Author Topic: Do you have any girlfriends who prep?  (Read 16971 times)

Offline RandomSerenity

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • My crummy little blog journal
Do you have any girlfriends who prep?
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:09:06 PM »
I have family members who do. My closest girlfriends tolerate my occasional prep ramblings. One even bought a 72 hr kit, and thinks about what to do in case of emergency. But mostly, I think it's a quirk of mine they accept.
It makes me sad. I want them to come around but know they won't.
What do you do? I'm ready for a real life friend who wants to get ready for if all hell breaks loose...

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
Re: Do you have any girlfriends who prep?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 12:28:39 AM »
Beckie,

It's a random thing.  Many of my long-term friends are sheeple, but some have awaken.  One sent me a link to the Builderburger article, and they put in a vegetable garden for the first time in 20 years!

I have one friend that is a Thrive Consultant, and another that heads the relief society (I think that's what they call it) at a LDS church.  It's safe to say they are both bigtime preppers.

I have to watch what is said around sheeplefriends, and moderate somewhat around the ones just waking up.  But that's no different than any other halfway controversial subject.

~TG

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 07:29:31 AM »
living in the heart of the Mormon Corridor (idaho, utah, western wyoming, arizona), most of my neighbors prep in some fashion - we talk about gardening, canning, food storage, etc as normal everyday conversations.  In fact today at church I plan on cornering a few about their solar arrays.

but as far as a girlfriend who preps on purpose - I have one.  she lives about an hour or so away, and she is a prepper.  wish she lived closer.

Offline BadgerAngel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do not get between Badger & her coffee *snarl*
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:24:47 AM »
I'm pretty much a homebody.  I don't have any close friends around here since I quit working outside the home.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 08:51:58 AM »
I feel very lucky. I can count about 6 off the top of my head that do some serious homesteading and prepping, and several more who are less into it.

Offline voyageur

• Prepper
  • Sort of new TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 09:19:58 AM »
None that I know of.  I wish I did!  Wait, actually - I do know one, but she's not a close friend.  I kind of steer clear of her because her husband is a little crazy.  And also her first cousin.  I think I'm saying too much.  Must.  Stop.  Now.

Offline BadgerAngel

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 09:38:09 AM »
Oh, wow.  Yeah, I'd probably steer kind of clear there myself...

One of my old friends from work is kind of a mountain girl type, I'd bet she may not can and put up these days, but she might know how.  It's been forever and a year since I've seen her.  Really ought to call her.

Offline voyageur

• Prepper
  • Sort of new TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 09:45:24 AM »
One of my old friends from work is kind of a mountain girl type, I'd bet she may not can and put up these days, but she might know how.  It's been forever and a year since I've seen her.  Really ought to call her.

It brings up a good point - I should be spending more time cultivating friendships like this.  Most people I know garden and can food, if they are able (rent vs. own).  But maybe I should make an effort to seek more like-minded friends.

Offline BadgerAngel

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 09:53:03 AM »
It brings up a good point - I should be spending more time cultivating friendships like this.  Most people I know garden and can food, if they are able (rent vs. own).  But maybe I should make an effort to seek more like-minded friends.

I'm starting a container garden because I rent.  I'm about three months late, but I'm in Georgia, I should be okay.  You being in the Great White North, your mileage probably varies.  :)

MightyRunt

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 04:29:28 PM »
My best girlfriend refuses to prep and states that if the poop hits the prop, she wants to be among the first to go and not be around to see how bad it gets.  So, whenever she gets in any kind of trouble, she just calls me. A friend I work with has a DH who kind of preps and she thinks it's just adorable of him. Could those be some reasons that I'm a hermit who lives in the woods?

Offline RandomSerenity

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 07:41:59 PM »
Great to know that I'm not alone... Alone. Sort of. It makes me want to find a group. Or start classes. At this point we are barely prepared. Husband on board, but I am dragging him. I have to make him plan things like "where should we meet if the SHTF?" A few weeks ago, when Dallas had a few tornados, I was home with the kids in no time bunkered up, kicking myself that I had to go to four different places in the house before I had what we needed. And then I had no one to sound off to after.
I know people are waking up. It's just that I've been awake for years. Wow this sounds like a total pity party! I'm so grateful to know what little I do and be as smally ready as I am.

