Author Topic: Berkey water filter appreciation  (Read 3923 times)

Offline 7String

• Fledgling Prepper
Berkey water filter appreciation
« on: June 30, 2012, 07:22:28 AM »
I've been meaning to sit down and give Kudos to Jeff for his kick ass service and to Berkey for making an amazing product.
I wanted to share some things that I have been doing with my berkey that in my opinion demonstrates how well it truly works.

First off according to the 2010 water report Chlorine levels found were @ 2.7/range:.50-3.60...Yummy! Fluoride 0.43 | 0.20 HV Range:
0.13-0.92 | 0.01-.78 HV...can't taste it but rest assured it good for you! The notes state: Erosion of natural deposits; Water additive which pormotes strong teeth; discharge from fertilizer and aluminum factories.
Then it goes on with 0.91 lead with range: N/A blah, blah, blah...

Anyway it took only a few moments a few years ago of this horse $hit to realize that I don't want to drink this crap any more. Enter Berkey light onto my counter top.

Here are the observations that I have made over the past 2 years. Not only does the water taste...or not taste at all. It has ruined me from getting water at resturants and public fountains. I don't wear a foil hat, if i'm thirsty for water I will drink from a fountain, i'm just reminded by the taste that I made the right decision to buy a berkey.
I usually cut up my veggies and put them in containers in my fridge for convenience (broccoli,lettuce, Kale, greens etc). Having grown up in northern Michigan out in the boonies as my Mother called it. My family were preppers before preppers was cool, it's just what they did. My mother always added a shot of water to any of the veggies that she stored in the fridge. She claimed that it would help them last longer. We had well water and it was un- polluted.
I tried that when I moved into the Nashville area before my berkey and veggies and even fruit didn't last long. The lettuce especially would concentrate the chlorine and if was still green,,,it tasted funky to say the least.
I've been adding just a few oz. of berkey water to my cut veggies and they now stay crisp and green for about a week and a few days.
I have venus flytraps and a few pitcher plants that I grow for a challenge in my small apartment along with some peppers, and strawberries. The flytraps are a picky plant and it is suggested that purified, distilled or reverse osmosis water be used, absolutely NO TAP WATER. I've been growing the flytraps for 2 years now using only berkey water and they have thrived. My peppers and strawberries did equally well.

Again...amazing product!

Thanks,
Allen

Offline howardsheppard

• Prepper
  • ** Insert brilliant phrase here **
Re: Berkey water filter appreciation
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:32:25 AM »
Thanks for that review, 7String!

My wife and I have been getting spring water delivered to our house for the last year or so to the tune of $35 or so per month.  We drink quite a bit (I go for 1 gallon per day!) and have been researching Berkey products for a few days.

We are currently trying to decide between the Berkey Light vs. the stainless models (leaning toward the former). 

Two questions:  Can you give some clue as to how often you take it apart and clean the Berkey?  Also, is there an 'off' taste when the filters are new?

Thanks again.

Offline viking

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Howard,
I've had my Berky light for years.
I've never taken it apart to clean it yet.
Last month it still passed the food coloring test.
Doug

Offline howardsheppard

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »
GREAT news Doug!

Your timing couldn't have been better...  I just ordered mine 20 minutes ago! :)

I ended up getting the Light vs. the stainless version.  My MSB discount code didn't work, though... :-[

Offline 7String

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 06:38:25 PM »
Hey Howard, Congratulations on your berkey! Beware! water will never taste the same to you. I would rather drink a soda when at a restaurant than order a free glass of water.
You asked if there was any funky taste to the fresh filters. The answer is no, as long as you follow the cleaning/first time use instructions. These things are nothing like what most people are used to. My only experience prior to mine was a brita. I've cleaned mine a couple of times in the past 2 years or so. I noticed some funk from my city water gathering in the top chamber. However that had no affect on the lower chamber at all.
The black filters are said to last around 6K gallons or 5 to 6 years... that really depends on how nasty the water is though. The Fluoride filters? again kind of depends on your water department and how the party with that crap. I change my Fluoride filters about every 9 months or so just to be safe. Black filters are doing fine. If it slows down on ya, there are instructions on how to clean the black filters and get it back up to speed.

You are going to love this and you and your wife are going to wonder how in the heck you every got by without one.

~A

Offline howardsheppard

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 02:25:46 AM »
Thanks 7string!

In your opinion:  how 'necessary' are thee fluoride filters?

Offline 7String

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 04:18:25 AM »
Thanks 7string!

In your opinion:  how 'necessary' are thee fluoride filters?

I guess that depends on your take on fluoride and whether or not your water is being fluoridated by the city. If you have well water you probably won't need them. If you are on the city grid, go to the city water works site and they should have a chemical break down report of what is being put in the water and approximately how much they are putting in.

~Allen

Offline howardsheppard

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 05:07:48 AM »
Fair enough.  Thanks again for the help!

Offline apocalypticfiction

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Apocalyptic Fiction
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 08:16:26 PM »
I've been using my Berkey light filter for a few months now and have had no problems at all. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.