Photobucket

Author Topic: Winters of 2012, 2013, 2014 Could be Frigid  (Read 3742 times)

Offline womule

• Survivalist Mentor
Winters of 2012, 2013, 2014 Could be Frigid
« on: July 23, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/combination-of-factors-could-m/36990#.UA1E_vS3ejA.facebook

i wouldnt consider this to be news, so thats why i put it here.  its more of a forewarning for our prepping.

"AccuWeather.com Long Range Expert Joe Bastardi believes there is a significant chance for particularly frigid winters in 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 into 2014-2015.

Bastardi said these winters could be similar to winters of the late 1970s.

He said, "While the most consistent of the cold is to the north, severe bouts of cold deep into Texas and Florida would be capable of affecting agriculture more so than we've seen in that last 20 years or so."

A combination of factors that parallel the precursors to historically cold winters is leading Bastardi to this forecast.

He said, "We have a cold Pacific now. We had a La Nina, El Nino, then a stronger La Nina [similar to the cycle] that happened in the early to mid '70s that set up the winters of the late '70s."

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Winters of 2012, 2013, 2014 Could be Frigid
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 06:45:28 PM »
Thanks for the post womule. Sounds like now would be a good time to pick up some extra winter stuff if I can find it since I'm thinking about working in North Dakota this winter. :o
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown

Offline womule

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »
Thanks for the post womule. Sounds like now would be a good time to pick up some extra winter stuff if I can find it since I'm thinking about working in North Dakota this winter. :o

since you are going to ND, you will want cold weather equipment anyway.  so if youre planning on getting a -5F sleeping bag you may want to up the antee and get a -25F lol

what takes you to ND?  jobs?  cause i hear there are lots of good opporitunites there right now

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:14:44 PM »
Maybe we'll get snow this year then. We had a blizzard here in Indiana in '78 that buried people's houses. Since we heat our house with wood, family tends to congregate here before big storms. Guess I better stock up (more) in case I get a houseful for the winter.
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:49:40 PM »
This is good information to have. Thanks, womule!

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »
Maybe we'll get snow this year then. We had a blizzard here in Indiana in '78 that buried people's houses. Since we heat our house with wood, family tends to congregate here before big storms. Guess I better stock up (more) in case I get a houseful for the winter.

A house full of people stays warmer without extra wood

Offline Crusher13

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:00:10 PM »
since you are going to ND, you will want cold weather equipment anyway.  so if youre planning on getting a -5F sleeping bag you may want to up the antee and get a -25F lol

what takes you to ND?  jobs?  cause i hear there are lots of good opporitunites there right now

There are lots of jobs up here in ND just no housing. So up that sleeping bag to -40.

Offline snickers

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:11:41 PM »
Guess I better stock up (more) in case I get a houseful for the winter.

;D

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 01:04:57 AM »
Yup. Going up there to work for awhile. Should be leaving this week so better get some shopping done. Grew up in SE Montana so I have some idea about winters there. Should be my last great adventure unless the SHTF goes up then who knows.

Back to this thread, if you need winter clothes or supplies, now is the time (summer) to get them. The years I've been watching the weather it seems we always get about the same amount of moisture each year. So, if we have a dry summer we'll make it up this winter or so it seems.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 07:17:18 AM »
It sure wouldn't surprise me if we did.  For the last year it seems most of my focus has been on getting ready for winter.  I want even more firewood.  Have been beefing up the animal housing.  Telling hubby we got to get ready BEFORE winter hits.  We could get snow by Oct.  He looks at me like I am crazy.    Ok maybe so but still it's happened before and I just have this gut feeling we are due.  What the heck it will happen again so get ready now then it's done.   And no I wont sell my 4x4 vitara!  In fact got studded tires for it the end of last yr.  First time ever I felt the need for studded or even snow tires.  Maybe this is what is adding to my feeling of urgency.?
There is no $50 job that I can't do without a $100 worth of new tools.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 07:25:04 AM »
I knew it had to be way too good to last to experience such a lght winter this past time around. We barely got out the shovel but 2 or 3 times all winter, and I live in Massachusetts!

I remember those winters back in the 1970's. Miserable times.

Ah, life...
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 08:28:11 AM »
Long Range Expert Joe Bastardi

*Snicker*  Bastardi?  Really?  That guy must have been MISERABLE in Jr. High & Highschool.

But putting my inner 12 year old aside for a moment--We were planning on buying our pellets for the pellet stove soon (summer prices and all) but I guess Hubs and I better not base our purchase on last years usage--maybe half again as much?  And make sure we've got the alternate source of heat thing down?  I've been thinking that an indoor propane portable heater might be worthwhile.
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 09:03:11 AM »
All I can say is ... I hope so. There are pleanty of ways to get warm, be warm, and advantages to very cold weather. In hot, humid summer heat you just can not take enough off even to sleep well at night.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
...In hot, humid summer heat you just can not take enough off even to sleep well at night.
This is why A/C was invented.  ;)

I will take over 100 before below freezing any day.

Even we had winter in the 70s. At least one big ice storm in February every year. This last year we missed out on winter all together.

It has been a much cooler summer so far than ususal. Only a very few days over 100 so far, so I won't be too surprised if Mr. Bastardi is right.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline baygal

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 11:12:44 AM »
This is why A/C was invented.  ;)

Yeah, that's great as long as you have a way to keep your A/C going. We rent and our A/C compressor went out last year just when the hottest days were rolling around. I went a whole week (hubby was lucky enough to be away on business) sleeping in 95+ heat before the unit got fixed. I did have the options to sleep in the basement to get some relief or go to a friend's house or hotel, though.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »
Yeah, that's great as long as you have a way to keep your A/C going. We rent and our A/C compressor went out last year just when the hottest days were rolling around. I went a whole week (hubby was lucky enough to be away on business) sleeping in 95+ heat before the unit got fixed. I did have the options to sleep in the basement to get some relief or go to a friend's house or hotel, though.
Yep. Not to mention the expense. As far as off the grid goes you will have to have a big solar setup to generate enough watts/amps to run even a minimal a/c.

Spent a year and a half in Alaska and worked a whole winter outside in -60 F.  I'll take cool falls and cold winters any day.

In Alaska most outdoor work stops in fall and doesn't start again until the spring.  In Southeast Texas I don't know anyone who works on their car or does anything else outside unless they absolutely have to from June until October.

"Frigid" winters in Texas would be a cakewlk as far as I am concerned; the icing on the cake would be 80 deg F and or somewhat less humid summers.

Offline GardenLady

• Prepper
  • Permaculture Buff
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 03:02:41 PM »
It looks like the news item is from Sept 2010? Is that correct?
1.1 Californian Rabbits + 0.2 New Zealands + 1.1 SilverFox Rabbits = Happy Veggie Garden Plants!!

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 12:16:31 PM »
A house full of people stays warmer without extra wood

AND....even warmer with a good stock of beans.. :rofl:
SwagBucks This program will let you get Amazon gift cards free, just for using their search engine. I paid for my X-mas with it!

"The Hen House"

Offline Saint

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bury it and bury the shovel.
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 12:25:52 PM »
co-worker is an "amateur" meteorologist (defense contracting pays better) and he said accu weather is normally very good, but for the eastern seaboard at least, the atlantic temps will have to really start coming down to see those numbers. Right now the water is too warm to see a frigid winter this year.
"Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious."
-George Orwell
"Any Society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will gain neither and lose both"
-Ben Franklin
Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof

Offline carbon

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
    • The Resilient Child Book Project
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 11:11:18 PM »
Thanks for sharing this womule. It is timely in that it is news from 2010 forecasting the winter for 2012 to 2014. I passed the info to some preppers in my area. Hopefully we all take it seriously and adjust our scheduled purchases/preps.
I am working on a children's book on self-reliance  as part of my walk to freedom. Please check it out at:
www.theresilientchildbookproject.wordpress.com

Offline SheepdogSurvival

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »
Cool, thanks for posting. I love the winter but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Anyone could practically be a weather man just make an educated guess...
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
- SAMUEL ADAMS