Author Topic: Backpack / Camp / Bug out tent recommendation?  (Read 9484 times)

Offline mikem

• Survivalist Mentor
  • ¿por qué so serious?
Backpack / Camp / Bug out tent recommendation?
« on: June 17, 2012, 03:24:04 PM »
What would you guys recommend for a versatile compact 2 person tent? Looking for something I can take backpacking, camping or keep as a Bug out prep. Price isn't so much a factor do much as versatility and quality.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Backpack / Camp / Bug out tent recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »
I've had good luck for over 10 years with an Eureka 2XT ($100-$150), but it is a very bright yellow and the new ones seem to be orange, even worse for bugging out.  Here's a similar .mil version http://military.eurekatents.com/tents/combat.cfm  , but I can't seem to find them on the civilian market.  Closest I see is this, used: http://www.arvadasurplus.com/usmc-tent.html

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 05:32:32 PM »
I invested in a stevenson warmlite. It is manufactured by some fairly eccentric folks, but the tent has been exceptional for 4 season use for the nearly 20 years i've had it. They are exceptionally light weight and very, very roomy.

Generally, take the manufacturer's capacity and divide by 2, so a 3 person tent is really 1+ gear. With the stevenson warmlite, a 3 person tent IS 3 people and gear.

They are pricey, but worth it in my experience.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 08:14:03 AM »
This is NOT a back pack tent in any way shape or form.  Thought I would share because I just love it so much.  Kodiak Canvas 9x8 Flex Bow.  If you have the room in your rig it is a great bug out /camping tent.  It sets up so easy and fast and comes down and put away just as easy.  (down side it has to be completely dry for long term storage) You can stand up in it.  Holds all our gear. Pleanty of room with 2 adults 3 dogs.  Keeps us completely dry in hard rain (very important in the PNW) and high winds didn't bother us a bit solid as a rock.  Didn't take much to keep it heated either.  Was good in the snow.  Has good ventilation in the summer sun so we were not baking.  It's bright inside so we didn't need as much lighting like some of the dark tents.  It is heavy not as heavy as some canvas tents we were looking at and not a bulky either.

I usually keep it in my car most of the time along with a smaller dome cheapy tent.  I drive a 2002 suzuki vitara 4x4 (aka my micro RV) not the grand vitara. It's very small but have enough room in it to carry 3 dogs 2 dog crates tent and enough food water clothes supplies for 2 adults and the 3 dogs for 3-4 days.  Even have a porta potty in there along with fire wood for 3 cooking times.  Hubby says I can stuff 100 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound bucket and still have room. ;)  Now that we are down 2 dogs  :'( we have even more room.  Haven't had the heart to modify things yet.

currently most of the car is empty since I am hauling cement and building & gardening supplies. After the projects are done will revamp things.   Just thought I would throw that out as an option because I just love our tent.  It would work so good as a temp shelter if need be.  But like I said not good for pack packing.  I wouldn't want to carry it very far.   :P

www.kodiakcanvas.com

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 04:39:14 AM »
I have tents from MSR and REI.  Both have been awesome and serve different purposes.  The MSR is a 4 season 2 person tent.  It is the fusion 2 model which is not made any more.  This is my cold weather/nasty weather tent.  It features zip panels that reveal screens when the weather is hot.  When it is cold, zip them all up.  It weighs about 6 pounds.  The REI tent is a 3 person 3 season tent.  This is my warmer weather/I want more room than my other tent tent.  It weighs about the same as the 2 person.  I cant remember the name off hand but its very easy to set up and packs almost as small as the MSR.  Both have not let me down in storms.  I have used the MSR a lot more and in a lot more environments than the REI since I have had it longer.  You cant go wrong with any tent made by these two companies.  I know for sure that MSR has a lifetime warranty on the poles.  I have broken a few while setting up in high winds on a mountain top.  REI has a similar warranty.  Both come with an aluminum pole repair sleeve that you slide over the break and duct tape it in place.

I used to work year round for a summer camp that did wilderness trips and I managed that program.  We used the Kelty gunnison, 2 and 4 person models, and the Eureka Timberline 2 and 4 person models of tents.  Both tents survived the abuse teenagers could dish out and the abuses of mother nature.  Any of these two manufacturers are also good.

MSR is probably at the top of the price range, with REI, Kelts and Eureka coming in a close second in price.  Seriously think of your intended use and space requirements, budget, weight of the tent and then go from there.

Offline Mister Dark

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 06:02:07 AM »
While I still was a ground sleeper (Hammocks are the only way to go, but that is for another thread) I really liked the Henry Shires Tarptents.   I had a Contrail, then a Cloudburst.   If I were doing it again, I would get a Double Rainbow in a heartbeat.  Less than 3 pounds for a roomy tent for two, hard to beat.

Of course, your decision also depends on the area of the world you are hiking/bugging out in.  TT's are (slmost all)single wall tents. Not something I would use above the treeline in winter.  But I have used mine in a bad snowstorm, it worked great at keeping me dry - but didnt do much for warmth.  (Thats what the sleeping bag was for anyway)

endurance

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 10:30:12 AM »
I haven't been tent shopping in a long time, but I have a good friend who does some epic backpacking stuff.  The newer stuff is so much lighter than the stuff I grew up with.  Whatever you do, keep weight as a significant focus in your search.  It's now relatively easy to get a sub-six pound two person tent and sub-four pound is reasonable.  My friend's one man shelter is sub-one pound, but probably goes well beyond what you want for the limitations that come with it (no floor, no windows, no poles (uses a hiking pole for it's only support)).

