Author Topic: Revolution (What Happens When Electricity Stops Working)  (Read 25639 times)

Offline Matthew from Gooseneck Ga

• Prepper
  • "Youth is wasted on the young." george bernard sh
Re: Revolution (What Happens When Electricity Stops Working)
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2012, 03:31:29 PM »
They are losing me soon. I know its a show.  They are dragging out this "looking for my brother" story line. I agree get rid of the girl,  her brother and the google guy. Lets see the "rebels" against the monroe dummies.

Offline nkawtg

• Survival Demonstrator
  • NKAWTG
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »
Has the show been cancelled? My DVR doesn't have any new shows scheduled.
Psalm 109:8

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2012, 05:54:42 PM »
No, it has decent enough numbers for a full first season with around 8.6 million viewers (3.9 demo Nielsen). That might be a little too low to be considered for a renewal though, at least as far as "broadcast channel" numbers go.

For comparison, Sunday Night Football gets around a 7.7 demo Nielsen. The Walking Dead Season 3 Premiere got a 5.8 demo (15.2 Million people including the second showing), which is amazing for a pay channel and incredible seeing as how AMC is not currently running on major distributor Dish Network.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2012, 08:12:29 AM »
Just not getting into the show.  3 episodes in and I have decided that I have better things to do with my time.  And it is hard to compete with Monday Night Football.
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline Nicodemus

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2012, 08:46:29 AM »
I think if the young female lead weren't involved so much it would be a far better show. As it stands now the standard story of learning how tough life is "out in the world" is a real pace killer. I believe that the previous mention that she was shoehorned into the role of a major character due to "The Hunger Games" and drawing a younger audience is probably correct. I think that either the character had always been there or the captured son was the plot device for Miles return to humanity, but that neither was meant to be much more.

I'm far more interested in Miles and Captain Neville and watching their stories develop. I really enjoyed Neville's backstory and motivational exploration in the last episode.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2012, 10:26:12 AM »
I'm guessing you're not watching the show as this week's episode revolved around a train and last weeks episode mentioned that all seagoing steamers were either destroyed in the post-event war or seized by the Monroe Republic...  ;)

I'm behind one or two episodes

Offline Burton

• Survivalist Mentor
  • NOVA Prepper
"Revolution" on hulu?
« Reply #156 on: October 17, 2012, 06:51:46 PM »
Just found this scrolling on the front page of Hulu so I started to watch ep1 ... has SHTF written all over it. Hope it turns out to be good!

Anyone else watching this series?

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: "Revolution" on hulu?
« Reply #157 on: October 17, 2012, 07:08:23 PM »
I've been watching it. There's a lengthy discussion already here.

Topic Merged
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:35:55 PM by Nicodemus »

Offline Burton

• Survivalist Mentor
  • NOVA Prepper
Re: "Revolution" on hulu?
« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2012, 07:57:05 PM »
I've been watching it. There's a lengthy discussion already here.

Topic Merged

Sorry must have pressed the search button while nested in a sub forum >_< Thanks for redirecting me!

Offline Bigjay

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2012, 03:01:17 PM »
 ;DHi I am new to the forum I love this show real fun to watch!

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #160 on: November 12, 2012, 11:10:39 AM »
Yes and I like it ;o)

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • One day my forge will be finished.
« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2012, 03:45:41 PM »
i'm really not sure if this show is gonna have another season. i'd love to see the other nations and see how they're doing with no electricity.
Contributing to TSP Forum since October 19, 2008.

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2012, 05:53:02 PM »
Casting Director:  "find me a coiffed girl who can POUT and CRY!"  Hard to stay engaged.  Miles kicks ass, though.

Offline cep89

• Survivor
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2012, 07:33:18 PM »
Mon. 11/19/12  Did the girl get cured of her gunshot by sitting down for 3 hours?  The show has very little realism in it, but this is going way too far.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2012, 08:22:35 PM »
It's losing my interest.  I can look past the nice hair/makeup, fat guy is still fat, etc, but the storyline is losing me.  I wanted to see a lot more about immediately after the collapse.  I liked the scene where Miles shot the guys that were attacking the refugees (when he was with Monroe), but the last episode was kind of "meh".  I'll still watch for a while longer, but it's no longer a "must watch" around my house.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Senior Survivalist
« Reply #165 on: November 23, 2012, 11:01:04 PM »
I think it's a great show compared to the other junk out there to watch. That probably means it will be cancelled.

I mean, Nicodemus likes football and zombies so ....  :P

Offline Nicodemus

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2012, 08:26:10 AM »
II mean, Nicodemus likes football and zombies so ....  :P

And cooking shows...  8)

Offline TexGuy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2012, 12:52:29 PM »
HAHA, I like cooking shows too.  :D

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #168 on: November 24, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »
Cooking.  That is another thing I haven't really seen anyone do too much of on this show.  Has a lot of "Suspend Disbelief" elements making it hard to stick with it.

Cooking shows +1!
People with guns but no food will discover that people with food have guns too.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2012, 01:44:33 PM »
I am behind by two episodes, so I cannot comment on "the latest."

However ...

