Author Topic: Best Alpha - Strategy Items?  (Read 2524 times)

Offline sprintermike

• Prepper
Best Alpha - Strategy Items?
« on: March 30, 2012, 06:01:52 PM »
I'm hoping most people have read or know the book The Alpha Strategy by John Pugsley (I was fortunate enough to read about it here a year or two ago).
I am starting my Alpha Strategy, but I'm a little set back by how much room it takes to store items. I bought 34 sticks of deodorant at $3/ea for about $100 worth of value.
It also took up one entire shoebox.
If I'm going to get the dollar amount I want out of this, I'm going to have to find items that are "value dense" (high cost in a small space), and have a long shelf life.
Can people give me their suggestions? This is not a SHTF list, this is an "inflation is eroding your wealth, what would you store list?

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Best Alpha - Strategy Items?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:08:49 PM »
Depending on your taste, a lifetime supply of whiskey can be a nice inflation hedge.  Small expensive things like razor blades are good also.

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:49:45 PM »
Is Alpha Strategy worth reading?  I don't like reading PDFs on the screen and it is old so I have not read it. 

I would look at upgrading insulation, energy efficient heat-AC, and possibly adding solar power.  I have stocked up on things like soap and razor blades already.  Gas will be one of the most expensive things so get a high MPG car.  Consider buying a bicycle and extra tubes.  Buy extra shoes and boots.  Tools and hardware would also be a good item to get now.  Buy a good safe and invest in improving security at your home.

Offline sprintermike

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 04:17:02 AM »
It is certainly worth reading. The majority of the book is about the money supply, how the modern version of investing works (or doesn't). About the last 25-30% of the book is the real meat and bones of the alpha strategy. It is one book I would absolutely not give up.
Look for it on Amazon.com.
Copies are frequently listed for $25-95!!!! But check every couple of days and you'll find someone list it for a much lower price (I bought mine for about $8).

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:19:53 AM »
I haven't read it but I do this sort of thing with really good deals, I have stocked up my favorite deodorant and soaps too. We recently just broke open our last case of bar soap. I bought them in 2003, so almost 10 years ago...not sure what I spent back then though. Ever since 2007 I keep a record keeping type book on our pantry and prep items, I list the buy date, cost, number purchased and noted expiration date if any. It's amazing to see what items have gone up in cost, like Meat & Coffee.

I would recommend some other items, but on vacation and I don't have the book in front of me to reference...

Offline iggi

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 01:01:22 AM »
Inflation is not quite the same problem as in 1970s when AS came out.  Also, the explosion of cheap goods from Asia and elsewhere had not happened then either.
Saving consumables is ranked down the list anyway from investment in education and production.  Also, storing consumables makes sense only if you got them very cheap in the first place.
Take razorblades ... they are now not only cheaper than they were 10 years ago, but through focus on career and education we can afford them easier  now as well. 
I think the place to start is  investing in production goods.  This can be equipment for food preservation, or tools for learning new craft skills or gardening.  You see, this overlaps other areas of prepping interests as well, like self sufficiency and food security.    All investment ideas follow from thinking about the bigger picture/plan you might/should have for the future, and working towards the details.  You can draw a flowchart of what inputs are needed for what and quickly will realize which items will be useful in more ways than one.  On those items obviously focus.