Author Topic: 31 days to an organized AND inventoried Home!  (Read 18338 times)

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
31 days to an organized AND inventoried Home!
« on: May 07, 2012, 04:47:54 PM »
So I am embarking on a quest and I thought I would share it with you all.

Back story: Trig (the Hubster) was fin'd overspring break by a saltwater catfish. It turned out that the one small puncture created a cyst, nicked an atery and damaged some nerves in his wedding ring finger. After have surgery, weeks of pain, antibiotics, stitches and removal, we have relied heavily on our first aid preps. This made me realize we have preps ALL over our home. Some here, some there, no one know where they all are except me! We keep band aids in our hall closet, near the bathroom but when that supply was used up, he couldnt find more and I wasn't home. I felt horrible that he had to sit there with a paper towel and ducttape on his hand all because I didnt keep the closet stocked and never told him where I keep the extras.

I am at home full time now but I am also running a small craft business from my home and taking care of two teenage girls and trying to be the best 50's era housewife possible. Seems like my house is always a mess even though I am cleaning and picking up ALL the time, at least it seems that way to me.

So here I go, 31 days to get every thing in order, organized, cleaned and inventoried. There is NO reason my family shouldn't be able to take care of themselves if I am away from home.

Day One - May 8, 2012.
Plan - organize and clean up the wall of bookshelves in our Den. Can some one else benefit from some of our books? Are they organized and can Trig find our first aid books? Can the kids find their sewing books? Do people put their stuff back and know where to actually PUT it? Can any of the storage space be utilized for other preps?

Pictures before and after coming tomorrow, along with any notes or thoughts.

Offline slingblade

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I aim to kill you with it.
Re: 31 days to an organized AND inventoried Home!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 01:46:20 PM »
+1, great plan.  Maybe I'll follow along at my house.

Offline voyageur

• Prepper
  • Sort of new TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 05:59:54 PM »
You've inspired me.

My goal for tonight: clean the cleaning closet.  And if that sounds lame to you, I should mention that my cleaning closet is pretty much empty, and everything is scattered throughout the apartment.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:10:03 PM »
This sounds like a great idea!  I may have to jump on this band wagon too. 

Offline tyananomura

• Prepper
  • Hope for the best prepare for the worst
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 01:59:28 AM »
I agree, but I may have to extend the time period for which I organize.  Will keep you posted with how it goes.

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 07:55:52 AM »
Day one was a success! I'll post pics soon. I was able to inventory about 1/4 of my books, all our "prepping" books are now easily locatable.

Day 2 - May 9:
Under my bookshelves lives three fairly large cabinets. Our couch is in front of them, so they have always been a hidey hole for clutter, I know, I know. I feel the shame at all that wasted prep space! I have not figured out what i will put there, but the first step is cleaning it out! It may be the future home of all my sewing/stitching supplies.

Anyone else wanting to jump in, feel free! Don't know where to start? Pick one small space in your home. Do you have preps in a "hot" area that you really need to have some climate control on? Find a new home for them. This isnt just preps though.  Do you have everyday items piling up somewhere? Find them a new home!

Get cracking!

Offline viking

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »
Congrats Shannon for starting this project.
I planned to do that this winter. Just didn't happen.

Offline voyageur

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »
I just got home, so I have to think of something small that I can still accomplish tonight....

Offline Prepper7

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 10:16:43 PM »
Sorry about your husband.
Great idea.

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 10:26:15 AM »
31 days is officially on hold.... I started my dishwasher after dinner last night. Came back a few minutes later to find a small puddle. Figured one of the girls just dropped a piece of ice. 20 minutes later i am toe deep in water in my kitchen. A couple of years ago a pipe busted under my kitchen sink, the one that drains all the water from the kitchen out. We fixed it, replaced all the flooring, the sheet rock and it was a mess.  Apparently, we did not fix all the leaks and sealed it back up into the wall. I took out my new dishwasher thnkng it was not connected right. Nope, thats fine and not leaking. I took out my bottom sink panel, no leaks there.... In the wall, behind the sink! Same damn pipe is leaking! Now my den and kitchen floor are ruined, again! My base cabinet is ruined! My walls have 6 inches of mold on the inside of the sheetrock. All my baseboards are ruined.

