to be able to process them in a manner that won't get you in trouble.  If you live in the boonies, no problem.  Do it yourself.  But beware, the closer you live to town, the more likely it is you'll encounter ordinances such as we have here that prohibit slaughtering animals at home.  Fortunately, there's a halal butcher 35mi away where we will take our animals until the privacy hedge has grown up and we've got enough concealment that whatever we do can be out of sight and out of mind.  So if I was searching the the ideal place to be a prepper, in addition to matters of geography and climate and such, I would make sure the ordinances allow me to slaughter animals at home or make sure that I'm within a reasonable distance of a slaughterhouse that caters to small producers. 

Dave
North Carolina 
The key to inducing responsible behavior?  Restore the connection between actions and their consequences.

Offline CrunchDog

• Survivor
  • For my wife, for my daughter, for our life.
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 07:34:28 AM »
I'm looking into NH as well ever since the Free State Project episode (#888). My wife and I are both from CA but I'm currently stationed in Germany so I'll say we've gotten pretty used to cold weather. I just need to convince her that it's a good move for us.

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 09:52:32 AM »
I would rank Oklahoma and Missouri towards the top. Anything farther north of northern Missouri is too cold for me. If I were to move it would be to Oklahoma, although I love Missouri. Oklahoma has a political advantage over Missouri but otherwise they are very close. Cost of living is very low, no zoning, no building permits in the country, active agriculture, cheap land, ample rainfall, good climate, and very low taxes. There are some other good states, but they are usually too cold or dry for me. Other places that I would consider: Kansas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Idaho and east Texas.

While I have nothing against the free state project I think they should have picked a better state. The land in New Hampshire is very expensive, taxes are high, too cold and it is not as free in many ways as the midwest.

Places you couldn't pay me to move to: Illinios, New York, California, New Jersey, Deleware, Ohio, Michigan, Massachussetts, Maryland and Rhode Island.

www.JLMissouri.com      Lewis Family Farm

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 09:59:26 AM »
lol JLM - I wont go south of the mason-dixon cuz it is too hot!  so that rules out nice states like TX and OK.  but it does leave me with Idaho, Montana, etc.  I agree with the
Places you couldn't pay me to move to: Illinios, New York, California, New Jersey, Delaware, Ohio, Michigan, Massachusetts, Maryland and Rhode Island.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 10:34:54 AM »
After reading some of Kunstler's stuff (Long Emergency, World Made by Hand series), I'm less oriented toward the boonies and became more focused on small "complete" communities.  A town large enough to have a dentist, bakery, grocery, hardware store, mechanic, doctor, vet, library, post office, etc. sure makes things easier.  Within a reasonable drive to a hospital is a serious bonus, especially for those who plan on retiring in the location.  I think some of the small farming and ranching communities in the Yorkshire Dales of England are a perfect example of what has the potential to function properly in a future without the modern conveniences brought about by fossil fuels.  Small villages in protected valleys with farms and pastures in the hills above, interconnected to other similar villages and larger towns.

That said, I think the likelihood of some regions doing better than others in a world without cheap fossil fuels.  Will the hydro-electric power of the Pacific Northwest keep their industry alive while the industry in fossil-fuel dependent regions of the country suffer?  Will Phoenix, Las Vegas and LA starve for water without the pumps running to bring them water?  Will the waterways of the Great Lakes bring back a boom to a depressed region as the efficiency of water transportation makes a comeback?  Will climate changes or simply the unsustainable energy demand to get water out of the Ogalalla aquifer bring back the dust bowl in regions of Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, and Colorado?

There's a lot of questions out there and it's easy to be a nay-sayer to a lot of places that another might find perfectly viable.  To what degree some level of industry can be maintained is a question that can't be answered with the information that's currently available.  I think the most underthought idea for most prepper is what will a world without affordable transportation look like and whether remoteness at that point will be a liability or an asset.  If it costs you two or three hour's wages to travel 40 miles, are you still going to be commuting to work? 
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Dave in Broadway, NC

• Prepper
  • It's the electorate, stupid
    • Off-Broadway Productions
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 07:40:11 PM »
That's exactly what we have here in NC.  We live in a small farming town that has a compact center.  Got two gas stations, a small grocery store, two banks, a hardware store, a mechanic (who does cars, trucks, and tractors), post office, library, couple eateries, doctor, dentist, and a barber.  One of our immediate neighbors is a sheriff's deputy (works for the county).  Another neighbor is a police officer (works for the town).  We have five acres on Main Street, just on the outskirts of town, but we're within a mile of all these services.  Our property is in full view of the road.  We haven't met all our neighbors, but I'm pretty sure we've waved at all of them as they've passed by.  Every now and again we lament the lack of privacy but then someone stops by and says they saw one of our animals with its head stuck in the fence, and we're thankful that folks are looking out for us.  That is the goodness of community, especially one where there's a culture of self-sufficiency. 

