Author Topic: Lights Out by Halffast - Free PDF Book  (Read 140570 times)

Offline Wrangell

• Prepper
Re: Lights Out by Halffast - Free PDF Book
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2011, 08:25:10 PM »
David does a very good job with this piece of writing. While not the best PA novel I have read so far, it would rank in the top 3 on my list. Purchased my Kindle copy a few weeks ago from Amazon. Well worth the $7.99 price tag.

There are a lot of character's in this novel but not too many that you have to try and remember who is who and where they fit in. The editing was pretty good as there were some typos scattered throughout but I would imagine that since this book was so readily available in the PDF format that David probably got a lot of help from some of his readers in that sense. There are some books that I have read on Amazon's Kindle that are Free and most of the authors are more than happy to get feedback from their readers regarding typos.

I would have to say that all in all the author does a very good job of creating a story that is not too far fetched from realization after a disaster such as an EMP burst.

Before even finishing this book I found myself looking forward to his next book. Also would like to say Thanks to David and all those here that got this book the recognition that it so rightly deserves.

Offline Griz

• Prepper
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2011, 06:05:56 PM »
Just ordered the hard copy, seems like alot of pages (600+?). 

Does anyone have any suggestions for any other books to get for my "Survivalist" library?

So far just have Crisis Preparedness Handbook by Jack Spigarelli.

Thanks for the info!

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2011, 06:24:35 PM »
Just ordered the hard copy, seems like alot of pages (600+?). 

Does anyone have any suggestions for any other books to get for my "Survivalist" library?/quote]

Don't be fooled by the number of pages.  I found it to be quick read, partly because I couldn't put it down, but also due to the way it is written. 

As to your library, the list could be extensive.  I like good fiction, but for prepping, there are so many good reference books out there on a variety of subjects.  There is a good "Book List" tab on TSP web page and it is a great place to start.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran

Offline TNDadx4

• Survivor
  • Country roads, take me home To the place I belong.
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2011, 07:52:13 PM »
Just arrived! Thanks David! What a cool addition to my library.

Offline Jloch76

• Prepper
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2011, 09:35:41 PM »
Downloaded "Lights Out" to my kindle.  What a great book!  Great story, lots of detail.  still holds your attention all the way through.  I'm ordering a hard copy to keep on the shelf!

Offline Griz

• Prepper
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2011, 08:46:22 PM »
Just got book last night, starting reading about 100 pages in one sitting.  Very good read!!

Offline TNDadx4

• Survivor
  • Country roads, take me home To the place I belong.
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2011, 10:02:04 AM »
Alas Babylon by Pat Frank and Patriots by James Wesley Rawles are cool and are available on Amazon for a good price.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2011, 01:41:41 PM »
I got my book just a few night ago after listening to the podcast, I'm over halfway through a huge book...very easy to read and follow and hard to put down. I can't stand reading books online or on a computer screen I prefer to feel the book and the essence that they are...glad to find it in book form and I plan on passing it on to my friends who just don't understand "what I'm doing storing all that food"

Offline Sulla

• Prepper
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2011, 06:37:15 PM »
I bought the Kindle edition of the book after hearing about it on the podcast (despite the fact that I also have the PDF version on one of my computers somewhere). I couldn't stop reading it and thought it was an incredible read. I have since purchased two printed editions and have given them to friends to read. It was well worth the investment and leaves me wanting more.

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2011, 06:56:05 PM »
I agree I finished it last week. Got with the kindle PC. I'm just finishing up the Patriot

Offline Halffast

• Prepper
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2011, 09:56:03 AM »
Thanks to you all for your kind words and support.  And another huge thanks to Jack for having me on the show.

David

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2011, 09:51:58 AM »
This is a great read.  I got the book a couple weeks ago and just finished it the other night.  I'll be handing this off to a couple friends who need a little push to restart their prepping.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »
Best of the genre David!  Excellent job on the book, I first read parts of it on PDF years ago.  It is great to finally hold it in my hands.  Congrats!

Offline Serenity Gulch

• Survivor
    • Serenity Gulch Farm
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2011, 09:53:58 AM »
I'm probably one of the few people who were not aware this book existed until after hearing about it on Jack's podcast. I placed my order last week and received it yesterday. I sat down around 8:30 last night after putting the kids to bed and started reading, next time I looked at the clock it was 2am! Talk about being pulled into a story! I may have to put the kids to bed right after supper tonight so I can have more time to read.  ;D
Sherri

Offline AceHi

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »
I have been a fan of this book for quite a while and have probably read it 6-8 times over the years.  I ordered the book primarily so I could share it with others who don't like reading the PDF and I am very interested in getting the audio version (probably the only way I'll get my wife to experience it).

Does anyone know if the audio book is available or when it is expected to be?

Offline sylvan

• Prepper
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2012, 07:30:19 AM »
Well, I am probably the last active member of this forum to begin reading this book.   ::)

I'm on Chapter 10 and I have to say, so far, it seems much more realistic than other books I have read in the same category.  Although, I really enjoyed Patriots and Survivors.  I didn't have the same issues with characters popping in and out as some others did. 

I can't wait to see what following chapters have in store.   ;D

Offline ellefsonbooks

• Prepper
  • Prepper
    • Benjamin Ellefson author website
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2015, 06:57:01 PM »
Love this book!

My all time favorite prepper themed book.  Read the PDF years ago.  Loved it so much I bought the paperback when it came out.