Author Topic: What is food storage worth?  (Read 3786 times)

Offline swissprepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • european long life food
What is food storage worth?
« on: July 09, 2012, 03:55:43 AM »
What is your food storage worth to you?  It depends on how you eat, and how you want to eat.  My food philosophy is 1. Eat fresh locally grown products.  2. Grow as much of your own food as you can (sprouts is a good place to start).  3.  Store a years worth of food for each person in your house.
#1 and #3 are a trade off.  Stored food naturally has to be processed (at least in a container when talking about grains).  You should store one years worth of grains and beans, pasta, and canned goods.
But then look at the shelf life.  If a can of peas costs $2 and has a 2 year shelf life - but by consuming that can, you will not eat something else that is fresh, then it has an opportunity cost.  A can that lasts 4 years would decrease that opportunity cost in half - or make it twice as valuable - worth $4.  An 8 year life halves the opportunity cost again, a 16 year shelf life, etc.  That is why I can justify $50 (here in Europe it is expensive) for a 25 year shelf life can of 8 servings of a complete meal.  That is only about $6 per serving, but I only have to use 4% per year to rotate it out and keep it within the use by date.  Long term viability has a HUGE value if you want to stay eating as much fresh food as possible and store as much as possible.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: What is food storage worth?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 06:46:01 AM »
The security of knowing my family will be able to eat no matter what happens.... Priceless

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 07:17:57 AM »
It's an interesting question.

Here at the house we do a lot of seasonal shopping at the local farmer's market for fruits, vegetables, eggs and some meats. Last year we added peach, plum and fig (the pear didn't make it) to a place in the yard with a very productive apple tree. I also started gardening this year with 192 square feet of raised/hugelkultur beds. So fresh food is worth a lot and very important to my family.

With that said, I also realize that where I live that I can't eat 100% local fresh foods the entire year round so I understand the importance and worth of food storage even if I don't take emergency situations into consideration. So, while I like to eat local fresh foods, I'm not overly bothered by having about 9 months of storage foods for my family. I used to have more than a year and a half worth of food put away, but due to various circumstances used about half of that. The only real problem I have with it is knowing with certainty what is in those foods and where they came from.

To combat some of the questions we had about storage foods we started processing our own by dehydrating, canning, fermenting and freezing. Last year we put away more than 300 quarts worth of fruits and vegetables and hope to both double that and expand the types of food we put away this season. We also bought a half a cow and a lot of pork from a local rancher.

Regarding the actual dollar value of food storage, I really don't take that much into consideration. A $2.00 can of peas could be worth $100.00 if you're hungry enough. That kind of value, the value of keeping my family alive and well through lean times, is all I really care about.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 07:38:46 AM »
The security of knowing my family will be able to eat no matter what happens.... Priceless

+1  there is a calming peace of mind when I walk into my food storage and know that we will not go hungry.  and that peace of mind is worth more than money

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »
A better question might be what was food storage worth to people of the past, as in the grand parents. My grandfather in Arkansas grew a 2 acre garden. They put up enough each year for themselves, some to sell and plenty to give away to family such as the 3 sons.

What where their staples?  Potatoes and Onions kept in an unused dairy barn functioned like a root cellar.  Canning in quart glass jars and Freezing was next. Grandmother canned Green beans and Tomato juice mainly, as well as jams. She froze just about everything else. Fresh Fruit, peas and beans, corn etc all frozen. They did some fishing from their own ponds and froze fish. Occasionally they would slaughter a hog. A lot of what they produced though they ate fresh in season.  The fruits grandpa grew where concord grapes(until the 2-4D got them), apples, peaches, pares, strawberries. Peanuts where also big. They had a few pecans and black walnuts.
Wild blackberries and huckleberries could be gathered yearly, as well as muscadine(wild grape) occasionally. Polk greens grow wild were frozen yearly as well.

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 05:50:35 PM »
Worth the peace of mind knowing that we'll have food for a good long while, even if we can't go to the store (for some reason).

Where are you shopping that you're paying $2 for a can of peas??
They're like $1.10 here, 560 cents if you find them on sale.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »
In 1996 I did a workup on what my pantry was worth to me, how much it saved me and if it was worth my time.

Applesauce I would have had to work for $8.90 an hour/tax free in order to buy the applesauce I needed.
Sausage (bratwurst) was $49.50/hr tax free for what I put up.
Pears $13.90hr/tax free
Peaches $ 9.60 an hour/tax free
Pickles $9.80hr/tax free
Soup $38.80hr/tax free
Jam $11. 12+hr/tax free
Canned Blueberries $14.40hr/tax free
Asparagus $71hr/tax free
Spaghetti Sauce $28.80hr/tax free.
At that time in 1996 I made $6-something an hour working my behind off as a vet tech 14-16 hr days.

I know when I was out of work, my pantry saved me $300+ a month so I could eat otherwise I might not have.
I know when I add foods to my pantry in this last year from gleaning fields and putting it up, it is worth over $800 a month.

FF already said it when I read the OP.. and what I said before I read her post.. I said PRICELESS.

Cedar