Author Topic: Do you have any girlfriends who prep?  (Read 16871 times)

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Do you have any girlfriends who prep?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 12:47:17 PM »
Soup & TexDaddy take the Fifth ...  :rofl:

Offline eronious

• Prepper
  • Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Homesteading the Front Range
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 11:39:05 AM »
I don't really have many GFs that prep per sey either.  I once had a girlfriend call me because she wanted me to come sit in her car with her because she was scared, which I did of course.  She had a flat and her husband hadn't picked up the phone and she didn't know how to change her tire... I suggested that since we both had the whole interwebs on our phones, we should look up a youtube video so she could see how it was done and then take a crack at it ourselves.  I figured it was a great teaching moment, but she wasn't in a receptive mood because she was too pissed that her hubby hadn't come to rescue her yet.  So yeah.  Me?  I try to be a self-rescuing princess.   ::)

Did you guys listen to episode 916 I think it was?  the guy is a consultant that talks about disaster recovery.  Anyway, he talks about in major disaster scenarios there will be a lot of injured people and how as far as prepps go, some people are "green tags" (like toe tags first responders put on the injured) which means that they're going to be ok with minimal care, then the tags progress through yellow, red, and finally black for people that you probably won't be able to help.  He applies this principle to who he talks to about prepping.  I think most people are probably only red tags and given the right situation might be open to learning SOMETHING but there are a few black tags around.  Unfortunately, I think that particular friend might be one.  However, I have another friend that is now growing a few veggies and making her own baby food.  I got to her through talking about the yuck on most grocery store produce and overly-processed jarred crap most people feed their babies.  Now she's a total evangelist to other mothers in her stroller strides group.  Win!

The other things I've done are equally sneaky.  I went on Meetup.com and found some urban homesteading groups.  These folks are already open to the idea of producing their own food and are pretty open to other ideas like wildcrafting, fishing, hunting, canning, etc. if you are willing to host a meetup.  Then there's Christmas.  What a great oportunity to show off your mad skills with some homemade apple butter as a gift.  Or pickled asparagus, or homemade soap, or the ingredients and an instruction card for how to make laundry detergent with some fresh herbs from your garden to sweeten the deal, or a nice jar of raw sugar with lavendar, again from your garden to sweeten the dried cookie mix you put together to use up some of that flour in your food storage that needed to be rotated... again, tons of oportunity to share how easy some of this stuff is.  It's one of the reasons I insist on Homemade Christmas for the grownups in our family.  Not only that, but it's usually cheaper and I think we can all use a financial break around the holidays.  Anyway, that's how I evangelize AND find friends that are into at least part of what we do around here.  Don't be afraid to look for component skill set groups and build from there.  Someone who quilts or likes to make stuff with wood or has a beehive or pet chickens or whatever are far more likely to share a few interests with you.  And yes.  Some of them will be girlfriends.

Offline hedgewitch

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 09:31:41 AM »
i have a great group of friends but no preppers, i suspect one is a Big prepper but a secret one, but i got my Mom on board and that is wonderful, i finally have someone to talk to and discuss issues with my husband is not a prepper but lets me do my thing:)  until my Mom got on board it was a lonely project i had

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 02:06:57 PM »
i have a great group of friends but no preppers, i suspect one is a Big prepper but a secret one, but i got my Mom on board and that is wonderful, i finally have someone to talk to and discuss issues with my husband is not a prepper but lets me do my thing:)  until my Mom got on board it was a lonely project i had

The one good thing about not having friends to talk to about prepping, is that you don't have to worry about others hearing that you are a prepper.  The more people that know, the more the word will get out.  Some day that might not be a good thing. 

Alternately, "homesteading" has become more popular, as well as traditional food storage and cooking.  It's much healthier to get away from prepared foods and such, using whole foods as a basis to avoid synthetic fats and nasty additives.  While the tasks and results can be virtually the same, the stigmas attached can be better.  Who knows, some of those folks that might not ever consider "prepping" might be excited about cooking and stocking up on healthy food choices.

~TG

Offline hedgewitch

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2012, 09:55:42 PM »
so true, texasgirl, i am also from Texas but in central TX, and homesteading is a much more acceptable term, i will start using it and see if i get any bites:)

Offline Nemesis

• Prepper
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »
I don't have any friends IRL that prep to the extent that I do. I have one friend online and we are really similar in our prepping styles (focusing on sustainable prepping).

I have a girlfriend who buys in bulk and has a pretty good food storage.. but it's all grains. Not really much of anything else. I think she just likes to get a good price! :)
 I have another friend that puts up a lot of stuff for the winter and worries about the safety of food from the store.

Offline ktmae1229

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Natural Law, Catholic Life
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »
I don't have any local friends who prep, but my parents (in Texas, of course!) are preppers and I enjoy talking to them about what they're doing and vice versa. I live in the suburbs & the normalcy bias is seriously thick here, even four years into a recession. In my circle of a dozen friends, I think I'm the only one who even has a garden. If they're prepping, they're FANTASTIC at secret-keeping ;)

Offline Mary in MN

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
I have just one.  She isn't as into it as I am but at least she is there to talk to.
My husband finally got on board and that sure has made for some interesting discussions and shopping sprees.  It sure is a lot easier now. :D

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 09:07:37 PM »
At least the spouse is on board.

Mary, when you get a chance please drop by The Intro Thread to introduce yourself to the TSP forum members.

Offline Nemesis

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 07:05:44 PM »
I have just one.  She isn't as into it as I am but at least she is there to talk to.
My husband finally got on board and that sure has made for some interesting discussions and shopping sprees.  It sure is a lot easier now. :D

Where in MN are you, Mary?  I am in NE ND. :)

Offline prepgal

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2012, 08:02:51 PM »
I would like to find a girlfriend, boyfriend...anyone to share my prep interests with.  I am happy I found this forum  :)  Sure interaction with a computer is still lonely, but better than being alone.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 06:37:53 AM »
None of my friends are into it, though one might as well be one.

She had a pretty rough childhood (splitting a burger between 4 people, for instance) and she's just not going there again, so she tends to naturally stockpile.  She and her husband are fairly successful and they also have a "just do what needs to be done" attitude.  Though she's not a prepper, I think she'd do better than most.

Oh, and a warm "Hello" to all of the ladies here!

Offline RandomSerenity

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • My crummy little blog journal
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 07:17:13 PM »
I've been MIA for a bit... Divorce, blah. My new neighbors are preppers. Yay...  :)