Author Topic: Metal Detector Recomendations  (Read 7431 times)

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
Metal Detector Recomendations
« on: February 26, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »
For years, I have wanted a metal detector, and I'm finally going to get one.  If I can keep my Inner Little Kid contained, I'll wait until tomorrow, but I really want to get it NOW!

So I looked around a bit, and I think I like the Bounty Hunter QD2GWP Quick Draw II.  It comes with a pin pointer and a carry bag, so that's nice.  At $151.97 (free shipping - thank you Amazon Prime), it sounds like a really good deal, and I like that they state it's waterproof because I might want to use it in streams or at the beach.  It's actually coming in at a slightly lower price than the standard Quick Draw II that doesn't say it's waterproof and doesn't come with the accessories.  Seller appears to be Bounty Hunter and the reviews are good (4.2 out of 5 stars, which is good for something electronic that gets used outside a lot).

Any thoughts?

Anything else I might need that I wouldn't think of until it's too late?

I did end up getting a Kindle book about starting out too.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
Re: Metal Detector Recomendations
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 04:50:40 PM »
Just a little out of budget for me, but I did like the looks of that one.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
I've been considering a metal detector for my wife.  Knowing nothing about them, I went looking for some experts on internet forums.  Over on the Friendly Metal Detecting Forum, I found the Garret that ncjeeper wants is considered a good introductory system.  Bounty Hunters get poo-poohed, but there is some love for them - http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=180850&highlight=bounty+hunter

You definitely get what you pay for, but that BH kit looks like a deal.  There's always Craigslist - I've seen a few good ones listed there.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 07:21:44 PM »
I had it in my cart, went back a couple of hours later and the price was not what I thought.  It was $197.   >:(

But still... it seemed like a good deal, so I ended up getting it.  I also got a metal cat litter scoop for $7 that will do for now.

Offline IKN

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 11:30:03 AM »
Be careful, when they say waterproof, they're talking about the search coil only.
I know you already bought it, but in general, Whites and Garretts tend to be the best reviewed.
Metal detectors use one of three technologies:
•Very low frequency (VLF)
•Pulse induction (PI)
•Beat-frequency oscillation (BFO)
Most Bounty Hunters are BFO types if I remember correctly. They work, but depth is limited.
I bought a White XLT Spectrum about 10+ years ago. Ran me about $850 back then though.
I use it for searching old, long forgotten, local historical sites. I've collected original 18th & early 19th century local history books and maps/atlases that I use to research for places to hunt.
Being in the midwest, beach huinting is only during vacations for me. Local lakes with a swim area can be good spot as well since people tend to lose a lot of stuff there.
Parks and playgrounds are usually good for a few coins.
Be advised, once you find something, the treasure hunting bug bites hard !
Happy detecting.
BTW:
Bring plenty of extra batteries when you go.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:11:03 PM »
Thanks, IKN!

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 03:27:25 PM »
I bought a "Whites" Clissic II metal detector after I bought my place...found old cow bell a few horse shoes, barbed wire ,cut nails, ammo shells of all sizes, just something to do when I get Bored. it's been a fun to use item.
keeb. in southern,va

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 07:14:54 PM »
I'm a little intimidated by the number of places you're NOT allowed to use them, and the idea that they can actually confiscate them.

But I did talk to my mom, and she has a pretty good-sized vacant corner lot behind her that she owns, and she actually wants me to come and use it there.

So far, nothing though.

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
I want to get one and comb the local playgrounds & parks... Theres gotta be some lost jewlery there, maybe old coins..  I doubt Id treasure up enough to pay for the detector, but it would be a cool past time from time to time...

The super cheap one I have now, I found a lot of bottle caps with it.   :-)

TOG

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 07:49:53 AM »
Yes; so many restrictions.
I'm near Appomattox,Va. where The Civil war ended, Many people even on Craigs list want to check out farms around me---most wont let them. I wouldn't mind, not going to find gold or anything. I also carry a magnet with me when in fine dirt---rub magnet in it--prevents some false signals.
 I've watched the "Diggers" program some, I just don't get all the screaming every time someone finds something, But I guess that's to keep people excited at what they found.
 I was doing some fencing & a few "U shaped staples got away from me--- it was great for finding them. good luck with your Hobby.