There's plenty of middle ground.  Stick with a name brand that focuses on mountaineering, not car camping gear (Marmot, REI, MSR, NorthFace, Mountain Hardware).  Personally, I like the versatility of a tarp, too, but stick with the modern sil-nylon tarps.  While they cost a lot more than a coated nylon tarp, they weigh a fraction as much and are incredibly durable for the weight.  It can give you a place out of the rain to cook and serve as an emergency shelter if your tent is damaged.  I have a 7x9' one that's 13 oz.  An equivalent coated nylon tarp would be about 20 oz.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 02:40:01 AM »
In the same vein as tarps and whatnot that you mention, Endurance, there's the alpha tent:
http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/ponchotent.htm

I have tents for regular camping, and would hopefully have time to grab one before going – if going by car.  But for light weight and hide-ability, it's hard to beat an alpha tent.  I'm carrying a poncho anyway, a couple of short tent poles are all else that's needed.  And in the right local pattern, this thing could hide you out for a night's rest in 99% of likely conditions.

Offline danzak44

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 10:18:28 PM »
Check out Hildeberg tents that are Sweedish company. Very well made, they have light, and a bit heavier material for a stronger tent, very roomy with exceptional vestibules if you want it. They make 3 &4 season tents from 1-8 persons or larger. They can withstand very high winds, and if you check out hildeberg tents on youtube you will see how well made they are. They are costly, and we are currently saving up for a 4 season 3 person, but I'd rather pay for quality and cry once than cry twice for when a substandard tent fails. Wish ya luck in the hunt.

Offline danzak44

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »
Check out Hildeberg tents that are Sweedish company. Very well made, they have light, and a bit heavier material for a stronger tent, very roomy with exceptional vestibules if you want it. They make 3 &4 season tents from 1-8 persons or larger. They can withstand very high winds, and if you check out hildeberg tents on youtube you will see how well made they are. They are costly, and we are currently saving up for a 4 season 3 person, but I'd rather pay for quality and cry once than cry twice for when a substandard tent fails. Wish ya luck in the hunt.

Offline danzak44

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 11:27:30 PM »
Mispelled the tent name, it's Hilleberg at Hilleberg.com. Sorry about that.

nelson96

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 11:01:19 AM »
Personally, I like the versatility of a tarp, too, but stick with the modern sil-nylon tarps. 

I have to go with Endurance on this one.  You can't beat the versatility of a GOOD tarp.  I keep a silnylon tarp in my pack for the same reasons Endurance mentioned (light and takes up very little room).  I don't often do overnighters with it (see my profile pic) but it has occasionally been very useful for make shift spike camps.

I remember one time in particular where I had been elk hunting and bagged a bull late in the day.  I had hiked about 8 miles out of base camp and by the time I had dressed the elk and got the quarters hanging in a tree the weather was starting to take a turn for the worse.  I found a nearby windfall with a big trunk and large limbs that were hanging out horizontally.  I tied each end to limbs and draped the other edge over the trunk.  I then cut fresh limbs to provide a wind break on the sides.  In front of the opening I built a fire and stayed warm and dry all night.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
I have a Eureka K2 XT that I've used for about 7 years. I've had it out in every season and it has performed incredibly well. I've been in storms with it that have crushed other tents and had no problems. It's an incredible tent, but it also weighs 12 pounds.

Now days the K2 XT is relegated to the car and bike BOBs and I've started using a tarp that weighs less than a pound. My tarp has worked equally as well. I'm another advocate for tarps.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 07:59:10 PM »
I dig tarps too when the weather and bugs cooperate.  I still have yet to find a good system for repelling bugs when it is 90+ at night with high humidity under a tarp.  Wearing my rain gear with a head net is like a personal sauna and bug dope makes me feel sticky.  I do have some Repel lemon eucalyptus cream that is good.  Cant find it anymore so I use it very sparingly. 

In these cases I am glad I have a tent.  I just remove the rain fly and laugh at the bugs as I sweat.

endurance

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 08:38:25 PM »
That's why you always camp with something like a bug bivy.  Mine weighs about eight ounces, but that's eight ounces of bug-free nights.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 06:26:08 AM »
I have a mosquito net that I'm working on mods for so that it can be hung inside the tarp.

Offline mikem

• Survivalist Mentor
  • ¿por qué so serious?
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 01:20:58 PM »
I ended up getting a Eureka Zeus 2. It has great reviews everywhere and is super light. I haven't put it through any hardcore conditions yet, but overall am happy with this for an extremely portable tent.

If it were just me sleeping in it, I'd probably go the tarp route for versatility, but the wife isn't so fond of that idea  ;D

endurance

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 04:44:28 PM »
Very reasonable weight for a two person.  Let us know how it works out for you when you get some miles on it.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »
If price really isn't a concern, take a look at Kifaru.  ;D