And there's here, right? Wishing I'd logged on sooner;)

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 06:33:35 AM »
RS - you now have a plethora of girlfriends who prep.  ;D  can we get together IRL and have a canning session?  no.  but we can discuss canning and tornado preparedness and gardening with other people who "get it".  It is nice to have other people in my life, even if online, with whom I can relate.  I would love to have more IRL friends who do, but honestly, preppers are busy people, and getting together a lot is not as easy as a quick note here for encouragement.  Welcome to the forum :)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 07:05:27 AM »
I have one friend locally who is a big-time prepper, too (although my parents are also nearby and are very encouraging and willing to go along with nearly any crazy thing we suggest!). It is nice to have someone around who gives encouragement, shares experiences, etc. We can help each other.

We (the three of us) have developed our own little tradeoff of hair care stuff. We meet up at Mom's about once a month and do haircuts, perms, frosting... whatever. It's a lot of fun and gives us a chance to chitchat about all sorts of things at the same time. Tomorrow's our day, so I'm getting a little bit of frosting done (the pull-through cap method). Mom's getting a trim and frosting... the friend wants a perm.

Maybe something like this would be an option for other folks. Saves big bucks and is a great time to talk about home projects.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 09:10:42 AM »

We (the three of us) have developed our own little tradeoff of hair care stuff. We meet up at Mom's about once a month and do haircuts, perms, frosting... whatever. It's a lot of fun and gives us a chance to chitchat about all sorts of things at the same time. Tomorrow's our day, so I'm getting a little bit of frosting done (the pull-through cap method). Mom's getting a trim and frosting... the friend wants a perm.

Awesome!

~TG

Offline Ronin4hire

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chance favours the prepared mind.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 10:07:44 AM »
Methinks after slowly getting my bride onboard with our prepping efforts having a girlfriend into prepping (or not) is sorta unreasonable...      :-X

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 10:49:51 AM »
Methinks after slowly getting my bride onboard with our prepping efforts having a girlfriend into prepping (or not) is sorta unreasonable...      :-X

wise man.  on the other hand, maybe finding her a girl friend with whom to prep might be advantageous :D

Offline RandomSerenity

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »
My one gf who actually bought some stuff and made a worst case scenario budget found out today her husband was laid off. She asked questions. My heart was filled with joy:)
And you're right: I'm not alone here!

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 01:40:15 PM »
living in the heart of the Mormon Corridor (idaho, utah, western wyoming, arizona), most of my neighbors prep in some fashion - we talk about gardening, canning, food storage, etc as normal everyday conversations. 

I don't have any actual 'girlfriends' being essentially a loner and with zero interest in most female-type stuff, but I'm smack dab in the middle of the above-mentioned Mormon Corridor too and virtually all my neighbors and acquaintences are born preppers, it's simply what you do. In these parts you'd be a bit of an odd duck if you didn't have a house full of guns & preps.  ;)

Offline herewego

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »
I think it's so great that some of you have girlfriends that prep...I have one...kind of. She is my good friend, but she only kind of preps. Some things are more important than others to her, but doing anything is better than nothing. I have often found myself thinking "Gosh I wish I had a good friend that I could talk to about this stuff..." It's funny because I love my girlfriends, but it's almost like they only love me as long as I am in line with the way they think...it gets pretty frustrating because prepping is a lifestyle that I'm passionate about. It involves being aware of your surroundings all the time (among MANY other things), and that seems to be a burden too many of them don't want to be bothered with. I always feel like they look at me like I'm nuts when I bring stuff up.

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »
A random thought or two to throw out, you may have more prepper friends than you know.   Some may be secrete preppers.    Some may be quiet about it because of non-prepper family members or because of Op sec/paranoia(Are you paranoid if you are right?).

Offline snickers

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 04:38:58 PM »
Most of my friends are 25 or younger... I suspect that the brains of my generation don't work all the way. I have some very intelligent friends, but most of them, male and female, are pretty useless in DIY/emergency situations.

