Author Topic: Alternate Uses for my EDC Stungun  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Warpalli

• Prepper
  • Don't Taze Me Bro!!!
Alternate Uses for my EDC Stungun
« on: July 24, 2012, 04:11:29 PM »
Today i learned another valuable reason to carry my stun-gun.  I misplaced my EDC Bic Lighter (I think it fell off my EDC pocket chain)  and i smoke, I was at work and although i had one in the car, it was all the way on the other side of the building.  So on a whim, i decided to attempt to light a smoke w/ the stun-gun. Apparently the arc on the stun-gun WILL light cigarettes, so i figure if it'll light a cigarette it'll light paper or any other types of burnable material.   Just thought i might note this, it makes a good back up lighter/firestarter.  I'm wondering what happens if i zap a piece of steel wool.
"Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Alternate Uses for my EDC Stungun
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 07:51:17 PM »
If you do, hold the steel wool with insulated handled pliers.  :o
With all the new and different mistakes out there waiting to be made, why keep repeating the same ones?

http://www.extension.org/

I just don't let preconceptions get in the way of doing what needs to be done.

Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, nihil deerit
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »
If you do, hold the steel wool with insulated handled pliers.  :o
ahh you spoiled all the fun..
reminds me of this story:
http://darwinawards.com/legends/legends2007-01.html

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 07:45:12 AM »
No fun if I can't watch.
With all the new and different mistakes out there waiting to be made, why keep repeating the same ones?

http://www.extension.org/

I just don't let preconceptions get in the way of doing what needs to be done.

Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, nihil deerit
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Warpalli

• Prepper
  • Don't Taze Me Bro!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:03:15 AM »
"Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 09:46:49 PM »
The funniness of the darwin award aside, I bought a stungun in high school. My friends and I passed it around and shocked ourselves with it while we were drinking repeatedly. Never each other, just ourselves. Mine used a 9v and I don't remeber the stated output, but we never had anything like this guys experience. It stung, and we always jerked the thing away from our leg or arm pretty quickly. It stung enough not to want try a long zap, but never saw god like this guy did. Thanks for the tip on firestarting though. I will remeber that.
Man's mind is his basic tool of survival.
Fear is the mind killer.

Two rules for a happy life:
1. Never sling shit at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is slinging shit at an armed man.

Offline ag2

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Been fishin' lately?
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 11:00:35 PM »
Tears from laughing so hard!
Mild-mannered beans, bullion, band aids, bullets prepper cautiously watching history repeat itself.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 02:22:10 PM »
Does your stun gun have two prongs and carry a residual charge?  There is a Black Cobra J-911 stun gun in each of our vehicles, as well as one in the vet box and one in the first aid kit for the sole purpose of neutralizing poisonous spider/snake bites. Now main stream medical says that stun gun treatment is not substantiated, but I know first hand by personal experience that it does indeed work. 

I was bitten on the inside of my arm by a black widow spider while carrying fruit crates from the barn (yeah, I know, I should have checked under the edges of the crates first, vs seeing the spider after the fact). But what started out as a little sting developed into nauseating pain and red streaks going up to my shoulder and down to my wrist within 30 minutes.  Now I could have followed the advice of main stream medicine and gone straight to the ER, where chances are I would end up sitting in the waiting room for an hour (typical wait) and then in the back for another couple of hours while the docs would try to figure out the best course of action, insisting on morphine to help with the pain in the meantime (I use to work in ER, so I know the drill).  But instead.....

...a prepper friend of mine came to the rescue with his little Black Cobra stun gun.  He turned it on, zapped it in the air, then shut it right back off.  Then he positioned the prongs on my arm on either side of the bite and as soon as the prongs touched the skin, it discharged the little residual charge that remained.  It felt like someone just slid their feet across carpet and then zapped me with the static electricity. He repeated the turn-on/air zap/shut-off/residual discharge process about a half dozen times, each time discharging the residual charge on either side of the bite, going in a circle all around it.  Within an hour, the streaks had visibly diminished, the pain was noticeably less and I was no longer sick to my stomach.  The next morning there was no pain, no streaks, just two tiny, tiny holes from the bite...and it itched. And by the following day, there was no sign of a bite whatsoever. That was it.  I have had the unfortunate opportunity to personally test it again, but this time with a brown recluse bite.  Again, by the next day it was like I had never even been bitten.     

