Author Topic: Nearly lost bits of advice  (Read 28060 times)

Offline Archetype

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Nearly lost bits of advice
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2012, 10:55:53 AM »
Never argue with a moron.  They will drag you down to thier level and beat you with experience.

Tracers work in both directions.

"Buddy" is only half of a word.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2012, 12:36:52 AM »

I went down to the dam to get some dam water but the dam man wouldn't let have any dam water so I told the dam man to keep his dam water and I went home without any of the dam man's dam water.  (Teaching us boys how to swear without getting in trouble)  ;), Dam I miss that man and his wisdom.

HOOVER DAM!!!  That's funny!!

I'll add the woodworking rule I learned from an old-timer.  It's the "6, 8, 10 rule" for determining if something is square or not.

An example - From the corner, measure the height to 6" and mark it.  Measure the width from the same corner to 8" and mark it.  Now measure the distance between the two marks.  If it measures 10" you have a square corner.  You can do this in mm, inches, feet, whatever.  You can also change it from "6, 8, 10" to "3, 4, 5" or "9, 12, 15" or "12, 16, 20" (etc.).  This handy rule has kept me from having crooked chicken coops and cockeyed bookshelves.  It also saves your butt when your toddler runs off with your square (presumably to use on another project).

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2012, 05:45:18 AM »

I'll add the woodworking rule I learned from an old-timer.  It's the "6, 8, 10 rule" for determining if something is square or not.

An example - From the corner, measure the height to 6" and mark it.  Measure the width from the same corner to 8" and mark it.  Now measure the distance between the two marks.  If it measures 10" you have a square corner.

And around here if it 6  8   9 several times it's called good enough.  ;)   There was a crooked man who had a crooked house…. There was a crooked lady who build a crooked barn wood shed turkey house…..  Oh well long as it won't blow over and don't leak at least it all matches.  ;D  Yeah that's it I worked hard to get it that way.  Whimsical that's it. 

Offline mal_556

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »

" When you're 8... grandpa is faster than he looks "

when i was 10 or 11 my dad told me "son, old men are like bears, the first 50 yards your dead, after that, your scott free."  :)

Offline mal_556

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2012, 10:44:35 AM »

another one from my father that i find myself quoting more as of late: "old age and treachery wins over youth and exuberance."   Luckily i was young enough to not know what treachery meant so i asked and dad explained both the original meaning of the word and how he meant it. funny part is i have only recently begun to see how both meanings of the word readily apply.  :o

nelson96

« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2012, 02:06:40 PM »

An example - From the corner, measure the height to 6" and mark it.  Measure the width from the same corner to 8" and mark it.  Now measure the distance between the two marks.  If it measures 10" you have a square corner.  You can do this in mm, inches, feet, whatever.  You can also change it from "6, 8, 10" to "3, 4, 5" or "9, 12, 15" or "12, 16, 20" (etc.).  This handy rule has kept me from having crooked chicken coops and cockeyed bookshelves.  It also saves your butt when your toddler runs off with your square (presumably to use on another project).

+1 Flippy . . .  I've always known this as the "3-4-5 rule" or pythagorean theorem . . . .  I've found it most useful when building large structures (buildings, fences, foundations) when you can't use a small reference such as a common square or a sheet of plywood (that you know is square).  I used it most recenlty to square my poles to build my 34 x 48 pole barn.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »

when i was 10 or 11 my dad told me "son, old men are like bears, the first 50 yards your dead, after that, your scott free."  :)

A couple of months ago, my wife spent the night at my eldest daughter's - she had to go to a conference for work, and my SIL was out of town on business. The three grand-daughters - 17, 14 and 12 would probably done OK by themselves, but, just in case...... My daughter's instructions to her kids ended, "....and if you are thinking about giving Grandma a hard time, remember this: She may look old and fat, and have trouble getting around, but if you pi$$ her off, she CAN and WILL tree you, then whup your a$$ when you try to climb down!!!

Fortunately, the girls decided not to test the issue.

soup

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2012, 06:33:25 PM »
"Always keep your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark." - Heinlein
"If you have to grab something, grab your weapons. It is far better to fight naked than to die modest." - soupbone

soupbone

Offline jpbearit

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2012, 12:15:11 PM »
My sister asked my father the other day why he was not saying no to his grandkids. his reply was as simple and direct as I've ever heard him....

"that's not my job."

Offline mal_556

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2012, 04:30:22 AM »
A couple of months ago, my wife spent the night at my eldest daughter's - she had to go to a conference for work, and my SIL was out of town on business. The three grand-daughters - 17, 14 and 12 would probably done OK by themselves, but, just in case...... My daughter's instructions to her kids ended, "....and if you are thinking about giving Grandma a hard time, remember this: She may look old and fat, and have trouble getting around, but if you pi$$ her off, she CAN and WILL tree you, then whup your a$$ when you try to climb down!!!

Fortunately, the girls decided not to test the issue.

soup

Soup, that is just awesome!!!   :clap:  I wish i would have had the chance to see my grandparents more then i was younger, most have past on and with me servicing overseas... heck i have a hard enough time trying to get home for my immediate family's important events.