Author Topic: Best Martial arts to learn?  (Read 23022 times)

Offline blueyedmule

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Best Martial arts to learn?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 06:05:28 AM »
You might consider looking at a Wing Chun group that plays real hard--ie. sparring with some gear on. Or look for a Jeet Kune Do group that does some hard hitting from time to time. Hard sparring with gear is supposed to be one of the base tenets of JKD.

If you are lucky enough to have a good Russian Systema teacher you might also consider that. The practiced looseness and how you learn to mirror your opponent so that his every move becomes your opening can be very good; also that they focus on not giving yourself away. It seems to be very focused on countering, that I've seen so far on the youtubes. I love how it flows so logically from whatever you encounter. Simple and direct.

Just remember fights don't play by martial arts rules. I am more afraid of someone who has practiced a few basic things ten thousand times than someone who has practiced ten thousand things once.

Shoot, I think you could get something worthwhile from BET training if you practice it consistently.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »
It occurred to me today to add something else here. Whatever your martial art of choice is, get a solid base of physical power. I cannot strongly enough recommend using a dynamic strength approach such as actual striking on a bag, kettlebells, battle ropes, and medicine balls. I am interested in trying a Bulgarian bag but haven't yet.

I used to be a competitive power lifter. Straight weight training doesn't give the dynamic benefit these other workouts do. With little cost I have a fairly solid setup in my garage that I promise would be hard for professional fighters (though I'm not nearly as tough as they are).

Look into crossfit, MMA training, caveman training, etc. just to harden up and really have the explosive power to throw down. Good luck!

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 03:24:35 AM »
 I like kung fu/tai chi which are soft but complex martial arts. These are also health systems and not just self defense. I think many athletes probably harm their health from working out too hard. I don't agree that martial arts are about strength primarily. Bruce Lee had some muscles, but he does not look like the most muscular guy you can imagine. I think the guy who invented aikido was showing people his skills into his 70's. If it was about strength mainly, you might as well give it up when you reach 65, 70 or 80. 

I can't say that I am a serious practitioner as some people are, however I have defended myself with kung fu on an occasion. I also had a mystical like experience in a fight as a child where someone attacked me and I effortlessly defended myself only using one hand and not even putting down my books that where in my other hand. 

There is a difference between competition and self defense. competition is a game that has rules and points. It may have benefits but it is not the same because the opponent is not truly attacking you so it's not personal in the same way nor does it have the same sense of danger or urgency. It's also about overcoming fear and acceptance of the mortality of the body because you will not be here forever. If you believe winning is only about preserving the physical body, then you will eventually lose because you can't expect to remain on the earth forever in your present form, that is where the spiritual aspect applies. If you have fear then it may hamper your ability, and yet we all have some fear so in many ways that is the true opponent. Not to be reckless either but to be guided by a steady mind of wisdom. Man is not strong at all when compared to many animals. Many apes and chimps I believe are much stronger, but man has a higher mind and spirit that he should engage that as well and not cater to his lower animal instincts.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »
Took some Krav Maga classes last year and thought they really helped.  Were too expensive, but I continue to train on some of the fundamentals.  The place I went had a heavy emphasis on fitness, but talking to the owner it was more of a filler.  Some people complained they weren't getting enough out of the class when he first started it because they were focusing on technique.  He taught technique well, but was just giving people the extra fitness. 

I really liked his philosophy: Best case is to avoid a fight at all costs, next best is to end the fight as soon as possible.  He showed punches, kicks, knee and elbow strikes, defense, etc.  but all with the emphasis of going for the throat, eyes, knee, etc.  While there was some sparring, he acknowledged that it is impossible to truly spar with the degree of self defense that he was emphasizing.  I got a lot out of the class and feel that all of the practice with other people will increase my odds of acting correctly in the situation should it ever arise. 

You can't go wrong getting some kind of martial arts or fighting training.  Some will be better for you than others in that they will maximize your strengths or hid your weaknesses, or they may coincide with your personal philosophy.