Author Topic: Mountain Men on History - another survival show?  (Read 14964 times)

Offline jpbearit

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Mountain Men on History - another survival show?
« on: June 08, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »
has anyone been watching this new show on the History Channel, " Mountain Men"?
I get the impression that THC wanted to do a "suvival show" with out the "S" word.

I've watched the first two and I'm not all that impressed. It has the ussual "Reality/Drama baggage." You know some jerk producer is lurking around the shoot location tell the stars, "Look, Eustace, this is all real interesting stuff (lie), but I need you to spice up this up so I can sell it to the network. How about we bring in this spoiled brat 20-something to complicate your life and create some false drama."

I'd get the impression the this same producer was pulling his hair out trying to find ways to make the guy in the Alaskian back waters seem like he had an exciting life.  So what do they do? Insert stock clips of wild animals and add a little fiction from the narrator in post production.

There was about 10 to 15  minutes of useful and informative reality in an hour long show.  That still beats the hell out of "Survivor where-ever" game show but I'm not sure it's worth the 45 minutes of B.S. to get the 15 minutes of semiprecious jems.

anyone else with have 2 pennies to say?

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Survivalist Mentor
Re: Mountain Men on History - another survival show?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 08:36:58 PM »
You are probably right. I can't see Justin going to learn to live off the land only to bitch about everything he has to do. I think it's an interesting show tho, it's modern living on the land which is still above what we'd have to do during teotwawki shtf.

So wood shingles overlapping keep the ends from leaking, what keeps them from leaking on the sides of them?

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 09:57:35 PM »
I am enjoying the Mountain Men series so far. Although I am not sure what direction it will go.

Offline TexGuy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 10:47:35 PM »
It's sad this topic has no action. Seems even "survivalist" just want the 'made for TV' man vs whatever seems wild.

And people wonder why I go off on some folks here?  ;D

This is real life stuff here and you can learn a lot from it. Unfortunately it's also 'made for TV'. What is this the fourth or fifth show? If you listen Marty has already been in Alaska for 3 months and we would think it's 4 days repairing his snowmobile.

And since these real life guys are fat it doesn't fit the common thought of barely making it like most like to believe. Most like to think it's a skinny guy barely getting enough to eat and you are a heartbeat away from dying. They want to be Alpha males dominating whatever they see as the next thing needed to do. Everyone likes the ROMANCE of the idea, they don't understand that setting around making a fire a few times a day doesn't cut it. These old guys show HOW EASY IT REALLY IS if you don't mind doing the work. No, typing on a keyboard programing in an IT department making 70-100k/yr is not work no matter what they say. LOL These guys are only here to figure out how to TAKE YOUR STUFF WHEN THEY FAIL at surviving. Beware of who you give the most important info too!

I say if SHTF as in TEOTWAWKI even a lot on this forum will have a hard time. Fat guys like me that have a good work ethic to 'get her done' will do just fine, and we like to eat a bunch too! Square foot gardening isn't going to do crap for you. Neither will hunting if you are not a great hunter now. And just go ahead and forget about trapping if you've never done it.

People aren't kidding themselves about their BOB, they are kidding themselves about their survival skills.

Now I'm going to set back and see if this topic gets some more action.   ::)

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
    • My 13-In-13 Page
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 11:00:22 PM »
I'm really enjoying it!

Offline TexGuy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 05:16:28 PM »
Well ....

I tried and failed I guess to stir up some hate and discontent to get some action in this topic.

I'm actually surprised I didn't get a notice from the mods .....  :)

Good for the mods! I'm sorry if I offended anyone in my post above, was just trying to get more to post in this topic. I'm not a mean guy to much.

I NOW think this topic is just in the wrong area .... that is the problem.

Surely others have to be interested in this on this forum?

I'm really starting to dislike this show. Today I watched old shows of Survival Man, Man Women Wild, and Dual Survival. All those are cheesy shows yet they actually give more info than this show does. These guys are homesteading without any homesteading info! Show me how these pigeons are raised! Show us how those beaver traps were set!

I know those thing but only because I've done them. The average viewer isn't learning much from this show. Example; I know how they tracked that deer that they didn't find, most non hunters didn't understand all that. A normal viewer will see "experts" not finding that deer ... why should they even try to learn that stuff then?