So it looks like I will be learning how to build kitchen base cabinets as we dont have the funds on hand to pay some one to replace them all. We just used our nestegg to pay off all our credit cards and 3 car notes right before Christmas.  This is AFTER i get this damned leak to stop mocking me.

Oh and my flooring has been discontinued so we will have to replace the kitchen, the den, the hall, the foyer and the office and dinning room if we want it all the match.

Murphy has struck again!

Offline lettuceman

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 03:33:10 PM »
We feel your pain.

Sometimes we feel like remodeling our house with a match.

Offline Prepper7

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 06:55:22 PM »
OUCH!!!

Ever notice how, just when you embark upon a positive, self-improvement project, something in the universe paints a target on your back?

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 09:49:37 PM »
Well, look on the bright side.  After this is finished, you can mark off "organize kitchen sink cabinets!"

I'm sorry about the leak, it's certainly a sinking feeling when you realize the extent of the problem.

~TG

Offline viking

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 03:22:31 PM »
Sorry to hear about your sink T.G.
I started cleaning out the sink cabinets also.
I found a 2 foot piece of copper tubing.

This is a link that looked interesting.
It was an info show on TV.
Looked like an easy way to build cabinets
http://www.kregtool.com/

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »
Sorry to hear that Mr Murphy came for a visit! I think most of us have had something like that happen so we all understand. I have gone very simple with this house and we have tongue and groove pine for a lot of things. We no longer have any carpet, just hard wood and when we had an accident happen in the sun room, we found these "tiles" that are about 18'x3' and look VERY good. They were easy to go down, not all that expensive and can take a bit of water (in case of Mr Murphy). I don't have to worry about sheet rock issues or flooring getting ruined any more...just a suggestion.

The topic of this thread though was organization. I'm fairly good at that, but I have one area I could use help with and that is my first aid kit...I have a nice build up of first aid supplies but I'm having a hard time organizing them. I need a kit for upstairs so I don'[t have to run to the basement and scrape together what I need.  Anyone got an idea on what I could use for most minor household first aid needs? Right now I have some things under the bathroom sink, some in a kitchen cupboard (yada yada) and want them in one place....

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 11:33:32 PM »
The topic of this thread though was organization. I'm fairly good at that, but I have one area I could use help with and that is my first aid kit...I have a nice build up of first aid supplies but I'm having a hard time organizing them. I need a kit for upstairs so I don't have to run to the basement and scrape together what I need.  Anyone got an idea on what I could use for most minor household first aid needs? Right now I have some things under the bathroom sink, some in a kitchen cupboard (yada yada) and want them in one place....
Try fishing tackle boxes.

Offline voyageur

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 09:21:49 AM »
ShannonB, thanks again for starting this thread, and I'm so sorry that things haven't gone well for you.  I did want to say that our place is looking and feeling so much more organized.  Once I finished a few things, it was easier for me to move on and tackle some of the big things.  Woo hoo!

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Starting to get the hang of this.
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 02:29:49 PM »
Sorry you didn't get to continue but it did help me realize our preps are all over the place and I don't really know how much we have.  I should come up with a system to keep track and so everyone knows where stuff is.

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 09:47:27 AM »
Can we resurrect this thread? Did ShannonB get her flooring fixed? Did she get her preps organized?

I need to get my preps organized. I don't mind that some things are scattered all over, so long as it is intentional and functional units that puts the stuff where it is most frequently needed and not just an excuse for clutter or using something but not putting it back. or actually putting it away properly when it first came into my house. For example, I have most of my sewing supplies in my 'work room" upstairs where most of my serious sewing is done. But I also have a few small drawers of sewing stuff downstairs where I sit to do emergency sewing and hand mending by the woodstove. That is very functional for me - it would be more organized but not as functional if I kept everything upstairs in the work room.

Anyway, today I am going to commit to cleaning out one of my kitchen pantry shelves - it is currently a hodgepodge of kitchen towels, a few placemats and table cloths, a tacklebox full of misc. craft items, a bunch of flashlights, the majority of which aren't working, and God knows what else that has gotten slipped into there when company was coming and got burried in the back.

This is going to be a slow process and may well take me a lot longer than 31 days, but at least I am finally trying to get something done on this front!

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 08:41:33 AM »
(I'll just talk to myself here for a while. Even if no one else shows up on the thread, It is helping motivate me to get some things done...)

I did get that shelf cleaned last night, in spite of the fact that I really didn't want to do it! In addition to the basic decluttering and organization perks, I made a couple of nice prep strides in that I got my vet meds better organized and also drug out all those flashlights - some pricey equipment, others merely trinkets. I delegated the task to dh of sorting through them and separating the current use and the remove batteries and store ones  from the this is a piece of cheap junk not worth keeping ones. He put new batteries in the good ones, which meant I had to organize the battery basket on the next shelf (and add various sizes to my Purchase on the Next Trip to Town list).

My goal for today is to tackle that next shelf. It is full of tape (duct, masking, electrical, and misc others), lightbulbs, aerosols that can't go out in the unheated utility room, and Heavens only knows what else has crept in there.

BTW, did I mention these shelves are BIG? They are about 36" deep by about 40" wide. They hold a LOT of stuff and it's easy for the things in back to become invisible.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 09:46:29 AM »
Good luck hilljen!  Let us know how it goes!

Offline hoosiermom

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 08:31:23 PM »
Hilljen, thanks for getting this thread going again!  For whatever reason, I've been in the same mood.  I am very good at procuring items but then get them home and think to myself, "Seriously, where is all of this supposed to go?"  A system is truly what I need and crave.  So, I started a few weeks ago by making an inventory of a box of first aid supplies I have in the bathroom cabinet.  BECAUSE... I have similar supplies in the kitchen, and in a more readily-accessible cabinet in another bathroom. So, I just need to know where it all is, because, as someone once brilliantly pointed out on this forum somewhere (if I ever find it again, I'll give proper credit because it was a genius statement), "If you don't know where it is, you might as well not have it."  TRUER WORDS WERE NEVER SPOKEN!!!

Even though it's December and it's busy and we're enjoying the Christmas season, I painted my bedroom this past weekend.  Now I can move forward with my plans for making that area more storage-friendly in a non-ugly way.  Sorry, couldn't think of a better way to put it. 

Call it nesting, whatever, I'm determined to figure out exactly what we have, and where it is, so other people can use it, too!

ShannonB - so sorry for all that happened this past year.  Hope you find this thread again and update us.  I do much better with others sharing my same organization pain.   :)

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 06:04:07 PM »
Ran into a minor snag. Dd invited a friend over to spend the night, so I took time to get the place "company ready". Wasn't too much work, but took some time to dust, vaccuum, and get all the laundry rounded up, sorted, washed, dried, folded, etc.

I hope to finish attacking that cabinet this weekend. I did the top 2 shelves a few weeks ago. If I can get this one, then that whole section will be done.

After the pantry, I want to do a big declutter run all around the downstairs of my home in an attempt to be proactive about Christmas visitors. This will include kitchen surfaces, the living room entertainment center, magazine racks in several rooms. And the big one - my bookshelves. We are about to transition over from traditional homeschooling to online homeschooling so I can declutter a lot of books and supplies.

You all know how it is with a sleep over - no sleep until it's over. Maybe I can get some of my work done tomorrow morning while they are still asleep.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 06:41:19 PM »
our up stairs is all sloped ceilings, so we have this short space with an angle to store things. However, it is constantly a mess, so I tackled it this last week! As I packed up stuff to go in the sloped space, I wrote down a mini map of where it was, which was one reason why it was such a mess..."I KNOW it's here somewhere" syndrome.  While up there, I took the time to pack up my entertainment books and use the shelves for both preps and my prep books.  I feel much better getting that accomplished.
I also meant to say a while back...thanks for someone on this thread suggesting the tackle box for a first aid kit! I did just that and everyone is happy. I also got crafty and wrapped some old coffee cans with some decorative paper I had and put a label on them for the bits and pieces I've been prepping, like extra glasses, pins, small scissors, safety pins and so on. Those will go on a shelf in the book case as well.
I'm hoping to find more places to organize better, so please keep this thread going! ;D

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 02:18:48 PM »
I am alive!  We didnt realize how much of a mess the flood created. Have built and installed all new kitchen cabinets, i learned how to lay tile, so we tiled our kitchen and dinning room. Removed a wall and make the kitchen/dining one big room, extending the kitchen and making it twice as big. The office off the old dinning room is now our new dinning room, much bigger. Flooring is down in the den and living room but not the hall or foyer yet. I still have a LONG way to go.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 01:57:47 PM »
Welcome back :)

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »
Welcome back.  I am glad to hear the house is coming back together. 

I will be starting to organize and inventory my home on Saturday.  I am really looking forward to organizing my stuff to be better prepared and be more efficient.  My deadline is February 3rd when my spring semester starts.

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 10:23:13 PM »
Hooray! I finally got that last shelf cleaned!!! Goodness gracious, what a mess it was. The contents covered the entire top of my kitchen table. About a third went to the other cabinet where we store misc. electronic stuff. A bit more than another third went to the utility room where it belonged. The shelf looks so incredibly empty now - only about half as full as it was before. And I can put my hand directly on anything in there when I want it. No fumbling or digging around for stuff.

Like everyone else, I have had a lot come up recently. Especially with all the holiday festivities nearly upon us. So I have been unfortunately slower than I had hoped on decluttering the kitchen counters and other clutter hot spots downstairs. However, I will try hard to keep at it. Tomorrow will be crazy but I have heard that we may get a wintery mix on Friday so perhaps I can stay home and get more done.

ShannonB, glad to hear you are still alive and kicking! It boggles the mind how one "small" problem can have such a huge impact on things. Hopefully you are getting lots of good things you want in exchange for all your trouble.

Offline hoosiermom

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »
ShannonB, glad to hear from you!  Your new kitchen area sounds great.  Hilljen, you are an inspiration!  The tackle box idea is also a good one - would be good for a quick sewing kit area, too.  I'm trying to find a storage bench of some sort that will look nice in my bathroom - it will become my first aid area.  We have 2 rugby players, one of whom also ice skates, and a future softball player, so we have lots of gauze, wrapping stuff, etc.  Plus splints for broken fingers, hurt ankles, etc.  All that stuff takes up space, and is right now as I type in a laundry basket on the floor of my closet.  Sigh...  love being prepared for minor emergencies but hate tripping over it.  Hey, at least I know where THAT stuff is, lol!

Dear hubby has my new counter top ready to go, on top of the gorgeous cabinets he and his dad made for my scrapbooking materials.  All that can now be properly placed, so that the rest of that area can be maintained. 

He is home now through after New Year's, and I have big plans for high shelves in the laundry room.  High ceilings = awesome unused storage potential.  And those coffee cans (plastic) make for great storage bins.  Love the idea of putting scissors, safety pins, etc. in those.  My husband keeps wanting to recycle these things, but anything that works I keep.  I keep telling him to think like a farmer. 

And Hilljen - we are due for 1-3" of snow.  My kids have their last day of final exams tomorrow - one is hoping to push off finals til after the new year, and the other I think just wants them over and done with.  The youngest is in the middle - she is in 4th grade, and just wants a delay so that we can still have the class Christmas party!  :)

Offline scienceteacher

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 02:13:58 PM »
I too have great survival supplies and food storage in desperate need of organization. any ideas would help.