Author Topic: Mosquito deterrent  (Read 10282 times)

Offline jerseyshore

• Prepper
Mosquito deterrent
« on: May 28, 2011, 08:12:39 AM »
Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on using dry ice in a bucket or two to keep them away from the family picnic?

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Mosquito deterrent
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 09:26:56 AM »
Never heard of that.  ??? More details please.

Offline jerseyshore

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 02:19:43 PM »
Well...i never really heard of it either...but i was thinking that if the little buggers are attracted to carbon monoxide...and dry ice releases carbon monoxide....just wondering if it would work

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 04:22:19 PM »
That's carbon dioxide, CO2, in both cases. Might be worth a try.

Offline jerseyshore

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 04:38:42 PM »
thank you...happy holiday

annestacey

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »
Why not just use citronella candles?  They should work fine for repelling mosquitos.

Offline jerseyshore

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 06:16:20 AM »
We live in a heavily wooded area and fear that the citronella would get knocked over.  Im hoping that the breezes will work with us and keep them at bay today.   

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 06:45:42 AM »
Can you grow citronella plants?  If so every time you go outside just rub some of the leaves to release the smell.  I grew a plant in my garden one year and it worked great at keeping the bugs away while I was gardening.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 06:53:59 AM »
Lemon balm works as well. I planted some around my patio that I sat on when I still lived up north. I never got a mosquito bite, and mosquitos love my blood. I didn't even rub it on me. I just had plants on the patio.

Offline jerseyshore

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 06:57:42 AM »
Yes....i did grow that last year but they were from the local store...this year i opted for lemon balm which really seems to help but today we are celebrating our son coming home on leave and are having far too many people here than my little plants can support :-(.  But thank you for the reply....im sure that eventually my lemon balm which i scattered throughout the property will pay off cause i do see them but they are still little seedlings.

Offline Outdoorfury

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 10:42:45 AM »
get a Therma cell. worth it!!!

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 11:44:35 AM »
We've had some success using mint mouthwash in a spray bottle. The blue colored mint works the best. Spray it on surrounding bushes, furniture, clothes and even skin. Works for hours and is inexpensive since we use the stuff we buy at the dolloar store. :)

Offline paisleyford

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 06:35:34 AM »
Tansy weed works too, and I would assume you could rub it on your body because you can drink it as tea. maybe add it to a lotion to apply or make bouquets of it all around. There are those new battery run clip-ons that deter, clip a bunch around the picnic table? they do sell misquito traps that use electric or propane to 'breath' co2, attracting them, then they get sucked into a vacuum hose and die in a net. After a yr or 2 you have cut down the breeding so much you have fewer bugs. Costly though, but they work. they also make tall citronella torches you stab into the ground, that probably would be the best, cheapest, fastest, safest way to go...and some are refillable.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 07:33:30 AM »
The old timers used a smudge pot.
Small fire or hot coals from  fire in a bucket covered with wet/green/rotting wood. You want a cool fire so the smoke stays near ground level and far enough upwind to disperse the smoke over a large area.

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 12:01:51 PM »
Found this little gem...an inexpensive DIY mosquito trap.  Just like the bug zapper, you don't want to put these things right where you'll be staying as they attract more than they kill, but it may be an inexpensive solution.

http://www.diyhappy.com/quick-and-dirty-mosquito-trap/

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 03:19:40 PM »
If you have a tall enough tree without limb interference or a 2-story building consider putting up a bat house in addition to the immediate remedies such as mosquito repellants. Bats are mosquito eating machines!

You can purchase bat houses at just about any birding store and many hardware stores. Good site with more info. here:  http://www.batconservation.org/

Offline choctawgreen7

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 09:59:17 AM »
For personal protection, you can megadose on B complex vitamins.  I have used that in heavy infested areas with good success.  You have to begin a couple of days before and you have to be able to stand the smell that vitamin B gives off when you perspire.   

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 10:26:47 AM »
The mushroom pickers I used to hang with said to NEVER eat a banana in mosquito season as they are attracted to whatever it is in the banana which comes out through your skin. They swore by eating a whole orange everyday.. and some of them ate the peel too.. and they really did have less mosquito issues.

I use Buzz Away spray..works way better in side by side tests while fishing than DEET products in Canada.

Cedar

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 10:33:32 AM »
The mushroom pickers I used to hang with said to NEVER eat a banana in mosquito season as they are attracted to whatever it is in the banana which comes out through your skin. They swore by eating a whole orange everyday.. and some of them ate the peel too.. and they really did have less mosquito issues.

I use Buzz Away spray..works way better in side by side tests while fishing than DEET products in Canada.

Cedar
Cedar you beat me too it,..  sorta.

Good deterrent - get someone else to eat a bunch of bananas...

Offline jerseyshore

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 06:58:53 PM »
thanks all for all the great suggestions....gonna try them all...i especially like the one about letting someone else eat the bananas :-)

Offline krickie

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »
Sage is a good mosquito repellent.
You can try just hanging bunches of either fresh or dried sage around the space you want to keep skeeter free, brew up a strong sage infusion and use it as a mist, or even throw it on the fire/BBQ to make sage smoke.  If you decide to burn it, start with a very small amount at first because it's got a really strong smell that some people (myself included) really dislike.

Offline Rechovot

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Permaculture FTW!
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 11:50:14 AM »
A catnip oil solution (not straight) is also great, and doesn't smell bad.
We got a mosquito repellent mix with catnip in it from Vitamin Cottage, I think.
One possible problem though: you might get more attention from cats...YHBW ;)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 11:54:48 AM »
We got a mosquito repellent mix with catnip in it from Vitamin Cottage, I think.
One possible problem though: you might get more attention from cats...YHBW ;)

So you would be like the Pied Piper, only cats instead of rats?

Cedar

Offline Rechovot

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Permaculture FTW!
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 11:52:59 AM »
I know you've been waiting over a year for a reply, :P so here it is:

Yes, maybe then you *could* actually herd cats! ;D