After reading some of Kunstler's stuff (Long Emergency, World Made by Hand series), I'm less oriented toward the boonies and became more focused on small "complete" communities.  A town large enough to have a dentist, bakery, grocery, hardware store, mechanic, doctor, vet, library, post office, etc. sure makes things easier.  Within a reasonable drive to a hospital is a serious bonus, especially for those who plan on retiring in the location.
The key to inducing responsible behavior?  Restore the connection between actions and their consequences.

Offline SheepdogSurvival

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 10:16:53 PM »
Here in Wisconsin there is plenty of fresh water (without even counting the Great Lakes).  Growing season is good and there are lots of hunting and fishing opportunities.  Politically the state is pretty evenly split.  It took a while to get conceal carry passed, but we did get there!  Agriculture is a big part of our economy and family farms are starting to come back with growing support of lots of csa's.  I probably pay a bit higher taxes than other states, but we do have lots of public land to use that I feel is worth it.  Lots of long distance hiking and biking trails to explore!

Tornados happen, but not as often as other regions see them.  Not much to worry about fires since things don't get all that dry.  No hurricanes, earthquakes, or volcanoes.  Blizzards, yes, but folks here are used to winter weather so these aren't really a concern.  Even urban meltdown isn't much of a concern when our 'big' cities are Milwaukee, Madison, and Green Bay.  I live in a much smaller town so . . . I pretty much love where we are at.  It fits our family.

Thanks for sharing, I'm sorta a nomad since being in the military and I've been thinking pretty hard about re-locating to WI on my next duty station assignment and possibly buying a house and putting down some roots for when I retire. I'm originally from GA but don't ever plan on going back and since my in-laws live in Joliet and I'd like to be close to them WI seems great. Also I'm kinda a gun nut and I would really like to live in a NFA friendly state. I was looking at the sheboygan/manitowoc/two-rivers/fondulac/appleton area (I gotta work near the lake for now). I don't know anything about the area other than what I've found online so do you have any opinions of this general area or recommendations within that area to look?

As for the best place to live I think it's wherever you can thrive with you specific skill sets, build strong community, and exercise the freedom to produce/accumulate true wealth.
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
- SAMUEL ADAMS

Offline suzysurvivor

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 08:42:04 AM »
lol JLM - I wont go south of the mason-dixon cuz it is too hot!  so that rules out nice states like TX and OK.  but it does leave me with Idaho, Montana, etc.  I agree with the
Places you couldn't pay me to move to: Illinios, New York, California, New Jersey, Delaware, Ohio, Michigan, Massachusetts, Maryland and Rhode Island.

Texas ain't so bad once you get outside the cities...all that concrete and asphalt just creates a blast furnace.  I used to drive home toward the southeast corner of Dallas county...you could literally feel the temps drop 5* or more when you came round the bend where the 'city' ends. 

I live in Mass now...I like it here...altho taxes are pretty damn high.  I would LOVE to live in Rhode Island...but only in Newport and who can afford that????

I would live in Texas again but out in the country==same with New York and New Jersey.   You couldn't pay me enough to live in California.

Offline Texas Sawduster

• Survivor
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 03:50:59 PM »
Anywhere in Rural Texas !!!!!!

LOCK N LOAD !!!!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 03:53:14 PM »
Anywhere in Rural Texas !!!!!!

you Texans  ::)
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »
Hot?? I don't know what you are talking about. It's only 95°F here right now.  8)
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 07:55:44 PM »
I am less enthusiastic about ground water (such as aquifers) and far more inclined toward seeking regions with LOTS of rainfall, and mountain springs, and springtime runoff from melting snow.

Aquifers are being drained dry. And groundwater is grossly contaminated. I prefer to trust rainwater and snow melt. And I prefer to be in a mountainous region where the snow runs off the mountains rather than in a flatland where groundwater contamination is more likely. I'm not saying mountain springs are free of pollution, just that the likelihood of it being cleaner than aquifer water is much higher. (And fugggheddaboud city drinking water which tends now adays to be sewage water recycled, yet still full of leftover pharmaceuticals like Prozac and steroids and other body-altering/mind-altering crap that people peed into their toilets and then flushed into the local sewage treatment plant where they merely "purify" it and send it right back into our city tap.)

So here's a map of US rainfall levels.

"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 08:03:57 PM »
IN ADDITION TO RAINFALL ....

Other considerations I value highly are the need (well, in my opinion, this is a "need") to be in a northern region with REAL winters. Now I absolutely detest being cold. However, the cold of winter has always historically been one of the surest deterrents to the spread of disease. Warmer/tropical climates allow disease to just keep going and going and going [/Energizer bunny]. But winter stops most disease dead in its tracks.

So ...

Here's a map of "average annual minimum temperatures" for the USA. (A map of how cold it typically gets in winter.)  So ... I am of the opinion that Zone 5 and above is the way to go here. YMMV. 

"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 08:30:12 PM »
OL, you just perfectly described my location. :D  Thank you for the ego boost.  That said, I look at some of those southerner's gardens with great envy, as I had ice on the deck last night and were it not for some good warm days heating up the soil in my beds, I'd be looking at starting over with my frost sensitive plants right now. ::)

All that said, I love where I'm at and wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China.  I much prefer hot chocolate anyway. ;)
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison