Author Topic: 31 days to an organized AND inventoried Home!  (Read 19083 times)

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
Re: 31 days to an organized AND inventoried Home!
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 02:54:48 PM »
Okay, do we want to continue with this thread or do we want to open a new one for 2013? I'm kind of thinking we should open a new one to keep the more recent posts most easily accessible.

Anyway...Christmas went pretty well for us, only a couple of grab-and-stash moments around my house, where I had to shove something away to make way for company.

Today I was in a blah mood and had a lot of trouble motivating myself, but I did manage to do some laundry, scrub the 1/2 bath, straighten up the various piles of Christmas debris, and oddly enough - clean out my side of the bedroom closet. I still need to finish the laundry, scrub the main bathroom, and vaccuum up and down stairs.

While I've been working, I've been pondering the best way to approach my organizational dilemma. I have my normal household stuff that could benefit from a serious reorganization and also my preps that desperately need the organizing fairy to pay us a visit. I have kind of decided on a blitz to get the preps organized and just focusing on basic maintenance level for the household stuff for now. Unless, as is the case for a few spots, I need to do some household clearing before I can order the preps in that area.

I spent some time today working on my laundry room. I threw a bunch away and have a sizeable pile of stuff to take to the thrift store. But now I am at the level of just moving things from one spot to another and not making much headway. I may try to hit the pet supplies area today but that will be it in there for a while.

Tomorrow my big goal is to clear out a space in the even messier utility room and stack my Level 2 food prep buckets there, neatly agains the wall instead of all over the utility and laundry room. (I have my food preps separated into 3 levels - the first is the smaller sized containers of stuff I currently have open and am using in my kitchen, Level 2 is the buckets I use to resupply the smaller ones. Level 3 are the sealed buckets that have a very long shelf life and that I only access and check once or twice a year (grains, mylar packaged dried foods, etc.).

After I get my Level 2 stuff at least all grouped together and in an orderly stack, I need to recheck my inventory and make a list of what needs replaced. I keep my canned goods as part of my Level 1 storage, on my large kitchen pantry shelves. I try to keep about 4 - 6 months in active use areas and another 4 - 6 months worth piled in the pantry resupply areas. I wish I could put the resupply canned stuff in the Level 2 area, but that area is unheated and I assume would freeze.

So anyway, thanks for putting up with me as I muse my way through developing my plan for when, what and where I will do my reorganizational stuff. My hope is to have all my preps areas functional and orderly by the end of January. I would also like to have an inventory list of needed additions and replacements by then. I think I will let the regular household stuff continue on in abject clutter and squalor for at least another month, since I think the preps are a higher priority than the craft supplies, seasonal clothing, etc. If I get antsy and want to do something small, I can fill in my time with little things like cleaning out a drawer or one shelf of a cabinet.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 07:15:57 PM »
ShannonB, glad to hear from you!  Your new kitchen area sounds great.  Hilljen, you are an inspiration!  The tackle box idea is also a good one - would be good for a quick sewing kit area, too.  I'm trying to find a storage bench of some sort that will look nice in my bathroom - it will become my first aid area.  We have 2 rugby players, one of whom also ice skates, and a future softball player, so we have lots of gauze, wrapping stuff, etc.  Plus splints for broken fingers, hurt ankles, etc.  All that stuff takes up space, and is right now as I type in a laundry basket on the floor of my closet.  Sigh...  love being prepared for minor emergencies but hate tripping over it.  Hey, at least I know where THAT stuff is, lol!

Dear hubby has my new counter top ready to go, on top of the gorgeous cabinets he and his dad made for my scrapbooking materials.  All that can now be properly placed, so that the rest of that area can be maintained. 

I use one of the 9 cube versions of this type shelving unit in my bathroom with fabric bins that fit in the spaces.  It has reduced a good deal of the clutter and makes finding things in the bathroom easier. 

http://www.target.com/p/cubeicals-espresso/-/A-13921261

Offline Hilltopper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »
I am in the same boat, and tackling multi levels of adding better serving structure in my life  , from exercise to being more organized.  Today is actually my day to clean and reorganize the feed room in my barn by  making room and adding large metal barrels for various grains .   This is to organize feed storage for adding to my meat animal production in spring with more chickens , ducks and rabbits .     
But I thought I would share an ongoing project to tackle organizing preps in my basement .  I am   taking a small unfinished 10' x 10'  room  with a closet built in already and I am in the process of making that side of the room a  walk in closet for clothing which will free up closets upstairs and organize my wardrobe and accessories in one space . Walking in and seeing my wardrobe organized is very rewarding .   However the other half of the room is entirely concealed from view by clothing but is acccessable by pushing a few full length dresses aside near the back of the walk in closet and walking into a floor to ceiling shelving  for dry goods prep storage utilizing about  6 x 10 feet of the original room .  I am working on labeling rubbermaid tubs in there tonight and thanks to this thread I think I will keep a binder and start an inventory .   

Offline hoosiermom

• Prepper
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 07:10:56 PM »

But I thought I would share an ongoing project to tackle organizing preps in my basement .  I am   taking a small unfinished 10' x 10'  room  with a closet built in already and I am in the process of making that side of the room a  walk in closet for clothing which will free up closets upstairs and organize my wardrobe and accessories in one space . Walking in and seeing my wardrobe organized is very rewarding .   However the other half of the room is entirely concealed from view by clothing but is accessable by pushing a few full length dresses aside near the back of the walk in closet and walking into a floor to ceiling shelving  for dry goods prep storage utilizing about  6 x 10 feet of the original room .  I am working on labeling rubbermaid tubs in there tonight and thanks to this thread I think I will keep a binder and start an inventory .   

Hilltopper , that sounds fabulous!!  I would love space like that!  When we moved I lost storage space, and I probably have it around here, but it's trying to figure it out that's the tough part.  If I ever win the lottery, I'm spending a week in The Container Store with closet measurements and a clipboard for Elfa shelving (plus all the storage stuff!!!).  I like the idea of a binder!

Offline Hilltopper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 03:04:13 PM »
This is the status of converting the small 10' x 10'  storage room to a walk in closet I can organize my wardrobe with some stealthy storage .  What you see today ...

Push aside the clothing and behind lie  two more galleys same as the one pictured  with  shelves from costco I had on hand , total cost for dowelling and hardware to hang clothes was $40 . The back 10 foot wall has yet to be built up with shelves as well.  Lots of work yet to do  but I am happy with how the storage is now more discrete.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:10:57 PM by Hilltopper »

endurance

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
Nice job, Hilltopper.  I'm trying to do some of the same things in my place; more shelving, more clothing racks, more rubbermaid containers with labels on them.  While I'm not doing an inventory sheet for each container, I am consolidating like items and putting things in good order.

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 04:30:42 PM »
+1 Hilltop!  I love the idea of stealthy storage.  My basement has an unfinished area we use for all our storage, including preps, but everything is in full view.  I may be a able to wall off a portion like your closet wall so that repairmen don't get an eyeful each time we have our furnace or cable maintained.  I have also thought about converting the space behind the stair risers into either bookshelves or drawers.   I was able to find 24" deep metal shelving at our home improvement for less than half price on Black Friday so I've been able to significantly increase the space for tubs.  Although they were advertised as holding very heavy weights per shelf, the units came with only 1/4" particle board that I replaced with 3/4" plywood.  The metal supports were excellent, though, and very easy to assemble and customize. 

I need help with the best way to store vacuum-sealed bags of dehydrated veggies.  I have many quart-sized bags that are clearly labelled, but I've been keeping them in large tubs and I forget what I have so they don't get rotated.  Suggestions anyone?

Offline hoosiermom

• Prepper
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 05:04:20 PM »
I need help with the best way to store vacuum-sealed bags of dehydrated veggies.  I have many quart-sized bags that are clearly labelled, but I've been keeping them in large tubs and I forget what I have so they don't get rotated.  Suggestions anyone?

Chickchoc - off the top of my head, what about different colored bins/tubs?  You could do something as simple as red/green/yellow.  Red is the most far away from using, yellow in between, and green is what you would use first (using stoplight colors here).  It would be fairly easy to remember, I don't know that you'd need to inventory everything right away, and you could get red and green bins easily right now. 

I think there's probably a need for inventoring in there, but that was just off the top of my head.  I seriously need to do this.  Just putting like things together is going to help I think.

Offline hoosiermom

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 05:06:08 PM »
And Hilltop, that looks great!  I so wish I had space like that!  We use a closet in our basement office, so we can easily close the doors if service people come (you can easily see the closet when looking through the office door, which is right across the hall from our tiny utility room).

I'm kind of doing some stealth storage in the bathroom with decorative boxes.  Having painted the bedroom last month, I am on a mission!!

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »
I am still working hard to get control of my food preps. I got my utility room cleaned enough to be able to work in there (although actually decluttering the sheves will be a significant task for another 31 days). I got my prep buckets gathered into the same area. I am now consolidating half empty things and restocking my kitchen (level 1) from my prep buckets (level 2). I was quite annoyed to discover that there has been some insect damage in a few of my rarely used canisters of grains in the kitchen. The chickens will be delighted tomorrow, but I am NOT amused. I will wash and sanitize them thoroughly and then try to figure out how to make the lids fit more tightly. Note to self: do not buy big quantities of those unusual grains - I will not use them up fast enough to keep them from spoiling.

I have also been on a campaign to inventory all my canned goods. I was a bit surprised and pleased to find that with a few minor purchases in January everything will be topped up to full levels for my 3 month supply. The majority of things are also topped up to the 6 month supply level, and several even to my 1 year amounts. Then I will just continue to work my way through additions for each level until I am back up to 1 full year. By the end of 2013, I'd like to have also added an additional 4 months worth so that can become the working supply and so long as I rotate and restock every 4 months, I will never drop below 1 year.

I found lots of little odds and ends that people have given me - mostly cake or dessert mixes. I need to use these up to get my cabinet space back. I still need to go through my canned and dried fruits, but think it will be similar or even closer to the 6 month mark in terms of amounts. Still have a few other kitchen shelves to clean out as well.

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2013, 06:42:08 AM »
My Christmas tree WILL COME DOWN TODAY!!!!!

Offline hoosiermom

• Prepper
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2013, 08:10:18 PM »
Hilljen, I was thinking of you today!! I am on a mission to clean out drawers, put like items together, figure out WHERE everything is, etc.!!  Basically, I feel like I have to go nonstop until I know where it all is and what it is, you know?  The past few weeks have been spent trying to reorganize my kitchen pantries, with their deep shelves which drive me literally insane, and just get it together w/ the food preps.  We have food, we have stuff, but where is it is the question.  So, I have been working on that a ton. 

I've been using Pinterest a ton for ideas, both inexpensive and decorative.  I believe your home can be prepared and look nice, on a budget, and that's what I'm striving for.  It's kind of fun!  If I can figure out how to post a picture here, I'll post some of what I've done. [I still haven't figured out how to post an avatar, if that's what it's called? The picture associated with your name?]  Today I accomplished putting all of our first aid items together, in an area that is easily reached by everyone in the family - the chest at the foot of our bed.  Out of sight, but easily accessible.  (No meds, just bandaids, gauze, etc.)

Also working really hard to get my youngest daughter's room organized - we may be making sure we have food, but she also needs to make sure the Barbies and AG Dolls have a place to go.  It's been a challenge, but we've enjoyed it, and I think we've found doable plans for a loft bed for her.

The reorganizing requires a lot of thinking, and it's like putting a puzzle together.  It's a challenge!

Hilltopper... how goes the project?

Should this thread be renamed 365 days to an organized home??? lol..

Offline Hilltopper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 10:31:33 AM »
I am definitely in need of expanding any expectation of time frame , 31 days is a great push to actually tackle what needs to be done  but I would be ahead tackling organization  even if it does take 365 days .   I got seriously sidetracked with ...  life .  Today I am tackling just the kitchen counters and the stack of ladders in the barn as things I have to put into order , surely I will be doing a lot more than that but those are a minimal expectation.  One thing to be better organized  is I will actually inventory those ladders .  It may not sound  like much but having maybe 7 of them it would not hurt  and in any event something were to happen to me I want to leave my teenage kids a good idea of what is where and what it's used for and what to do with what and so on.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2013, 08:31:34 AM »
some friends of mine say this is a great tool for getting organized.  Thought maybe it would be helpful here too.  I have not really gone over the web site or the suggestions so can not give my input on it from personal experience.   I have been more in to outside building and fencing.

Sorry I did not have the time to check it out more.   Would love to hear feed back on it if someone else has the time. 

www.flylady.net

Offline hoosiermom

• Prepper
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »
I tried flylady.net several years ago, and it was too much for me at the time (2 little ones).  At the time, Flylady would send several emails throughout the day, saying "Pick up 5 things!", etc.  If you could keep up with it, it worked great.  I couldn't; however, I do find myself using some of her principles today - like, never leave a room w/o picking up something that belongs somewhere else, taking 5 minutes to do a quick tidy in a room, etc.  I should give it a try again... I've been busting my tail organizing since Jan. 1, and had to take a break when kids got sick and inevitably other life things got in the way.  :)  I'm in much better shape now, hubby has put a few shelves up in laundry room which has helped immensely just having that extra 10 sq feet of storage, and I've rearranged an office and closet under the stairs.  Refreshing, but it never seems to end, lol!

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2013, 11:02:23 AM »
I really like flylady, except for the part about wearing lace-up shoes. I can see how it would help a suburban housewife to get dressed all the way down to her shoes every day, but I am not wearing the same shoes in my bedroom that I just went out and gathered eggs in. Nope, it's slippers and boots for me :)

Offline Hilltopper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2013, 11:52:45 PM »
I definitely am extending this overall organization project to a year long goal.  Money is tight so organizing, getting fitter, and gardening and tending animals I already have  are a priority .   I have picked up another 11 linear feet of floor to ceiling shelving . So I am still in the reorganizing furniture phase and no extensive  inventories are taken and organizing is ongoing long term.   
I really was very cluttered, rather practical stuff but much needs to be put into place for optimal utility and some needs repair and some needs to be stored neatly for future use.  I think others must have that circumstance where you have to undertake 3 or 9 other steps to get to the next item on your list?  Sigh.

Offline shastaw2006

• Prepper
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »
This sounds like a great idea! Keep the home organized, and keep a list of the home inventory in the home binder, where the entire family can find it.