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 08:24:48 AM »
I got a Whites years ago (don't remember the model) but it has been good to me.

Been using it on my 22 acres that we got 2 years ago.  Found a few bullet shells, some metal pieces, few links of an old chain, and part of a plow.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/znglqtyxifr0kyb/2014-04-06%2014.39.42.jpg
(you can see a couple of links of the chain I found in the picture)

Used the MD at a campground I was staying at and searched near a pavillion, my dad and I "cleaned up" and made about $30.00 in loose change in a couple of hours.

Yeah, it sucks the number of places that you are not allowed to use the MD.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 07:27:56 PM »
I also carry a magnet with me when in fine dirt---rub magnet in it--prevents some false signals.

Ooh, good idea!

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 07:46:17 PM »
Been using it on my 22 acres that we got 2 years ago.  Found a few bullet shells, some metal pieces, few links of an old chain, and part of a plow.

Yeah, my backyard is just a little bit smaller.  Took me about 15 minutes to cover the whole thing.

My home is on a .09 acre lot.  No, that's not a typo.  Less than an tenth of an acre.

Offline Thunderhawkburner

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 07:23:50 AM »
This thread seemed like a good  place to continue this question.

What is a good cheap detector for my shallow metal needs? I only need to detect nails, screws, nuts and bolts and maybe staples. Basically leftovers from a bonfire, though some of our bonfires are 20 feet square. We only need to detect about 3 or 4 inches deep in sand or top one inch of dirt typically.

The above Garret and Bounty Hunter seem like good units but my situation is a bit special since I'm not really treasure hunting and they seem like decent lowish end treasure detectors.

TMI below.

We run leave no trace events usually at a campground or private property. The caveat is that we also burn stuff and have had issues in the past with landowners blaming us for hundreds of nails and such left behind. We go over our sand burn pads with magnetic rakes and such so I'm sure we've missed a few but we want to be sure we are doing our best. In his defense we picked about 3 or 4 gallons of metal out of that burn pad. Typically the sand is loaded out to walking or ATV trails and dumped to make them nicer. We sifted the sand one year but that turned into an all day project since we were trying to sift 9 yards of sand. My thoughts are a quick sweep with a cheap metal detector and we will know we got all the metal. We are not looking inches under dirt only sand and whats on top of the dirt.

Offline Elwyn

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 11:20:13 PM »
This thread seemed like a good  place to continue this question.

What is a good cheap detector for my shallow metal needs? I only need to detect nails, screws, nuts and bolts and maybe staples. Basically leftovers from a bonfire, though some of our bonfires are 20 feet square. We only need to detect about 3 or 4 inches deep in sand or top one inch of dirt typically.

The above Garret and Bounty Hunter seem like good units but my situation is a bit special since I'm not really treasure hunting and they seem like decent lowish end treasure detectors.

TMI below.

We run leave no trace events usually at a campground or private property. The caveat is that we also burn stuff and have had issues in the past with landowners blaming us for hundreds of nails and such left behind. We go over our sand burn pads with magnetic rakes and such so I'm sure we've missed a few but we want to be sure we are doing our best. In his defense we picked about 3 or 4 gallons of metal out of that burn pad. Typically the sand is loaded out to walking or ATV trails and dumped to make them nicer. We sifted the sand one year but that turned into an all day project since we were trying to sift 9 yards of sand. My thoughts are a quick sweep with a cheap metal detector and we will know we got all the metal. We are not looking inches under dirt only sand and whats on top of the dirt.

Wal Mart has started selling metal detectors. I believe Bounty Hunter. They are cheep but fairly good for what you are wanting to do with them.

Anyone that is interested in metal detecting should read Western Eastern mag and Lost Treasures mag. They have LOADS of info in them and well and each issue has the rules for metal detecting. Some being: fill in any hole you dig. Get permission to metal detect on privet property and public property.

Elwyn