Offline gilevi

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 10:01:16 PM »
been very happy with the episodes iv seen. good show

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 01:55:24 AM »
TexGuy, I tend to agree with you. I think there is a real disconnect between these types of shows/ entertainment and real life. Although they may be interesting and fun to watch there is a huge difference when it comes to applying what you saw and read to a real life situation. The only true way to experience these things is to get out in the field and strip away all the gadgets for some real hands on experience. The same is true for many of the other skills that we discuss here on this forum. I can read and watch everyones comments but until "I put my hand to the plow" it will just be, for me, information and theory.

Mountain men lived lonely, physically demanding, malnourished miserable and often times short lives for what they wanted. Others flourished and became famous. I'm with you. I want to know what they did, why they did it and how they plied their craft. Leave the drama for another day.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 02:33:29 PM »
I've been watching that show too. It's ok I guess, but it's about 2/3 bull$hit in my opinion.
I pretty much live that kind of life, and they've WAY overdramatized alot of stuff.
Like the guy having a baby fit because his chainsaws got wet, having a kid sight in his rifle, calling an obviously missed shot at a deer at 50yds a "missfire", being worried about a bear attack and only toting an un loaded over/under shotgun etc...
It's not about "survival" at all. Alternative lifestyle yeah, but not survivalism.
The only thing it shares with shows like doomsday preppers is that it's mostly hype.
Real life in the mountains is more about hard work than excitement or drama, and it's kinda boring to alot of folks.
If you want to see what the Maine mountains are really like, check out www.deadriverroughcut.com although it's a little dated, it's still pretty accurate

Offline abago

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 11:11:24 PM »
I've been watching that show too. It's ok I guess, but it's about 2/3 bull$hit in my opinion.
I pretty much live that kind of life, and they've WAY overdramatized alot of stuff.

I can't agree more.

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 01:56:31 AM »
I was puzzled and actually uncomfortable that somebody would have another person sight in their rifle for them.

However, I did learn something as I never heard of the Yellow root until the show and now I am interested in trapping.

I like the Montana guy the best, probably because I have to live through similar winters in Wyoming.

I was disturbed that his daughter was pushing him to retire. That's like telling a man you need to enter a retirement home.

That guy could probably out survive his city slicker kid even in his mature years.

My least favorite is the guy in Alaska, his risks drive me crazy.

It is beyond me why any person in that country would go on a snow mobile without a rifle or handgun, in grizzly and wolf country.

Yes, it's made for TV but still entertaining to watch.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 07:19:25 AM »
I wish the "History" Channel would get back to historical documentaries with normal cinematography, educated narration etc - and leave the glimpse tv jerky camera reality shows to their respective channels.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 07:40:37 AM »
I wish the "History" Channel would get back to historical documentaries with normal cinematography, educated narration etc - and leave the glimpse tv jerky camera reality shows to their respective channels.

Boy do I agree with that!!!!

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 02:20:24 PM »
See, now I think the guy in Alaska is the most realistic. I'm pretty sure I saw him with a rifle in most every trip. He'd pretty much have to take one, he is after all "trapping", and winter up there doesn't work for drown sets. The guy in Montana bugs me though. Hardly ever see him or his pals carrying guns, and half the time they're all worried about cougar or grizzly.
For what it's worth, the whole thing is all staged anyway.

Offline jpbearit

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 03:51:50 PM »
@TexGuy
I’m glad you came in here and tried to get a rise out of the troops, but frankly I was lost. I couldn’t figure out if you were being sarcastic or if you were for real. But I guess either way you got a few folks talking.

“Square foot gardening isn't going to do crap for you. Neither will hunting if you are not a great hunter now. And just go ahead and forget about trapping if you've never done it.” 

That was the only thing you said that bothered me.  I’m gardening on a small scale in the hopes of building skills so that IF I ever have to garden on a large scale, I’ll have a little experience and skill to build on.  I’m hunting again for the first time in 20 years in the hopes of building skills so that IF I ever have to hunt regularly to feed my family, I’ll have a little experience and skill to build on.  Me trying to make time to build these skills is a good thing.  I know… I know… your later post took back that comment… kind of.

