Author Topic: Firestarter recipe  (Read 15407 times)

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Firestarter recipe
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 03:26:03 AM »
That and holding your blade steady and pulling your firesteel back towards you.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 03:51:54 AM »
Ahhh, rather than striking the blade along the striker?  Yeah, I had that reversed.  Any idea why that makes a difference?

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 05:41:28 PM »
Ahhh, rather than striking the blade along the striker?  Yeah, I had that reversed.  Any idea why that makes a difference?
Look at the motion that you use when you strike the blade against the flint.  You are moving toward your tinder, and if your hand is to quick, you could scatter your tinder.

If you pull the flint backwards from the blade, then your motion is moving away from the tinder, and will pretty much eliminate the risk of 'missing' the bundle with the sparks.

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »
Look at the motion that you use when you strike the blade against the flint.  You are moving toward your tinder, and if your hand is to quick, you could scatter your tinder.

If you pull the flint backwards from the blade, then your motion is moving away from the tinder, and will pretty much eliminate the risk of 'missing' the bundle with the sparks.

That and your point of origin for your sparks stays the same, making them easier to concentrate in one spot.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2012, 06:47:33 PM »
Thanks guys, that makes a fair amount of sense.  I'll try the technique out later on.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »
I just use cotton balls (not synthetic) and impregnate them with petroleum jelly.  Roll them up in a paper towel to squish them flat.  I can put a dozen of them into a tiny zip-lok bag (folds up almost flat 2"x2").  Half of one, when teased apart will start any fire with a spark.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2012, 07:44:52 PM »
I just use cotton balls (not synthetic) and impregnate them with petroleum jelly.  Roll them up in a paper towel to squish them flat.  I can put a dozen of them into a tiny zip-lok bag (folds up almost flat 2"x2").  Half of one, when teased apart will start any fire with a spark.
I do the same but store them in old prescription pill bottles. re-using something, water proof, tough, wont leak or tear.