Author Topic: I vacuum sealed my Flour  (Read 1241 times)

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
I vacuum sealed my Flour
« on: May 12, 2012, 12:42:43 PM »
well I decided to try and vacuum seal my flour to see if how many years it will last.

using mylar bags and a vacuum sealer, Iwas able to get a nice sealed brick like seal on it, I also patted the bag as it was sealing to condense it. from what I have read this should give me 4-5 years of shelf life.

*vacuum sealer tips that really help

1. use a small strip of the plastic vacuum sealer bags that is textured inside the mylar or the vacuum will not suck out the air, the mylar, it is to slick.

2. make sure to run the strip to all the way to the food item or the mylar will suck to itself and not get a good vacuum.

3. carefully place the plastic strip 1/4 inch below the lip of the mylar bag so you can use an iron and still seal mylar to mylar at the top of the bag.

here is my vacuum sealed flour

Offline Wild Colonial Boy

• Survivor
Re: I vacuum sealed my Flour
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 04:12:15 AM »
Hi Excaliber, just wondering if you placed any O2 absorbers in the mylar bag wih the flour or even better some silica gel satchels to combat possibilities of moisture?

Well done by the way!
Arte et Marte - With Skill and Fighting

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
Re: I vacuum sealed my Flour
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
Freezing the flour for 48-72 hrs. should kill off any weavels or their eggs. (this can also be done with rice). Even sealed and refrigerated the shelf life of flour can only be extended out to 2 years at the best. For longer term food storage in consideration of flour needs consider storing the whole grains and grinding them as needed.

Frozen flour (keeping it frozen) is supposed to last indefinitely.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.