Author Topic: Cast Iron Score! Had to share!  (Read 4129 times)

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
Cast Iron Score! Had to share!
« on: June 28, 2012, 07:52:44 AM »
Was at one of the local antique shops yesterday and really scored on cast iron!  I'm sharing because my local friends are not likely to get as excited as I am about these:

Wagner #8 skillet-$14.40
Griswold #7 Skillet-$14.40
Griswold #3 small pan (as in about 4 inches across) $7
Unnamed cast iron skillet, about 5" across- $4.99

A little rust on the #7 Griswold, and they need a bit of cleaning & re-seasoning, but compared to the price of new (which is nowhere near as nice) this is such a bargain!  I actually already have a #7 Griswold I picked up years ago at a rummage sale and brought back to life-I use it all the time.  The one I got yesterday is for my brother, the others are all to add to my own arsenal :)

I think I'm just going to go nuclear on them all-set them in the oven on self clean, cook them down to bare metal and start the re-seasoning from scratch.  That's what I did with the one I have.
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Cast Iron Score! Had to share!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:37:07 AM »
nice.  our heavy used one is our 4"  in fact we have 2 that are used frequently at the same time.

:happydance: just for you!
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:45:34 AM »
Keep an eye on garage sales.  Old (don't make 'em like they used to, the old ones are best) cast iron frying pans can often be found for $2.00 if they are rusty.  To fix them I chuck a wire wheel into a drill motor and scour off everything which doesn't belong there.  Sometimes 80 grit sandpaper is needed.  Then seasoning as usual.  I tend to fry potatoes (olive oil) and bacon a lot so soon they are beautiful.

Aside:  I used to have a cast iron frying pan, 18" diameter, 4" high inside.  Lost in a divorce.  If I ever find another one, I don't care what it costs, I'm buying it.
"For the world is hollow... and I have touched the sky!"

"Whenever we take away the liberties of those whom we hate we are opening the way to loss of liberty for those we love."
-Wendell L. Wilkie-
(1892-1944)

Offline Quebecker

• Fledgling Prepper
  • From the Great White North
    • Our Quiet Revolution
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 04:44:03 AM »
I keep searching the garage sales for cast iron, the problem is, that lots of people here know their value so they keep them.  Or the people who did have them, and passed them down, their kids have already sold them off.  Long time since that generation has been handing down.

Online Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 06:23:42 AM »
Just for ha-ha's sake I decided to do a Google image search for "old cast iron."

And I found this one very brief blog entry with a photo of about 2 dozen old rusting cast iron skillets all hanging up on the outside wall of a barn as one huge collective decoration.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7711610_season-old-cast-iron-skillet.html

Both interesting and sad I think. Unique barn decorations can be fun, but I kinda wish someone could have saved those old pans.

But then again ... maybe the barn owner is being clever. Maybe the barn prompts passersbys to stop and say to him "Hey! I have a few old cast iron pots and pans. Would you like to take them off my hands for free?" Or maybe he has a larger business involving cast iron and this choice to decorate the barn like this is a thematic advertisement for that business.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 06:32:16 AM by Oil Lady »
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Online Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 06:31:32 AM »
And here's another gem of a blog entry I found:

http://www.macheesmo.com/2010/07/ten-reasons-for-cast-iron/

"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline jr doyle

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:35:36 PM »
dont forget the goodwill's too. i was browsing one day while the wife was treasure hunting at goodwill and i found a 14" lodge on the bottom shelf that was buried under piles of junk (i think an employee had stashed it) and when i pulled it out it was marked $9! then when i showed my wife she informed me that the color tag was @ 25% off that day. felt like christmas!
By my own actions I am an indentured servant to the system. however, I shall work to earn my freedom!

Offline prepgal

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 02:03:36 PM »
I love my cast iron.  I use it everyday.  Some I bought from Lodge and others passed down from my mom.  Nothing makes better fried chicken or pone cornbread!
prepgal

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
This summer I scored a few on the cheap at yard sales as well.

Most people have no clue.  I got mostly modern brands like Lodge, but for $5 when they sell knew at Cabela's for 10x that price.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 03:58:20 PM »
Trying to win a deep pan on ebay right now. Gotta fry me up some southern fried chicken. :D
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline NorIDhunter

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 09:34:54 AM »
I love my cast iron.  I use it everyday.  Some I bought from Lodge and others passed down from my mom.  ;D  Nothing makes better fried chicken or pone cornbread!
Or meatloaf or pineapple upside down cake or ...

We've got an old Gris that my mom inherited from HER mom, so it's from the 30's or 40's! I remember her & my aunts arguing that it wasn't fair and she needed to "shaaare it". Not so much! Mom guarded that pan jealously!
Last year we found a few "oldies" at an "estate sale". Seems a guy had inherited an old western store and had to sell off a bunch of inventory to pay taxes etc.  :(
Thanks to TSP I was able to direct the Huntress to the Gris's!

