Author Topic: Camo pattern for eastern Washington?  (Read 10475 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Camo pattern for eastern Washington?
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:05:49 AM »
I am starting to coyote hunt in eastern Washington.  It's arid like eastern Oregon or maybe parts of Montana.  (People think "Washington" and think "rain." Not so when the clouds coming east dump their contents on the Cascade mountains before passing over eastern Washington.)

Camo is pretty important for coyotes.  I plan on setting up around a tree (there aren't many out there but some) or a creek bed.

I'm thinking regular woodland camo patterns like Mossy Oak or Real Tree will be just fine.  That is, I don't need true desert patterns since the grassland and shrub around me might be largely brown but I'm hiding in tree areas so a little green would be good.

What do y'all think?

Also, any thoughts on layering or the weight of the clothes?  By that I mean I plan on getting some warm weather pants and a warm weather shirt for late spring through early fall.  For colder weather, I plan on using underliners with these warm weather pants and then a medium insulation jacket for the top. 

I don't want to be a typical city boy and go spend some money on impractical clothes.  I want to be practical. 

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Camo pattern for eastern Washington?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 01:29:35 PM »
Layering is the way to go. 

As far as what colors to buy...I'm not familiar with eastern WA but in general any earth tone with some pattern to it should be fine.  You don't need to go spend a fortune on camouflage clothing.  Think plaids with varying sized designs, some of the best camo are old wool shirts in plaid colors.  For colors think tans, grays, dull greens, even red & blue work with some species.  It's going to depend somewhat on how the animal you're hunting sees the different light spectrum's.

I know accomplished hunters who don't wear "camouflage" at all.  They hunt in tweeds, plaids & the various dull colored clothing I mentioned.  I personally use very little modern camouflage when I hunt.  Modern day camouflage, while effective is more of a marketing gimmick aimed at followers of the "hunting industry".

Understand how the animal you're hunting sees it's world, & that will give you some perspective on how to dress for the occasion.

tallfoo

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 03:01:36 PM »
A buddy of mine and I are planning a coyote hunting trip out to Eastern Oregon later this month.  As far as what I'm planning on wearing...I only have Mossy Oak Breakup and Duckblind camo.  So I'll wear the basic Breakup pattern and find a nice tree or shrub to blend in with.  But this will be my first time hunting coyote.

I will let you know how it goes.

Offline NW Martster

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:46:03 PM »

Sorry couldn't pass it up.

Which part of Eastern Washington?  Northern, Mid or Southern.

Mid and Southern very grassy.  North timber and mountains.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »

Sorry couldn't pass it up.

Which part of Eastern Washington?  Northern, Mid or Southern.

Mid and Southern very grassy.  North timber and mountains.

Very nice.  LOL on that one. 

Mid eastern Washington around Moses Lake.

I'm liking the Mossy Oak Brush, especially for eastern Washington:

I actually got Mossy Oak Breakup but that's fine.  I figure I should spend time actually hunting instead of shopping. 

Offline NW Martster

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 09:56:55 PM »
That should work well, I am not sure when coyote season is over there but it's also great Mule Deer hunting also.

Have a great hunt.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:25:11 AM »
There is no beginning or end to coyote season in Washington state: open all year round. 

Spring is when the pups are out exploring, summer is when the whole family is out (especially at night), fall is when they're running around, and winter is when they're hungry and breeding.

Offline Rom

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 09:37:51 PM »
Heavy,
      I have done a fair amount of coyote hunting in SE WA. If you don't mind sharing, I wouldn't mind a PM with some more details. You could toss it out in here if you want, but I know some guys are secretive about their "spots." The aforementioned Mossy Oak would work fine. Most of my 'yoting has been in scrub/farmland along the Snake so I usually employ Cabela's Outfitter Line.  It seemed to work fine. Good cover and area fam/sit awareness seems to be key too. Know your wind direction and access/egress to your shoot box. Alot of this will depend on if you are calling, waiting, baiting, roaming, etc. Again, with a bit more info, I may be able to lend better advice, and I am a curious-natured guy, so I want to know how you are hunting. I've done a bit of all of it. Probably taken most mine by stumbling across them while hunting deer and pheasant, and taken the least by calling (hoping to remedy that this year), but yeah... let me know. Good luck and safe shooting.

***Edited linkage***
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:33:03 PM by DeltaEchoVictor »

Goatdog62

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 09:53:47 PM »
I went hunting humans (tactical survival scenario, not for real) in the desert about 80 miles SW of Spokanistan last year. Any tan or brown seemed fine, though a little green wouldn't hurt at all.

Damn it gets cold there at night in August. Slept in a trash bag, as that was all I had. Stars were kickass however.

Offline Rom

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 10:38:20 PM »
Thanks whoever edited that link. I swear it is on my short list of things to learn.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 10:49:56 PM »
Thanks whoever edited that link. I swear it is on my short list of things to learn.
Welcome. ;D

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 02:09:24 PM »

Heavy,
      I have done a fair amount of coyote hunting in SE WA. If you don't mind sharing, I wouldn't mind a PM with some more details.

PM sent.