Author Topic: Wilderness and Remote First Aid (Free Book Download)  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Mental Arson

• Prepper
  • Live as people determined to be free.
    • MentalArson.com
Wilderness and Remote First Aid (Free Book Download)
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:34:47 PM »
Wilderness and Remote First Aid (WFA) is an excellent step above the typical first aid people typically get to satisfy work requirements. I got my class through the Boy Scouts and it was about 60-75% less expensive then other available classes in my area.

I found a PDF version of the WFA book by the Red Cross.

I actually converted it to an audio file too via text-to-speech, but it's not completely edited. If anyone is interested, I can share that.

PDF
(Link removed due to copyright violation)

Check out this cool interactive, searchable flipping book option. (Flash...so no good for iPad).
(Link removed due to copyright violation)

The next level up in training is Wilderness Advanced First Aid (WAFA) so if anyone has a PDF of that, let me know.

I was checking out the downloads section of the MSB and snagged a few great resources.
This may be something Jack can add to the list.

I also found this very compact First Aid reference.
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/documents/4000-0170%20Wilderness%20First%20Aid%20and%20Survival%20Instructions.pdf

And the Comprehensive Guide to Travel and Wilderness Medicine.
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/documents/Comprehenive%20Guide%20Wilderness.pdf
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:37:16 PM by Docwatmo »
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." -Samuel Adams

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Wilderness and Remote First Aid (Free Book Download)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:50:50 PM »
+1 great post
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 03:15:16 PM »
I'm supposed to have this class this weekend but had to back out because of a SAN installation at work (Took 2 months to get everything scheduled).  I'm bummed. 

Unfortunately, I need to pull the link until I verify if this is allowed.  According the Red-cross this book is not free for distribution.   If I determine that it is, I'll put the link back in.  (If you can produce documentation that this is free for distribution that would help).

Thanks

Doc
Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 03:31:27 PM »
I checked with the Red Cross and this book is under copyright and not available for distribution (Only for sale).  Therefore the links to both PDF and flash versions of the book are copyright violations and they cannot be hosted on TSP.   As much as we would love to have this information available. It is against TOS policy and against the law.   

Sorry

Doc

Docwatmo

Offline Mental Arson

• Prepper
  • Live as people determined to be free.
    • MentalArson.com
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 05:00:35 PM »
Bummer. Thank you for checking...I first found it here so I made some assumptions.

http://faculty.deanza.edu/donahuemary/stories/storyReader$4067

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." -Samuel Adams

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »
No problem, just got to keep things above board.   Wish it was free, Its going to cost me $70  :o
Docwatmo

Offline DrBonesandNurseAmy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 12:08:22 AM »
The trouble with first aid books, even in remote environments, is that they end most chapters with "and get to the doctor or the hospital asap".  But what if there isn't a modern medical facility available at all when the SHTF?  Our survival medicine handbook assumes that YOU are the highest medical resource left, and tells you what to do in plain English.  It's available on Amazon under "survival medicine handbook" and has been #1 in the categories of survival skills and safety/first aid off and on the last few months. 

Note to moderator:  If this is too much self-promotion, I understand if you don't okay this post.

Joe Alton, M.D. aka Dr. Bones

Offline Azaezel

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 12:21:05 PM »
If anyone is interested in instructor led wilderness medic/first responder classes, consider Sigma 3. They have a full range of other self reliance related classes as well.

Offline Garandman

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 04:10:38 PM »
The trouble with first aid books, even in remote environments, is that they end most chapters with "and get to the doctor or the hospital asap".  But what if there isn't a modern medical facility available at all when the SHTF?  //
Wilderness medicine assumes that a doctor or health care facility is not nearby.

"Wilderness First Aid" courses are generally two to three days and a good start. "Wilderness First Responder" is required to lead trips and is much more comprehensive.

Many organizations like the Appalachian Mountain Club sponsor the courses. They are usually taught by one of the professional wilderness medical outfits. In the Northeast the two primary ones are SOLO Schools and Wilderness Medical Associates. I have no affiliation with either.

http://www.wildmed.com/

http://www.soloschools.com/

Offline pgosnell

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 09:24:51 AM »
I am a Red Cross, ECSI, NSC & ASHI First Aid, Advanced Wilderness FA, etc. Instructor. I hate that I can't hand out or give electronic file of this stuff....BUT! I am a PDF fein...if you will Google "Military First Aid/Medic Manuals", you will find all kinds of good stuff. Here is the Army's First Aid Manual. You can also buy these for like $8 at your local Army Surplus.

FM 4-25.11 Army First Aid
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/army/fm4_25x11.pdf

Offline bryanyoung

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 08:44:29 AM »
Having just finished a NOLS Wilderness First Aid course, I can highly recommend it.  If you're truly preparing for the complete failure of the medical system though, it is a start but inadequate. It's the second time I've taken it, and though I learned (and refreshed) a lot, I left feeling still ill prepared even in a backcountry scenario.  It's just jam packed with first aid and scenarios.  It's a first step, as Garandman says.

I'm considering the 80 hour Wilderness First Responder course in the spring.