My question for the world: When are we ever going to see real shows about how to really live of the real land.  This would have very little entertainment value. Truth is it would be as boring as $#!%.  But if Bob “F”ing Vila can get a show to fix this old house, if Russell "yankee workshop" Morash can show us how to make furniture, if Bob Ross can paint happy little clouds, and someone put this boring crap on TV… why can someone put a show on TV that can TEACH me about homesteading/Mountain or Ocean living… SOMETHING USEFUL!?!?! There are whole channels devoted to weekend hunting/fishing/outdoors. But these are treated like a sport, not a life. I’d love to see someone take this idea treat it with a little respect.
 I’m tired of all this P.T. Barnum B.S. "reality" on T.V.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 01:19:14 PM »
Like I said, it would be boring.. I think that's why all the shows like this are so "over the top".
The realities of rural life have very little drama. For instance, there seems to be a lot of folks who think you can hunt and trap all year long, any time you please, as much as you want...And that is not true either. There are rules and regulations everywhere.
Another example, we have beautiful views that the "tourists" love, but they don't seem to understand that most of the land around here is privately owned. They think because it's "the woods" no rules apply, and they can do whatever they want. Having rural land is a wonderful thing..Right up until some a$$hole decides to set up a tent and start a campfire on your woodlot. ;)
Just sayin', it's happened to me more than once. Every now and then some idiot thinks he wants to live in the woods "like Daniel Boone" and ends up coydog bait too.
Shows like this are a big part of that, armchair/internet types are also an issue. (my opinion)
My advice, If you think you can live in the woods, leave your cellphone at home and spare the search and rescue folks the trouble of looking for you when you get in trouble.
If that sounds "harsh", TUFF. If you're not up to the task of roughing it without your smart-phone, you should probably stick to the "tourist's hiking trails", or maybe just go shopping at LL Bean or Cabella's.
...And before anybody asks, I'm not "anti-tourist" at all. I am however, anti moron. 8)

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 07:50:18 AM »
I just started watching Mountain Men. Luckily I can pick it up through "On-Demand".

I'd have to say that I find it pretty entertaining.

It's a little over dramatized, but I'd be willing to bet that it's not far past what some historical nonfiction accounts of the mountain men relate. Perhaps the show is even a little more accurate for having cameras present instead of the stories being related orally and then conveyed similarly or in print.

While most of us here would be happy to see a more nuts and bolts true to life account, I think the rest of any potential audience for Mountain Men would find that approach boring and therefore wouldn't watch.

As for people going out and trying to replicate what they see after watching this show or any other, I'm kind of over that. Some folks will go out and try any damn thing they hear about, read or see from any source due to a lack of common sense. The worst part is that they draw good people, such as SAR, into danger because of they were stupid enough to try these things on a whim.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »
Just watched last nite's episode...amazing....
2 dead deer, and not even one gut-pile. One guy hung the deer up by it's hind legs and skinned it even before field dressing it, the other guy wants to feed 8 people with what looked like a 80lb skipper that he dragged home with one hand.
I'll put money on it that all the "wolf" tracks are from the guy's own dog. Isn't he having bear trouble? Probably, with all the deer blood around, that should have been left in the woods (most of it comes out when you field dress your kill). I guess it's better to bring it home and let your young dog play in it, just so he gets a taste for deer.
Around here, dogs that chase deer get shot. I know there are places where deer are hunted with dogs, but Maine ain't one of 'em.
I also liked the guys that got spooked by a tree squeak...what next a snipe hunt??
No longer on the "to do list" on my DVR. This show is every bit as bad as all the idiot "doomsday" shows.

Maybeee the guy in N.C. (who runs a chainsaw with one hand) should give up the water bong and pay his property taxes so his land doesn't get "stolen" 8)

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »
I had hopes that it would be good. Each episode has been five minutes of content jammed into 60 minutes of air time. This is coming from the guy who watches the same episode of "Swamp People" three or four times.

The guy in Alaska has futzed with his broken snowmobiles the past four weeks. All the wench turning and night hiking has yielded a pine marten.

The guy in Montana is going on about food for his family, and he is messing around with a beaver and his brother's raccoon. Just pop a deer or elk, and be done with it.

Then there's the guy in North Carolina. Where to begin?

Basically, some minor gore, e.g., NC guy putting the cleaver through the deer head in the first episode, and contrived danger, e.g., Alaska guy leaking gasoline out of his snow machine onto the wood stove, so the urbanites can feel enlightened.

nelson96

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »
I think there is a real disconnect between these types of shows/ entertainment and real life. Although they may be interesting and fun to watch there is a huge difference when it comes to applying what you saw and read to a real life situation.

Maybe I'm missing your point but this show and many others like it ARE real life.  There may be a some creative editing going on, but it is their REAL lives they are taping.  Personally I find it entertaining, but that is because I simply want to be entertained when I watch it.

The older fella in Montana obviously has a REAL talent for trapping and caring for his firs.  Sure I would like for him to give me a "how to" course, but that's not what the show is about. 

My wife and I are really wanting a retreat to use as a vacation location and for a BOL.  We really like the thought of having a place that has gravity feed water that supplies fresh water and power generation, like the place in North Carolina.  I really like his antique saw mill for milling lumber using free power.

I think ultimately we are all going to get something different out of the show.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »
Just got back to town so I'm just catching up. What I meant by my comment is for instance have you ever fleshed out a hide or tanned one say using the brain method? There is quite a bit of technique not to mention some unforgettable smells. Just about any one can be taught to arm a trap but to set them correctly takes some in the field learning from a pro or some time using the trial method.

Hunting the same thing. You can be taught by books, magizines or DVD but there is no substitute for experience in the field.

As for my comment about some of the things we write about here I refer to the fact that I'm not a gardener. I read about what you all do with your gardens but I think that until I get down in the dirt and try to copy some of the techniques I read about I will have to buy mine at ChinaMart and just water them and hope for the best.

nelson96

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 07:27:06 AM »
have you ever fleshed out a hide or tanned one say using the brain method?

My wife tanned my deer hide last year using the brain method, I couldn't believe it.  There are some things even I won't do, that's now one of them.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 09:03:02 AM »
I understand. The first time I gut an elk I could not believe the shear volume of the contents. Had to step aside a couple of times to keep from blowing chunks.

nelson96

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 10:49:55 PM »
I understand. The first time I gut an elk I could not believe the shear volume of the contents. Had to step aside a couple of times to keep from blowing chunks.

Gutting (field dressing) is one thing . . . .  Have done it more times than I can possibly count and I have no problem with that, but tanning a hide with brains that have been subject to a couple hot days (or more) and maggots, IS COMPLETELY ANOTHER.

My wife is a rockstar, I think I'll keep her.

Offline rbradley

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Aspiring Permaculturalist
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 11:48:50 AM »
I watched an ep. of it, and it seemed pretty good. Didn't look very edited, and the people on it appeared fairly genuine.

Offline TNDadx4

• Survivor
  • Country roads, take me home To the place I belong.
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »
I've been following this show since it's inception and while it has not lived up to all I would've like to have seen, I've still found it likable.

I don't watch a lot of TV, so when a show comes on that has people living a simpler/more sustainable life, that goes along (more or less) with the way that I would like to live life, I'll watch it. I'm not there yet in my life, but I am working on it every day that I can.

I know that there are issues... and drama, but for me, the show is worth it. I take it all with a grain of salt as there are a lot of hours of footage shown that are cut down, edited and have stock footage added to them to make the final product. Heck, there was stock footage in a documentary about Dick Proenneke, does that ruin it for me? Not at all.

I feel the same way about Doomsday Preppers. No, I'm not prepping for the Mayan Calendar, pole shift, etc., but I do like seeing how others think and would rather watch this than some other reality show about family drama or who is dating whom.

Just my $.02 :)

Offline Jonathon January

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 03:10:37 PM »
This is the only show I seriously watch. I approach it thou
gh as a tv show, no different than any other. I dont expect to actually learn anything from it.  It's just nice to see other peiple doing what I want to do with my life.......     

Is like to go work at turtle island though

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2016, 09:09:58 AM »
We have started to watch the show. Read a book about the guy in North Carolina several years ago, The Last American Man. With a thousand acres, it seems he would have to do a lot more than sell firewood for a living. Land must be a whole lot cheaper there than here. The show is entertaining, in a popcorn munching kind of way.