I finally figured out something that has been bugging me as far as the lead actress who plays Charlie goes. This annoying itch I have been unable to scratch concerns this repeated "look" on her face which the director seems so enamored with endlessly doing closeups upon. Every. Single. Episode. Without fail. Closeup after closeup after closeup on the SAME look on her face. Every week.

Here's that same closeup of the actress with that same look on her face, that same tilt of her head, that same sideways trajectory to her eyes, that same lighting, that same haunted gaze of consternation.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv296/wappyws/RevolutionTvshow/revolution-tv-show-com-new-photo27.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mba9p2foDm1qc5f0fo1_500.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maptxoTTKJ1rg8g73o1_400.jpg

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/charlie%20matheson?before=1352406264 

Again and again. Every week. I am so frigging SICK of this exact same furrowed-eyebrow gaze from her. It's making her into a one-note actress for the director to INSIST upon showcasing this wannabe iconic look from her. And what I have finally figured out is that it is NOT an iconic look which she developed herself (nor even one that the director developed himself). Instead I finally realized it is SOMEONE ELSE'S iconic look, and the director is merely borrowing shamelessly from it. Every. Single. Episode. Without fail. 

I know what the director is TRYING to do. And frankly I am of the opinion that what he's doing does NOT work! Instead of it being somehow haunting and penetrating, it's just annoying as all hell.

HERE is what the director thinks he is mimicking every single stinking week when he repeatedly includes that exact same closeup of her.  He has been shamelessly trying to borrow from SOMEONE ELSE'S forrowed-eyebrow gaze.

http://www.worldsfamousphotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/afghan-woman.jpg

http://www.changesinlongitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Steve-McCurry-Afghan-Girl-photo-700x658.jpg

http://www.maati.tv/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/afghan-girl.jpg

Sorry, man. Television does NOT work that way.

MAYBE a movie could work that way, and only if you have the actress do it just once during the course of the whole film. But serial TV doesn't work that way at all. Instead of this "look" being penetrating and instead of it invoking for us the same amazing experience we get from that other world famous image, this Charlie look is becoming a weekly cliche for that poor actress whom you are embarrassing via this failure of an artistic choice you are making. 

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:53:33 PM by Oil Lady »
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »
re Steve McCurry's photo.

then and now:

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #171 on: November 30, 2012, 08:52:54 PM »
Far more real version of how everyone in Revolution would have changed over the 15 years...

On another note, there have been rumors swirling about the show being cancelled, but from everything I have dug up, they are really refering to some ABC daytime show called "THE Revolution".  Flaws and all, I hope the show does stay on, as it beats the hello out of 98% of the rest of what is on TV.
People with guns but no food will discover that people with food have guns too.

Offline cep89

• Survivor
« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »
I would like to see a fictional show about some real disaster, emp, Yellowstone eruption, large scale terrorist attack.  This show is about some magical force field that prevents electrical power.  The walking dead is good for realism, but Zombies, they don't exist.  Part of why I watch these shows is to learn something.  Learning how to kill zombies is not useful.

Offline bigbear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2013, 10:53:22 AM »
Revolution came back on Monday.  First episode in a while.  I'm not sure if it'll last, but I will say it was much more engaging this time.  I think they producer/editor/someone must have changed.  It just seemed more polished than previously.

It was losing me previously, but I'm going to stay with it to see if the changes stick.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
- Isaac Asimov

Offline FoolishCop

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »
I started watching the show during the blackout caused by Hurricane Sandy and thought it was so appropriate. I had high hopes for it, but it quickly devolved into typical TV fare.

I'm probably overly sensitive to watching and hearing liberal stereotypes espoused but I saw that that was where the show was heading, which first made me begin to tire of it. And then that girl Charly (sp?) was so damn annoying and righteous every episode I couldn't stand it anymore. After a certain point I didn't even bother watching any more and I'm certain I couldn't begin to get back into the new season since I've come to hate just about all the characters.

Other than that it's great!  ;D

Rich

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2013, 05:39:11 PM »
I am giving it a go again. I have to watch it online on my laptop however.

Cedar

Offline TexGuy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #176 on: April 03, 2013, 12:58:52 AM »
I am giving it a go again. I have to watch it online on my laptop however.

Cedar

I only two things. If SHTF I need to find a pendant, or have you as a neighbor!

Hope you make it to Texas!!!

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #177 on: April 03, 2013, 09:28:10 AM »
I only two things. If SHTF I need to find a pendant, or have you as a neighbor!
Hope you make it to Texas!!!

*S*... I have been to San Antonio once.. it was a nice place to visit. But I think I will stay in my PNW. I know the land here.

Cedar

Offline vickyanns

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #178 on: April 03, 2013, 10:21:31 AM »
They need to bring back Jericho

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2013, 09:25:41 PM »
This season is a little better so far, but I'm still on the bubble. And the whole time, I'm complaining about things. How is the librarian guys wife still helpless after making it 15 years in a post-apocalyptic world when a guy comes in menacing her? And why didn't Danny jump for cover after firing the rocket?  Wouldn't survival of the fittest have weeded out the people without basic survival instincts?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle