Author Topic: Colorado Wildfires/Waldo Canyon  (Read 16406 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Colorado Wildfires/Waldo Canyon
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 09:38:46 AM »
Hey Eronious. My friend "D" lives in Colorado Springs, to the SE I think. They are still holding in there at her place as they have cows to calve any day. If you PM me an addy I can see if she can find out about your house.

I hope you still have a house as well.

Cedar

Offline eronious

• Prepper
  • Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Homesteading the Front Range
Re: Colorado Wildfires
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 10:28:50 AM »
I'm just frustrated.  I've been on dozens of fires in my life, from Yellowstone in 1988 to the Hayman fire in 2002 and with big fires like this, there's nothing you can do but pray the wind stops, the rain comes and the temperatures fall into the 70s.  Tonight was a combination of the hottest day ever in June in Colorado (105F officially in Denver), single digit relative humidity (4-9%), and 65mph winds kicking up late in the afternoon.  The fire had been advancing north and west all day long, then turned hard to the east, taking out the northwest corner of a large section of Colorado Springs.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear about multiple deaths in the morning, too, as fast as this fire moved.  Those without reverse 911 likely had no warning until it was too late.

So having been through it the evac in Mountain Shadows, I was surprised to see people choking their way through the smoke to knock on their neighbors doors to see if they needed anything or to make sure they knew before they bugged out.  I myself went to each adjoining neighbor before I left and had several people check on me.  People don't suck in that neighborhood at all.

endurance

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »
That's great to hear.  Hopefully this monsoonal moisture continues to come into the state, providing cloud cover, higher humidities, lower temperatures, and rain.  Yes, there's wind and lighting with those thunderstorms, but without the rain, this state can't survive.

Offline eronious

• Prepper
Re: Colorado Wildfires
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »
I'm just frustrated.  I've been on dozens of fires in my life, from Yellowstone in 1988 to the Hayman fire in 2002 and with big fires like this, there's nothing you can do but pray the wind stops, the rain comes and the temperatures fall into the 70s.  Tonight was a combination of the hottest day ever in June in Colorado (105F officially in Denver), single digit relative humidity (4-9%), and 65mph winds kicking up late in the afternoon.  The fire had been advancing north and west all day long, then turned hard to the east, taking out the northwest corner of a large section of Colorado Springs.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear about multiple deaths in the morning, too, as fast as this fire moved.  Those without reverse 911 likely had no warning until it was too late.

My buddy was up there deer hunting in the Waldo Canyon area last year and he said the undergrowth was almost totally impassable.  If the timing hadn't been so bad weather-wise a nice controlled burn was probably in order, but stuff is catching on fire right now if you look at it wrong around here.

Offline eronious

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »
So actually, mountain shadows is where the 'several hundred' houses have burned down.  I THINK my house is ok, but I think Cedar might be able to help me check.  Thanks all for the good wishes!

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 11:25:02 AM »
A few of my friends are from Manitou Springs and own hotels, I believe they sent a few wives to bug out already, but as of this morning I saw a status update from Manitou Springs . He posted a few pictures back on the 24th:

From silver saddle motel in Manitou springs

View from manitou elementary school

Offline SA Friday

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Wow.  You all down in the springs, I hope you are getting the clouds like I am here in Castle Rock.  I'm hoping these clouds drop a couple inches of rain and spans the entire state.  I haven't seen it this dry here since 2002, Haymen Fire, time. 

We've been watching the pre-evac pretty close.  It's going all the way to  south DougCo county road right now.  Rain damn it.

endurance

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »
Unfortunately the first fatality has been reported.  On the plus side, no new homes have been lost since Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31236482/detail.html

The Waldo Canyon Fire has killed one person and burned 347 homes. The adult victim was found at a home at 2910 Rossmere St., in the Mountain Shadows subdivision. A second adult from the same address is missing, said Colorado Springs Police Chief Peter Carey.

This could be the first of several.  It's often difficult to find human remains in buildings that were completely consumed in fire.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »
My prayers go out to all of the folks in CO affected by these fires.  I grew up in Grand Lake CO and know the fear that comes with wildfire.  Stay strong, positive, and know that we're pulling for you!

V/r BP

Offline eronious

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 10:40:15 AM »
And robberies of evacuated homes have been confirmed.  Sometimes I really hate humans.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 11:53:01 PM »
Robberies yes and two have been arrested - 

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2012, 02:11:46 PM »
what is the news about the fires?  also, Endurance - where do you find your map updates?

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2012, 02:21:55 PM »
what is the news about the fires?  also, Endurance - where do you find your map updates?

I'm not sure where Endurance gets his, but here's the official Forest Service site - http://www.inciweb.org/state/6/

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2012, 02:28:02 PM »
Eronious - I don't know if you've seen this yet, but the initail damage assesment by the city is available:
http://www.springsgov.com/units/communications/WaldoFire_PreliminaryDamageAssessment_062912_8pm.pdf

I hope you find good news in there.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »
Eronious - I don't know if you've seen this yet, but the initail damage assesment by the city is available:
http://www.springsgov.com/units/communications/WaldoFire_PreliminaryDamageAssessment_062912_8pm.pdf

I hope you find good news in there.

wow - that is really random.  you have a destroyed house surrounded by "no visible damage" or a "no visible damage" surrounded by "total loss".  I wonder why some burned and some did not, especially in the areas where the others are opposite.  I mean, I understand a whole street or area burning or not burning, but wonder about the lone ones...

endurance

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2012, 04:34:03 PM »
wow - that is really random.  you have a destroyed house surrounded by "no visible damage" or a "no visible damage" surrounded by "total loss".  I wonder why some burned and some did not, especially in the areas where the others are opposite.  I mean, I understand a whole street or area burning or not burning, but wonder about the lone ones...
I can't be sure in specific cases, but a lot of it has to do with mitigation.  Those folks who used a lot of juniper around their homes for landscaping have no home to return to.  Those who's homes were surrounded by water-loving trees, like mountain ash, honey locust, etc., had a much better chance of surviving.  Also, if one home had rock trim to 4' up the walls while another had vinyl siding to the ground, the rock trim home has a much better chance. 

What may appear to be random by address is often the result of a very conscientious home owner vs. someone trying to save money with Xeroscaping.  By no means does mitigation guarantee survival or an unmitigated home is doomed, but many times it can make all the difference.

And inconel has the right source: Inciweb is the best source for the most accurate information.

It appears the monsoonal moisture is here and while we're not getting any soaking rains, just the increase in relative humidities, cloud cover, and 10F cooler has made an enormous difference in controlling the fires and preventing any new big ones (although we've had more than our fair share of small one's in the last week due to dry lighting).

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2012, 05:14:02 PM »
Any news Eronious? I heard they are letting some people in now

Cedar

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2012, 07:27:40 PM »
It is raining in Colorado tonight.  We desperately need rain and I'm not sure about Colorado Springs area but the Parker area and all the way north to Arvada saw some rain.  More heading our way tomorrow.  Keep your fingers crossed all.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2012, 07:37:37 PM »
Colorado Springs (at least my part) got significant rain. 

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2012, 07:56:13 PM »
it' don't take much to have significantly different weather reports in this city - did get a good steady rain - but as I always say - more please?  slow rain for long periods what makes my yard happy.

endurance

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2012, 08:44:11 PM »
Considering we just went onto 'no outside watering' restrictions in my neighborhood, I'm dancing a jig at the downpour we're getting at the moment.  I hadn't watered since Monday and usually water only Mondays and Fridays, so the timing is perfect, too.

Offline SA Friday

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2012, 11:29:48 PM »
FINALLY!!  Rain... ;D

Offline eronious

• Prepper
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »
Hey gang!  Endurance pointed out to me that I'd kind of left my status hanging out there!  Sorry to worry anyone, but everything is ok.  My house is still standing and I'm alright.  It does really make you think about maybe putting the gas pedal down on the preps though, hu?  Now if I could just talk the hubby into getting behind this whole homestead thing...  :)

Thanks for thinking of me gang!

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2012, 08:57:51 PM »
Glad your place made it through eronious.  I had been wondering but didnt want to pry.

Offline eronious

• Prepper
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2012, 12:28:01 AM »
Yeah, I think the closest house to my own that was lost was about 3 blocks away, but strangely enough, the only thing that happened to my place directly was that once I watered the you-know-what out of everything and it perked up, my "growies" seemed super excited about all the extra ash that got dumped on them.  I had about 3 full days of dusting, sweeping and vacuuming because the ash was seriously all over everything. I've discovered that I have the least air-tight house in the world.   ;)

Other than that, though, all good.  Anyone else have any issues?

endurance

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2012, 07:14:21 AM »
The only fallout for us was both me and my wife joined our local volunteer fire department.  She's working on a RN to EMT 1 week bridge class, then after a year, she'll take a 2 week RN to Paramedic bridge class.  I'm trying to find the time for an EMT class (if you're not an RN, it's a 178 hour program).  I'm also getting my wildland certification again.