Author Topic: How to Stalk, Kill, and Cook a California Wild Pig  (Read 4631 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
How to Stalk, Kill, and Cook a California Wild Pig
« on: August 21, 2012, 01:44:48 PM »
A good article on hunting wild boar in California
---------------------------

For years, Northern California and the Bay Area have proudly flown the flag of epicurean hedonism, leading the nation in wine production and nouveau cuisine. Even in this merlot-soaked, fresh-organic-ingredients milieu, where great chefs are treated like celebrities, it is seldom noted that the region boasts another little-known gastronomic piece de resistance—the feral pig.

According to the California Department of Fish and Game, wild pigs (Sus scrofa) are a nonnative species. Our wild pigs are, in fact, one of the happier accidents of animal husbandry. Settlers introduced domestic swine to California in the 1700s, some of which wandered into the wild. Then, in the 1920s, a landowner imported the European wild boar to Monterey County. The boars mated with the local feral pig population, creating a wild boar/feral domestic hybrid. Today, at least 45 California counties are up to the elbows in Sus scrofa. These wild pigs are covered in hair, have tusks, and multiply very quickly. One of their few natural predators is the mountain lion. Another is the human being.

for rest of article, see link below

http://www.jackboulware.com/uncategorized/hunting-wild-boar

Offline BetaMike

• Survivor
Re: How to Stalk, Kill, and Cook a California Wild Pig
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »
The problem is most of them are on private land.  Not cheap hunting as one would hope.  Very difficult to find on public land.

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 05:24:19 PM »
The article is a bit dated.  It leave out the fact that 99% of the successful pig hunts are with guides on private ranches as BM points out.  I'm not knocking guide hunts, but in Cali, unless you are very local to high density hog populating and can scout frequently, it's probably not going to happen for you on public land.  I know this from my experience hog hunting here.  :(

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »
I was all excited about finding wild hogs in Oregon, until I found out our 5,000 or less hogs are very difficult to find and all on private land.. so much for smoking hams.   :'(

Cedar

Offline Joe in TN

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 06:57:25 PM »
Fort Hunter Ligget has public access for hog hunting and it has an abundance of swine for the killing.  Do it, you will enjoy it.

Joe

Offline BetaMike

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:39:29 PM »
Fort Hunter Ligget has public access for hog hunting and it has an abundance of swine for the killing.  Do it, you will enjoy it.

Joe

You are correct sir!  FHL is probably the only public land where you stand a chance of a successful hunt that's reasonably close to So. Cal.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 07:48:22 AM »
...our 5,000 or less hogs...
OMG, we have way more than 1,500,000 of them.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 05:43:59 PM »
Dated for sure! Pig tags are a good revenue stream for DFG now!  I think it was righ around $20 apiece this year. The days of 5 tag books are long gone.

Offline Insidious

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 08:49:10 PM »
Not mentioned is that forage strongly effects meat flavor. My neighbor, who used to regularly do pig hunts, would sometimes throw out the meat due to its 'tang'.  :o

nelson96

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »