Author Topic: Backpack opinions wanted  (Read 3154 times)

Offline atleif

• Prepper
  • So long and thanks for all the fish
Backpack opinions wanted
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:34:19 PM »
lookin for a backpack(BOB) to keep in my vehicle.....the 2 that so far look the best are Maxpedition falcon2 and camelbak urban assault. I want the UA concealment pack but they will only sell it to military/law enforcement(total BS in my opinion).I like the UA's  laptop and sunglass compartment and that it looks like a normal pack. where as from what i can tell the falcon has a bajillion straps hangin everywhere. that being said i hear nothing but good reviews about the falcon and have seen very few reviews on the Urban assault. just wondering if people owned either pack and have suggestions(i also want to conceal carry with pack potentially)

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
Re: Backpack opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 04:59:43 PM »
Any idea why they won't sell it to you?  Do they have some kind of law tying their hands?

If it's just BS, are you sure you want to buy from a company that is going to BS you that way?

Offline CovertPrepper67

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 07:51:09 AM »
atleif,

I normally order my gear from USCAV.com They are a great site. The shipping stings a little bit but if you get on their mailing list they will send out newsletters with free shipping codes every few months. I normally save a shopping cart till then. Anyway, they also have the backpack you want and it's a decent price, no sales restrictions.

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productid=17497&tabid=548

I forgot to add in what I use to carry every day. I use a MOAB10 from 5.11. The MOAB has a ton of room, if you want less room the have a MOAB6. Also the MOAB can be accessed from either side. Watch the video on USCAV about it and you should be impressed. Also the ability to CC a full sized handgun and get to if quickly without opening zippers is a nice bonus. I have a sandstone one with my EDC stuff. Also if you get any of the RUSH backpacks, the MOAB can clip onto the front. Now you have your long term bob in your car and can clip it to your EDC bag. I love the combo, and it works great for me.
just my $0.02
Cheers

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=20980&tabid=548
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:00:31 AM by CovertPrepper67 »

Offline atleif

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »
thanks for the input. think im gonna go with 511's rush 24. and your right im not gonna buy from camelbak.

Offline CovertPrepper67

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:18:18 AM »
atleif,

I had some trouble with USCAV when i ordered my RUSH72. So I canceled my order from there and got it from ManVentureOutpost. When i ordered i accidentally go the wrong color. I emailed them and they had that fixed and shipped in hours. +1 for their site. If you still have yet toorder your pack you might wanna look there.

CP67

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »
i have the
http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/COVRT/COVRT-18-Backpack.html
maroon and grey just looks like any other pack you see on the street but has concealed carry pouch.
“There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people. In the best of us there are thoughts or deeds that are wicked, and in the worst of us, at least some virtue. An adversary is not one who does loathsome acts for their own sake. He always has a reason that to him is justification. My cat eats mice. Does that make him bad? I don't think so, and the cat doesn't think so, but I would bet the mice have a different opinion.”
? Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule

Offline atleif

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 07:29:58 PM »
ya that pack looks cool..already ordered the rush 24 though....heard good things about it just no conceal pouch

Offline Mister Dark

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »
Just tossing this out, but have you had a chance to pull all the stuff you want to put in a BOB together, and see if it will all fit in the pack you are considering?   I have made the mistake (several times actually) of buying a pack, THEN trying to stuff all the, umm, stuff in it. 

I should mention that I have, over the years, become more and more of a Lightweight/UL kind of guy.  If I have to carry it farther than the end of the driveway, I want it as light as possible.  It is all a matter of what you are comfortable carrying - I know guys who can hump 50 pounds over 20 mountainous miles without even taking their hands out of their pockets, and I know guys who crash and burn with a 15 pound daypack.  It is all a matter of what you are capable of, and what you are prepared to carry.  For me, it is 30 pounds or less if I am wanting to make serious mileage.   I say this because the military style packs are very heavy duty, very well built, and Very Heavy, at least compared to some of the hiking packs on the market.  If you are paying attention to weight at all, the pack is one of the "big three" to try to drop a few ounces.  (the other 2 are shelter and  sleeping bag, btw)

So my advice is to pick all the gear, Then pick the pack.   And of course, feel free to ignore my advice completely.  Thats part of the fun.
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Oilfield Mafia

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Unplugged from the Matrix
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 09:55:55 AM »
Hey guys! Looked for the most relevant thread I could... I messed up I think  :-\  I read the reviews for the backpack I bought on one

website, and then actually BOUGHT it at another (I neglected to look at those reviews). Got it at CTD. Anyway, I bought the Molle 125

Modgear Ultimate Combat Backpack. There are apparently 2 manufacturers of this bag. VOODOO and CONDOR. Looks like the zippers

/ buckles are crap. Haven't had a pack since my ALICE pack in the corps. Just moving up from a Wal Mart backpack I've been using for 

months to get myself back into backpacking. My question is...should I make this a BOB for my 16 yr  old son and get myself another kind

or give this pack a try? I walk with my pack fully loaded around 10-15 miles a week. Thanks for any input!
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun Tzu (The Art of War)

Offline atleif

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 01:27:23 PM »
I would give it a try then reevaluate. Btw I ended up getting  511 tactical's Rush 24 pack. It is a well made pack that will outlive me and has lots of organization, bladder compatable and appears to look like a normal backpack. i use it as a BOB that i leave in my truck. The only downside is that its heavy, i wouldnt recommend it for long distance hiking but what i use it for its great.

Offline Oilfield Mafia

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Unplugged from the Matrix
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
Thanks for the input atleif! Yeah I'm gonna try it out, and if I think it blows I'll retire it. Might have to spend a little more to really get what I want. Hell I carry 60# in this Great Outdoors wally world special and it's help up fine. Just want a pack I can run with having that much gear, and it not falling apart. Gonna find out soon though cause Cheaper than Dirt sent me a message that it was shipped like the next day  :)  Hopefully it will be waiting for me when I get home from the rig. Ok..have a good 1
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun Tzu (The Art of War)

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 08:35:14 PM »
Honestly and realistically, you shouldn't have one pack for a BOB, or just one BOB for that matter.
Bugging out will be different depending on your situation. Small "bug outs" may only require a GHB. Leaving home may be a GOOD or INCH bag. It all depends on what you are expecting. Size and equipment and durability will vary based on these requirements.
 As far as the concealed carry goes, I understand what you are going for I think, but let me talk from a different angle for a moment: if you have a ccw, the reason behind it is to have a weapon of the same or better technology level as the highest level you expect reasonably face, in this case a gun. This is only really usable if it is on you where you can ergonomically deploy it when needed. I haven't used the packs you mention or really analyzed them for this purpose, but that being said, I wouldn't want my ccw to be behind me in a bag pretty much out of easy reliable and sure reach when I needed to deploy it. That being said, having a bag with a special pocket for it could work against you if you kept one in it and kept the bag in your car and the car was stolen, or the bag stolen out of it. I saw this from experience. I loaned a revolver to a friend so he could work a armed security job. (Dumb!) He left the gun under the seat in his Jeep. (Dumb, high priority theft target) Jeep stolen. Gun gone. Who knows what it has been used for since? I don't. The cops don't. Just the guy who stole it.
   If you are licensed to carry concealed or open, why put it in the bag? I'm not trying to pick at you, maybe I'm missing someting, but I don't get it. I mean if you are often at places you cannot carry even licensed, I would see about some low profile fast access strong box for the inreior of your vehicle.
   But to continue, different sizes and types of bags for this is a good idea that way you can scale up or down depending on your needs from one one of hopefully many sets of bug out gear.
  Feels funny to say this because at the moment, I really only have one BOB and its name is ALICE so its pretty much what it is, a BUB: Big Ugly Bag. A multiple redundant system is my goal though. I'm pretty new at this, but those are my thoughts and questions about it.
Man's mind is his basic tool of survival.
Fear is the mind killer.

Two rules for a happy life:
1. Never sling shit at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is slinging shit at an armed man.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Martial Tactical Training of Michigan
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 10:27:11 PM »
I have the maxpedition falcon 2 and love it.

It might be a bit too small for a typical BOB but would be ideal for an EDC pack and get home bag combo.

I use it this way.

Front top pouch for sunglasses

Front lower pouch for office supplies and iPad accessories.

Main front compartment  for iPad.

Main rear compartment for GHB stuff.

Hydration compartment for my CPL gun when on-body carry isn't appropriate.

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."     -Captain America

See my Examiner.com articles on Emergency Preparations: http://www.examiner.com/detroit-emergency-preparedness-in-detroit/donald-alley

See my Examiner.com articles on martial arts:  http://www.examiner.com/martial-arts-in-detroit/donald-alley

Offline ConcoursRider

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 05:32:42 PM »
What are your thoughts on the MOAB looking too "tactical" in some peoples eyes? I like the idea of this bag becoming part of a modular system for my GHB, EDC, BOB. I really like the idea of using this when I travel and I've read that the TSA "looks" for tactical bags, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet to buy. I would go black to be as inconspicuous if possible with this bag.

Any thoughts on the tactical look?

-Chris
Members Brigade Supporter