Author Topic: Check your food stores!  (Read 4049 times)

Offline RandomSerenity

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • My crummy little blog journal
Check your food stores!
« on: June 08, 2012, 09:18:32 PM »
I may win the Captian Obvious award for this, but really...

In my very first Thrive order, I ordered 6 grain pancake mix, a mere 10 months ago. Tonight, I decided we were having breakfast for dinner & opened said #10 can. The first warning was when I set it on the counter: it wobbled. (oh no...) then I looked at the top & it was a little bulged. I opened it, thinking, SURELY this thing is not bad. Alas, as soon as the seal was cracked, a hiss of air escaped & I knew we would not be eating those for dinner. It smelled like borderline milk, when it's about to go bad and pineapple rum? I called them right away and they told me they'd reformulated it to 10 grain due to O2 absorber issues & shipped me a new one. Great. But I still had to go check our additional cans of everything for bulge. So far so good, and we eat what we store, but now I'm nervous.

plus when I looked at the new ingredients, I found "whole grain triticale" as an ingredient, which sent my head spinning in an entirely new direction, which is not for this post.

Keep calm, and have a cupcake:)

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
Re: Check your food stores!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 09:33:46 PM »
Triticale is a cross of wheat and rye developed in the late 19th century.

For those that may not know:

Triticale is a hybrid of wheat (Triticum) and rye (Secale) first bred in laboratories during the late 19th century. The grain was originally bred in Scotland and Sweden. Commercially available triticale is almost always a second generation hybrid, i.e., a cross between two kinds of primary (first cross) triticales. As a rule, triticale combines the high yield potential and good grain quality of wheat with the disease and environmental tolerance (including soil conditions) of rye. Only recently has it been developed into a commercially viable crop. Depending on the cultivar, triticale can more or less resemble either of its parents. It is grown mostly for forage or fodder, although some triticale-based foods can be purchased at health food stores or are to be found in some breakfast cereals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triticale

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 10:59:42 PM »
And quadrotriticale is the unobtaniun plot device found in The Trouble with Tribbles.

nkawtg

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 12:19:55 AM »
Shoot Oil Lady you beat me to it.
Other than Romulan poisoned tribble food, what's wrong with triticale?

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 06:18:08 AM »
I ran into a similar problem with a case of #10 cans of dehydrated apples.  Luckily I opened them shortly after receiving them.  Nasty stuff.  They were great about quickly replacing them but the more likely scenario would have been me opening them 2 or 5 years later to find they're no good.  Makes a good case for eat-what-you-store.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 09:00:01 AM »
Definetely check everything! Not only when you get it, but every 3 months.
I recieved 2 cans of tomato powder from Emergency Essentials...one weighs in at 8 oz, like it should and it solid and powdery sounding. The other is half that weight and rattles. I have to contact them to see what is going on and what they want me to do, but I've had it for two months and forgot to check the entire shipment...live and learn!

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 08:31:16 PM »
..what's wrong with triticale?
Nothing. Unless Monsanto gets a hold of it, that is.