Author Topic: Rope and cordage  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Rope and cordage
« on: August 24, 2015, 08:25:53 PM »
Other than 550 cord what kinds of rope and cordage should I put away with my outdoor gear?

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Rope and cordage
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:15:40 PM »
I like mule tape. If you talk real nice to the power company guys you can usually score hundreds of feet as most of the time they throw it away after a single use.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 09:23:32 PM »
Stranded steel wire ,like picture hanging wire or wire fishing leader.
Also some stranded fishing line ,or monofilament for easy lashing.

Offline mekanik

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 07:15:00 PM »
My standard SAR pack has 550, 6mm cord for prussiks, spools of what carl mentioned for wire(snare wire is also handy) and for ultra cheap, disposable types of uses, a spool of twist tie material. I find these at dollar stores and they come with their own cutters.

endurance

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:26:22 PM »
It really depends on your perceived needs.  If you need to hold that tarp on your roof after a wind storm blew off a bunch of shingles, you'll want more than 550 cord, so I like to have a couple hundred feet of 3/8" braided cord.  It's also useful for hanging a bear bag when camping in critter country.  I keep 50' in each car and another 100' at home.  I also have a 165' climbing rope, but it's really one trick stuff.  You don't want to be trusting your life to a dynamic rope you've used as a general utility rope. 

I also have an assortment of 6mm stuff for prussiks and other general purpose stuff, but if you're not a climber, it might not serve much use for the dollars per foot you'll spend to acquire it.  Webbing is nice to have around for a variety of tasks including rescue stuff.  I have a 10' piece of webbing in each set of bunker gear tied in a loop with a large locking carabiner on it.  It comes in handy on rescues, can be an emergency bail out ladder, can make dragging hose easier, lets you tie yourself or your hose off at the top of a ladder, etc.  Lots of utility for not a lot of money.

Learn some good knots.  Water Knot for webbing (basically an overhand with a follow-through), double fisherman, figure 8 variations (on a bight, with a follow-through, simple), bowline, prussik, and clove hitch.  There's some great apps for learning to tie knots (I think mine is called What Knot).

Offline OhCanada

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 07:14:06 AM »
Paracord is the standard, good for tarps and hanging gear off the ground. However, you should also carry thinner cord (bank line, mason line, etc.) of your perfered material; this is disposable cord for when you need to haft a spear head on, or make a trap.

I preserve paracord more into useable pre-cut lengths as it is harder to get, whereas you can get basic nylon cord at any small town store.

So we basically have:
Rope: anything that will require you to support your bodyweight safely.
Paracord: heavy tasks that require strong cord that will not be used to support your body (hammock the exception here)
Twine: for light jobs that needs a thin cord.
Thread: for clothing and gear repair.

While fishing line can be used as cordage I recommend you keep it in the fishing/foood gear rather than disposable cordage, because nothing works as well as real fishing line for fishing.

Dental floss has its place but is not very strong, just look at the metal part of the container that cuts the cord without even having a sharp edge. It is small enough for mini-kits but it would not be my go to cord if there were other choices.