Having said that, I do have a few girlfriends who are into prepping and homesteading, but they live far away and are LDS. I could be wrong but I think being prepared and taking care of your community is a big part of the LDS culture. My coworker is in her early 30s and farms for fun and has a prepping mindset. So yes, there are definitely lady preppers out there, if you don't know any this forum is a good place to meet them. :)

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 05:29:05 PM »
I think it's so great that some of you have girlfriends that prep...I have one...kind of. She is my good friend, but she only kind of preps. Some things are more important than others to her, but doing anything is better than nothing. I have often found myself thinking "Gosh I wish I had a good friend that I could talk to about this stuff..." It's funny because I love my girlfriends, but it's almost like they only love me as long as I am in line with the way they think...it gets pretty frustrating because prepping is a lifestyle that I'm passionate about. It involves being aware of your surroundings all the time (among MANY other things), and that seems to be a burden too many of them don't want to be bothered with. I always feel like they look at me like I'm nuts when I bring stuff up.

Mama advice:  Who cares what anyone else thinks about what you do?  If it's important to you just keep doing it. Your gf's may not listen actively but I've learned they do listen.  I've been prepping for over 30 years (yep I'm married into it with the hubby before that I could barely open a can of soup).  I love to hunt, can and process in various ways our garden's great bounty. I've been called a Bambi killer, a wacky survivalist and more.  BUT when it comes down to it - because I stayed with it - those who ridiculed (some were just in fun) have starting turning to me for help.  They see a shift in where things are headed and it's suddenly popular to grow a garden, hang your wash on a clothesline, can tomatoes and green beans, store extra food (and bullets and band aids).  Once I was an oddity - a throw back to a different era - but now I am valued because of my beliefs and knowledge.  I'm sure there are still some who think I'm weird because I'd rather stay home and can produce from my garden then to spend the day at the mall (not that I don't like to shop  ;)) but my priorities are different.

and Herewego you have this forum.  The people who hang out here are of a like mindset.  We encourage one another.  We help one another with questions and problems and if you or anyone else ever feels alone in the prepping world just pm me - I love to share what I've learned and pass it on to others. 

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 09:01:08 PM »
need to find some ladies to prep with. so far i have the DH. brother and his work buddies. some of the DH friends from work. as of yet the  guys are the ones talking and prepping hunting, fishing, guns and the like.. I am the one gardening. canning. storing away preps. would be in for a houston area ladies prepper meet up. any one else?

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 08:09:22 AM »
need to find some ladies to prep with. so far i have the DH. brother and his work buddies. some of the DH friends from work. as of yet the  guys are the ones talking and prepping hunting, fishing, guns and the like.. I am the one gardening. canning. storing away preps. would be in for a houston area ladies prepper meet up. any one else?

Sounds like a great idea!  Can you make a post under the Texas meet and greet heading?
*Here*

~TG
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:32:33 AM by TexasGirl »

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 08:12:16 PM »
thank you texasgirl  i may have to give it a whirl. yall know how hard it is to herd cats. ha  or show your preppin colors when most of the sheeple are judging. I would be up for a meet up in sept. perhaps around the 99 and 59 area. sugarland?? area.

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »
 :( not a one.. don't even have one i could wake up! one male friend who is living on my BOL that is very serious and i am so glad he moved back.. but it is lonesome even with the forum.. i have never had many female friends due to my..enjoying gutting a kill and being covered with dirt and shat half the time..murrmering about real life things..makes em run! so any of you in NE OR or SE WA? ;D

Offline callmesarah

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 09:01:50 PM »
None at all (I'm in with the 25-30) yr olds so yah, good luck.  :P
All of my old high school friends are total sheep, which I don't even really talk to much anymore only with the face stalker. ha ha
My close friends kinda sorta know we prep but they are not interested in the least bit.
We are acquaintances with a couple (staring to get to know them) who are preppers and we do have plans with each other to meet up if anything goes south. They are older than us but don't act like it! No gardening at all with them, or canning. But I have a decent garden and do can.

~Sarah

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 11:34:06 AM »
I guess I am lucky.  I have a bunch of friends that do.  Most of them make me look like a serious slacker....

Te great thing about my friends is we share knowledge.  We teach each other what we know.  Canning has been this summer's adventure.  8)

We also will help each other out in good times and bad.  I am very lucky to have an amazing group of friends.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 11:41:17 AM by PorcupineKate »

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 05:34:41 PM »
I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that my wife of 41 years is an excellent shot.

soup

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 12:08:33 AM »
I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that my wife of 41 years is an excellent shot.

soup
I will answer. I do not have any girlfriends, preppers or otherwise because my wife of 20 years would hit me on the head with a 4 lb. hammer.  ;)