Now as I said before, main stream medical says that stun gun treatment is not substantiated, but it has been proven that on me it does work. And as such, we will never be without one. I can't say the same for the main stream medical treatment.

Just remember (and this is MOST IMPORTANT), if you are going to get a stun gun for this purpose, it must be one that has prongs and be able to hold a residual charge.  The Black Cobra J-911 is our stun gun of choice.  Holds a nice residual charge and fits comfortably in the hand just in case you actually want to use it for protection purposes as well.  :)     http://www.protectiondepot.com/Black-Cobra-150kV-Stun-Gun_p_1103.html
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 03:54:21 PM »
Hmmm, probably not going to be using this method of treatment for a spider bite. Nice to know its there. I have heard of it before. Like as not you would have gotten better without it. Though world wide, widows kill more people than any other spider type, the overall fatality rate from them is quite low. This doesn't mean not to seek medical treatment, go to the doctor and quickly too. The most threatening aspect of any spider or insect bite wether it is venomous or not is anaphalaxis, or alergic reaction, rather than the venom itself. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 07:38:21 PM »
Didn't say anyone else had to. ;)  Nor did I say that either of the bites would have killed me otherwise, or that they wouldn't have eventually healed up on their own (minus the pound of flesh). Keep in mind that I have personally seen the extensive necrosis (rotting flesh) caused by recluse spider bites, with the reason the damage is so great being that the bite of a BR is actually more venomous and more necrotic than that of a rattlesnake, although the amount a spider can deliver at one go is less. Google "brown recluse spider bite" and click on Images to see what damage one little bite from a recluse can do. My neighbor, who took the ER route when he was bitten a few years ago, now has a dip in his leg you can put your fist in. He didn't know about using a stun gun then, otherwise I'm sure he would have used it as he now carries one just for that purpose.  Bottom line is, I'm simply not willing to take the risk of going through life with a huge chunk of my flesh missing when it can so easily be prevented.  And as the subject is "Alternate Uses for my EDC Stungun", I was simply relaying MY alternate use for a stun gun, and which type to get should anyone else elect to go that route....again, not saying or indicating that anyone else has to or should do the same.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 08:56:39 PM »
LibertyBelle,
   I meant no offense. I wasn't trouncing your suggestion. And in its defense, if I had nothing else, I would probably give myself a good dose. I have seen the recluse bite pictures, so I'll forego seeing them again. They can be really bad. A very good reason to learn how to treat them as part of your preps. Wouldn't take long for one of those to become a serious problem.  Heck, who knows maybe it does work. The fda doesn't recognize eugenol (clove oil as effective against tooth pain, but they did at one time. And it works. Maybe not for all tooth pain, but in know it works for dry socket. (So does biting an olive into the socket, not very well but helps some) its more effective than lortab for me. And doesn't make it numb or make me dopey. And you will probably find clove oil in many old medicine books as being good for tooth pain.
  Again, no offense meant. I've heard of it before. I just don't understand how it would work. Doesn't mean it won't or doesn't, I don't know how cyanide works, but would kill me just the same. I may look into it and see if I can find something on the how and why.
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 01:52:45 AM »
That's ok. And I'm sorry if I seemed a bit testy the other day (nature of the beast, LOL).  I totally agree with the clove oil.  My mom once used it on me when I had a couple of perm teeth pulled as a kid. There was nothing wrong with the teeth themselves, just that I had permanent teeth coming up behind each other. The dentist said my mouth just wasn't big enough...he obviously didn't know me very well ;D.   Although I didn't know about the olive, so will put that info in my files, just in case. Thanks. :)