Author Topic: Pepper spray for minors?  (Read 10817 times)

Offline Eagles mom

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Pepper spray for minors?
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:27:26 AM »
Do your children carry pepper spray, and if so, at what age do you think it is appropriate?  Most states do not have an age restriction--or an restrictions--on pepper spray.  The most common restriction is age, so what do you think? 

Offline Warpalli

• Prepper
  • Don't Taze Me Bro!!!
Re: Pepper spray for minors?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 03:23:54 PM »
I don't have kids, however i would say it's not much of an age question as it is a maturity question.  I have a 14 year old niece that's starting to "Blossom" for sake of a better term,  I've had the "Let's talk while i clean my shotgun" talk with her Boyfriend, but I've been thinking about getting her a can of it lately as she often out after dark with her friends at the skating rink or whatnot.  One of the drawbacks, is if they go to public school, i believe there is a "Zero Tolerance" law on basically anything that can cause bodily harm to someone else, to answer your question I'd say sometime around 14-15 with a general "This is not a toy" talk would be acceptable.

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:02:32 PM »
My 16 YO daughter carries a kimber pepper spray gun thingy about everywhere.  She is a long distance runner and works at a fast food joint (that just got robbed at gunpoint  :P).  She does not take it to school, or to school activities.

I asked the local law enforcement about any issues with her having pepper spray.  Their only issue was her using it in an offensive mode.  They will put the legal screws to your kid if they use it to attack someone, but they will support its use in defense.  The were also very concerned at my question since they immediately though she must have a specific person or group that she is afraid was going to attack her (which she did not).

So, the best answer is the one already give that you have to judge your kids maturity level vs. the relative risk of their activities.

Offline Eagles mom

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:34:38 AM »
Thanks for your input.  Our state laws are really restrictive, but if I had a daughter, she would not leave the house without it.  We have lots of "no guns" signs, but not any "no pepper spray" signs.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 11:49:39 AM »
I got Ruger pepper spray for my 16-yo daughter.  She is homeschooled so there is no issue with government school crackdown on weapons.  She carries to basketball practice, games, study groups, when she runs, etc.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 11:56:20 AM »
I'd rather face charges, or have my 16 year old daughter face charges, than have her raped or murdered.
It only becomes an issue if it's used/discovered.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:55:05 PM »
I agree with the maturity issue. As for where/when to carry, this is a calculated risk unfortunately.   I also fall into the category of "would rather face legal charges than hospital charges" for myself and my loved ones. Fortunately, there is a pepper spray that is really effective and doesn't scream "hey I'm pepper spray" to either bad guys, or medelsome teachers, or school officials. Its called the Key Defender and its made by ASPn the same people who make the expanding batons for police. It looks like a standard kuboton externally and the pepper srpay comes out a hole in the business end. The trigger is a plunger in the other end and has a positive almost fool proof saftey. I say almost fool proof becaue I accidentally left my keys in a gas station one day when I was getting a ride to work (the fact that I wasn't driving is important because if I had been driving, I wouldn't have left my keys with it on it at the gas station.) When I figured out where the keys were, I called the station and the clerk was a bit upset because he had played with it and released the spray and cleared his store out for about an hour.
    The great thing about this configuration is that it has a key ring on one end, this helps ensure that you have the spray in your hand when you might need it. It also allows it to double as a flail and a pommel striking device. Since it is a kuboton, it can theoretically be used as a pressure point and joint manipulation device though I think the pepper spray is usually more effective. It comes in multiple colors, textures and sizes. And another really great thing about this is that its not one time use, the kuboton unscrews from both ends and refills are available. Even cooler is that they also sell a pressurized water version for use as a training cartridge. It may not be the absolute best for everyone and all situations, but it is a hard to beat option for a low profile, effective and ergonomic method of carrying pepper spray for minors. You can find it online and usually at gun shops and law enforcement supply stores. Hope this helps.