Author Topic: Creative Use for a Toxic Asset - Motorcycle  (Read 1467 times)

Offline CovertPrepper67

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Creative Use for a Toxic Asset - Motorcycle
« on: August 02, 2012, 07:31:55 AM »
Hello fellow TSP'ers,

I have been turning the gears in my head trying to find a creative use for an old motorcycle. I go the bike as a learner but have since moved on to a larger newer bike. Since then I have been trying to find a way to get rid of the bike in a useful way. I have done the traditional listings on cragslist, ebay, etc but due to the age it is simply too outdated. Since the selling method failed, I have been trying to think of a way to unload the bike and get something out of it.

So if anyone has a creative idea for getting rid of this motorcycle please reply and let me know what you've come up with.

If all else fails there is putting it on the curb for the trash men.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks CP67

Just for completeness the bike is a 1994 Yamaha FZR600, it's a classic 90's crotch rocket.

Offline Melting

• Prepper
Re: Creative Use for a Toxic Asset - Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 06:33:31 AM »
Assuming it is in running condition, it should bring a decent price as a motorcycle. I looked specifically for this model on the used market for about 6 months and they were hard to find, the one i did find was in very poor condition and still priced at $3800. If you price it right and itnis in decent shape, someone will buy it. Wait til gas prices go above 4$ a gallon and itbshould go fast.
If i hadnt finally pulled the trigger on a deal last month i would be interested. Good luck.

Offline CovertPrepper67

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 06:40:08 AM »
Melting,

I saw those listings on ebay as well. I had mine listed at $1000 because its running great but looks like hell and didn't get any takers. I have thought about waiting for $4 gas again but that means another year of property taxes on it. I'll keep it in mind though, thanks

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:18:18 AM »
Melting,

I saw those listings on ebay as well. I had mine listed at $1000 because its running great but looks like hell and didn't get any takers. I have thought about waiting for $4 gas again but that means another year of property taxes on it. I'll keep it in mind though, thanks
If there's that big of a price difference based only on appearance and it still runs good, I'd be strongly considering putting $500 into parts (and possibly a paint job as well). Hate to sink more money into it, but you're legitimately talking about tripling your asking price...
Either that or advertise specifically to somebody knows how to do this work. Not too many motorcycle mechanics out there, but I can't see too many of them passing up a few grand for something they do every day.