Author Topic: Alcohol for Disaster Hygiene?  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Alcohol for Disaster Hygiene?
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
greetings all!

I have a question on how good is Alcohol in kill germs in disaster home sanitation.

i.e. there are too many guests at home and you want to take extra hygiene measures.
would scrubbing surfaces with alcohol liek toilet seat covers and handles halp any or there will still be germs that will survive it?
(obviously you will still be enforcing a proper cleaning regiment)

BTW I am talking about an alcohol form of 93% ethanol that is dyed blue that is available for cheap here in Greece.

TNX Greekman

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
Re: Alcohol for Disaster Hygiene?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:54:11 AM »
GreekMan,
In the states, Lysol spray cleaner/disinfectant is 80% ethanol (denatured / undrinkable).  I would imagine your 93% ethanol would work just fine as long as the blue dye doesn't stain anything.

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:31:23 PM »
I use to keep 50ml bottles of Vodka stashed everywhere for cleaner/disinfectant. Even in the takle box so if I hooked myself or a catfish fin got me.

Until I ran out of whiskey and drank them all.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 05:31:27 AM »
GreekMan,
In the states, Lysol spray cleaner/disinfectant is 80% ethanol (denatured / undrinkable).  I would imagine your 93% ethanol would work just fine as long as the blue dye doesn't stain anything.

I am asking becuase those disinfectants usually have other anti-microbial chemicals too.
SO I wonder of the efeectiveness of just alcohol

Offline Loki

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:43:22 AM »
Ethanol kills bacteria no problem. However, very high % alcohol probably wouldn't do your skin much good since it absorbs a lot of water from the tissue. Sort of how drinking vodka, whiskey or other spirits dehydrate and burn your throat.

You would want to be sure what additives are in it, too. Some additives might not be good to get in wounds: they might sting badly, stop the wound from properly healing or be toxic if they leach into your blood. Some contain higher % of methanol, too, which would not be so good to put on your skin.

(Depending on the country all kinds of additives are put into denatured alcohol ranging from simple dyes to chemicals to make people vomit if they drink it. There's little way of telling how good those things are for you.)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 12:19:56 AM »
Oh I know...Overhere the blue dye is a form o Cyanide salt....So it is very bad!

But since my interest is in dissefecting surfaces it seems we are GTG

Offline tyananomura

• Prepper
  • Hope for the best prepare for the worst
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 12:59:43 AM »
Good old bleach kills more than alcohol in the way of bacteria and other diseases you don't want to catch.  Just mix up some spray bottles in a 10% solution spray it down and wipe it up after a few minutes.  Just an FYI bleach is one of the only things that Kills the Noro virus and HIV.  Noro is more likely when large groups of people get together.  Then you don't have to worry about the blue dye.

Offline RandomSerenity

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • My crummy little blog journal
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 07:55:30 PM »
What about peroxide? And vinegar? Not together. Oh and thyme. And lemon. I'm just mentally going through all those "how to make household disinfectants" blogs in my head...