Author Topic: Kayak survival kit,some pics  (Read 3230 times)

Offline atfan

• Fledgling Prepper
Kayak survival kit,some pics
« on: July 11, 2012, 07:16:15 PM »

Here are some pictures of what I carry in my Kayak survival kit-also seems appropriate for Halloween....

fire kit

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Kayak survival kit,some pics
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »
Looks like a pretty good setup. How do you carry it? Water proof bag?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:33:12 AM »
Nice looking kit.  More basic and compact than my backpacking kit.  I should take some stuff out of mine.  Anyway, who makes the orange knife and is the revolver a taurus .38?
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline atfan

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:40:47 PM »
The revolver is a Smith&Wesson model 60 .38 ....I made the knife using a blade from knifekits.com and G10 handle material,made the sheath from kydex,fun project

Offline snickers

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 11:13:59 PM »
Nice kit atfan! Welcome to the forum and +1! My parents are avid kayakers and you've given me an idea of what kind of stuff to get them for Christmas! Well minus the Smith&Wesson, that'd be a very expensive Christmas present.  ;D

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 02:38:49 PM »
I am curious to know what other gear some of you avid kayakers in your "BOK".

What piece of equipment or material would you recommend for a Bug-Out Kayak?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sign up for TSP Forum Newsletter with updates and interesting forum threads: http://eepurl.com/iipvo

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 08:41:56 PM »
I am curious to know what other gear some of you avid kayakers in your "BOK".

What piece of equipment or material would you recommend for a Bug-Out Kayak?

I always carry a bug/mesh hat, sunscreen, and some small amounts of food (granola bars, mostly). It all gets stuffed into a hard Nalgene bottle, along with some similar items (whistle, small knife) similar to what the OP listed. A compass is a must, as well.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." - C.S. Lewis

All people - despite artistic pretensions, civilization, and many technologies - owe their existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains. - James M. Corven, Basic Soil Improvement for Everyone (1983)

Offline PE

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 06:33:26 AM »
Having done 20+ extended wilderness/expedition type trips, mostly along the west coast of Vancouver Island, BC, Canada, lasting from 5 to 13 days....I must say that is a very nice kit, indeed.  The .38 would not be worth trying to smuggle into Canada, if coming from the states, but the rest of it is right on the money.  I did take a break-down 12 guage Browning made for Montgomery Wards a couple of times...but had to declare it.  It became such a hassle, that we started leaving it at home.  I was mainly concerned with bears.  Speaking of....I do believe in the right to arm bears.  PE

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »
Mine's similar, with addition of the Adventure Medical Kits Marine 300;

It includes this:

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=113&catname=Marine&prodname=Marine%20300#

I've tinkered with it a bit but its a good, solid kit right off the shelf. The book alone is almost worth the price of the kit.
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 04:31:33 PM »
I saw water treatment, but some bottles of water ready for times you don't have time to treat, such as flushing wounds or eyes.   Sun screen, sunburn treatment, and sunglasses, some the worst burns I've ever gotten were on the water.
With all the new and different mistakes out there waiting to be made, why keep repeating the same ones?

http://www.extension.org/

I just don't let preconceptions get in the way of doing what needs to be done.

Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, nihil deerit
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Thomas Johnson

• Prepper
  • Survivalist DeLuxe :-)
    • Survival Guide
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 03:55:31 AM »
I saw water treatment, but some bottles of water ready for times you don't have time to treat, such as flushing wounds or eyes.   Sun screen, sunburn treatment, and sunglasses, some the worst burns I've ever gotten were on the water.

Agree on that one! Used to do a lot of sailing in my teens, and as boys most, sunscreen isn´t that much of a priority.. untill your get home and looks like and feel like an overcooked lobster!
Full time wilderness guide and freelance writer for ablesurvivor.com
"We are just 9 meals from anarchy"

Offline ridge rover

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 08:45:26 PM »
I've learned from almost deadly experience, you must have some sort of kit on your person at all times. When you capsize and you go one way and yer boat goes the other way, what you have on your person,  may be all you have for days.
aka "Survival Sully"

Offline Wingman115

• Survivor
    • Wingman115 YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 08:31:14 PM »
Solid kit thumbs up!

Offline 72HourPreps

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • 72 Hour Preps
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 04:06:23 PM »
Love the BOK kit you've assembled, these are all great ideas I'm going to take into consideration as I purchase my first kayak.  Thanks for posting and the pics!
Artist - Designer - Do-er of Things

“I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.”
- Leonardo da Vinci

http://72hourpreps.com/