I work at an animal shelter with a thrift store so I get a 50% discount. I grab all the iron I can and was able to score some steak platters and the wood planks to go along the other day, $4.50 for all 3!
Got to keep on keepin on

Offline ouphie

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 01:31:38 PM »
I too have scored all my cast iron from Goodwill.  We just picked up a 5 inch pan for 3 bucks.  Didn't even have to knock any rust off. 

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 02:01:24 PM »
Awesome scores guys!

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »

I think I'm just going to go nuclear on them all-set them in the oven on self clean, cook them down to bare metal and start the re-seasoning from scratch.  That's what I did with the one I have.

This will absolutely work.  I accidentally left some cast iron in the stove and found this to be an effective way to strip cast iron...   :o

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 07:05:25 PM »
Whatever you do, don't stop at the Lodge Cast Iron  Factory Outlet in South Pittsburg, TN. It is dangerous I tell you!    :-[   ;)

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 08:43:25 AM »
Whatever you do, don't stop at the Lodge Cast Iron  Factory Outlet in South Pittsburg, TN. It is dangerous I tell you!    :-[   ;)

so that is where it is located huh?  guess where we will be stopping on our cross country trip :P
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 09:18:20 AM »
so that is where it is located huh?  guess where we will be stopping on our cross country trip :P

Don't say I didn't warn you!  ;D

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2011/08/lodge_cast_iron_store_south_pittsburg.php

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »

Make sure to budget for your gas mileage to go down due to all the extra weight!

I have a Wagner #8 that I kind of wandered off with (with Mom's permission) from the garage at some point.  Dad later objected that it was his from college.  "Daddy, can I have this? Pleeeease?" Yeah, I got to keep it.

I've had to reseason it a few times.  Don't bake quiche in it, then soak it to get the rest to come out.  Yeah, that was a fail.

I think my favorite wedding present did not come from the registry - one of my friends bought me a dutch oven and 3 cast iron skillets.  I'm still working on getting the skillets seasoned correctly, but I'm deep frying corn dogs and french fries in the dutch oven for dinner tonight.
Cousin: "Who was crazy enough to take her to the range?"
Guy I later married: "I figured I should know how well she can shoot before I tick her off.  I don't want to tick her off."

Offline Kilted Brewer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 05:54:43 PM »
When the current crop of non stick pots and pans dies, I'm replacing it all with cast iron.  I have to lodge dutch ovens, one black with 3 legs, and the other is an enamled one.

I use them more than anything else in the kitchen, everything from soup to bread.  And when we camp, most meals come out of that 3 leg oven.  All our camping buddies went out and got their own after I cooked a few meals for them.

People around here seem to know the value of cast iron as well.  I rarely see them at yard sales or in goodwill stores.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 12:35:44 PM »
Hmmm, I think I need to get one of the dutch oven with legs and add campfire cooking to my skills list. . .

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 01:21:29 AM »
Excellent Cast Iron Group on Facebook...  https://www.facebook.com/groups/castironskillet/
Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!
Murder Capital of the South

Offline urbansurvivor

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • How to get an abandoned house
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 03:04:37 PM »
Nice, love the facebook link and the top 10 link

Ok, here's my cast iron score :)

I was cleaning out a friend's garage, and found this awesome trio of pans:
One large pan
One medium pan
and one smaller pan with ridges it in, to cook bacon! (or whatever.  but mostly bacon)

I also picked up this great flat skillet, with a grease runoff trough, that could sit on the stove or on a bbq.

Mine were rusty - so I cleaned them using standard cast iron cleaning solvents, and oiled/greased them up good.  Voila.  Now I just need a Dutch oven like all you guys
How to find (and keep) and abandoned house
www.whatisadversepossession.com
(ebook on sale)

Offline Hestia

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 03:01:45 AM »
Amazon also has some pretty good pricing on Lodge cast iron. Tends to be half the price of what I see cast iron for in local stores.

Offline shastaw2006

• Prepper
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 05:24:35 PM »
Nice score!

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2013, 08:57:14 PM »
There's also a Lodge store near Pigeon Forge, TN.  Stopped by there recently on a trip and got more than we intended due to the "factory seconds" they offer.

Picked up a chicken fryer and pizza pan, an skillet all "seconds" and the square paninni press.

I never seem to find CI at garage/estate sales though, guess I don't get out early enough.

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 01:48:57 AM »

Heed the Gunny...
Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

So go do some PT, then by all means take some ninja classes.
-- Chemsoldier

Offline asilshu

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »
I have two cast iron pans given to me by my mother that was given to her by her mother, granny received it from her mother, boy oh boy have those pans seen a lot of action!!!!!  Donuts, french fries, eggs, sausage oh and my moms homemade hash browns.  I also picked some smaller cast iron pans up at garage sales.  There are some YouTube videos on how to clean and season them. 

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 06:25:07 PM »
After my grandfather died, I was helping clean out his old camping trailer.  Along with a lot of other gear my grandma gave me, I got a nice old 9 incher.  It works great along with the 12 incher that I got when I was married.
The doctor told me when I was born that my chances of getting out of this life alive were slim.
Check out my blog http://rangerspreparedness.blogspot.com/
www.mormon.org