Author Topic: Anyone know good FREE (or almost) campsites in the Daniel Boone National Forest?  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
I got the idea to post this because someone PM'd me when I mentioned going to the Daniel Boone Forest for some mountain biking at the end of this month.

When I (car) camp in a National Forest I've never been to, I at least try and find some dispersed campsites that I can just pull into and set up camp. I find that as I explore the area, I always seem to find tons of better spots that are otherwise not marked on the NFS site or kinda unknown. I also know some districts are more relaxed on the "300 ft from a road or stream" policy and there are impromptu pull-in sites scattered around on forest roads and such.

I did find one "official" free dispersed camping area listed on the NFS site, a little bit west of the marker shown here...

http://goo.gl/maps/wxsV

If anyone knows of BETTER spots to camp, the more secluded, 4WD only, RV and yuppie-free, and FREE (or close to it) the better. I honestly can't stand paying $20+ a night to camp by a bunch of bathrooms and yuppies with their RVs or TVs and electrical equipment LOL.

I thought this would be a good forum to ask around before I go!

Offline Jarhed

• Prepper
    • Minuteman Outfitters
I think your pretty limited to parking with yuppies or park and hike. I get down there quite a bit and haven't found anything like that, but I could be wrong. Did a little climbing when I was younger and still love to try to get myself lost out there. Some secluded areas if you know where to look, but a lot require a bit of hiking and some land nav skills. We just pick up a parking pass for the time period we are out and find a good spot to pull off. There are plenty of pull offs, but you have to hike a mile at least to get away from other people.
I'm interested to see if anyone else has a good place.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
I found tons of them when I was down there. We probably had the best campsite along this one secluded road but we did get a visit from a ranger to tell us about the fire ban in the forest that is in effect.

I think I found a cool campsite every time I ventured off the road to hike back into the woods as well. No research necessary if and when I go back to that area.