Author Topic: Migraines... need help  (Read 7444 times)

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
Migraines... need help
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:49:58 AM »
Dr. Christensen,

I should first say that I am a physician (MD) trained as an allopath, but with strong interest in complimentary/alternative medicine (alternative to allopathic medicine, that is). I was tempted to send you a PM, but I thought that would seem that I am hiding that fact I am asking for you opinion. My goal in going to medical school was to be trained as an MD and then incorporate other, more natural/healthy/traditional/alternative modes of care into my practice. This is difficult as a military physician, but I'm working on it, little steps at a time, and reading as much as I can. Maybe this post will/can help others as well.

With that said, I would love to pick your brain a bit on migraine care. My wife has been struggling with migraines since delivering our last child just over a year ago. The migraines occur from day one of her menstrual cycle to ovulation. We thought they would settle down as her body got out of baby-mode, but it has not. She is now stuck with almost debilitating headaches half the month, better in the morning, but worse as the day goes on. As soon as ovulation occurs, the headaches vanish entirely until the next month. She tries to avoid all meds if she can, but usually ends up taking caffeine (sodas), Tylenol, and/or Motrin, and occasionally something stronger, like Percocet, when she is almost in tears. My wife is a tough woman who played Division 1 college basketball, but these headaches are breaking her.

I was looking at feverfew, butterbur, magnesium, riboflavin (B2), and Co Q10. I would love your opinion and recommendations. I will be happy to answer any questions you have. As these headaches are completely gone half the month, I cannot think of any other lifestyle changes to make.

Thanks!
Doc K
John Kitsteiner, MD

Offline herbdoc

• Prepper
Re: Migraines... need help
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:32:11 PM »
Dr. K,

Thanks for your candor and question.  Migraine Headache are very often triggered, as in the case of your wife, with hormones.  This type of migraine does not respond readily with your standard herbal migraine products such as feverfew.  What I have had success with is trying to balance the hormonal system with herbs such as black cohosh, dong quai, etc.  I have a product that we've put together called Female Balance Formula (Western Botanicals).  I would begin with this product as it helps to build, tone and strengthen the female hormonal system.  I would also eliminate soy products from her diet as the sterols in soy can push women with estrogen dominance.  Sometimes I will recommend a progesterone product (I use once called Progest-E - 2 drops orally per day), but I first give the female balance a month and that usually does the trick.

Occasionally, someone may develop an actual allergy response to the hormones.  In this case I do an allergy elimination type treatment.  Basically, balancing the acupuncture meridian while the person holds on to or is mildly exposed to the allergen.  I teach classes to my patients on doing this allergy treatment, as so many people suffer from allergies and we get great results using this technique.

So I would try the Female Balance first and then go from there.

If you have further questions you can email me at kylesinthegarden@gmail.com

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 12:38:38 AM »
Probably the strongest single trigger and greatest facilitator of migraines is dietary MSG.

Eliminate it entirely. That will require some ruthless determination because it's everywhere and it's very addictive.

Aside from the additive-MSG that is used to "improve" so many foods, some foods (such as tomatoes) have a fairly high natural content.

Any food with "hydrolysed vegetable protein" or "natural flavors" is probably dosed with MSG. That's one of the standard tricks to avoid admitting the content.

Read up on MSG intensively. It's no exaggeration to say that it's literally a deadly poison.

It actually magnifies any natural tendency to migraines, as well as inducing them directly.

Years ago I had to find the cause of almost daily crippling migraines my daughter had begun to suffer. I found out her diet had recently changed to include a lot of junk food loaded with MSG.

When MSG was eliminated from her diet, the migraines stopped within two weeks.

Now, whenever she gets a migraine I know she's been out chomping on junk food.

It doesn't happen often, but MSG is horribly addictive. Even a trace amount accidentally concumed can fire up the "Eat More MSG" cravings, and then it's migraine time again.

Aspertame should be eliminated also. The two work together like arenic and cyanide.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Offline Doc K

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 06:04:07 AM »
Dr. K,

Thanks for your candor and question... 

...So I would try the Female Balance first and then go from there.

Thank you very much. I'll be ordering some today! I'll post back here and let you know how it goes.

Doc K

Offline Doc K

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 06:09:14 AM »
Probably the strongest single trigger and greatest facilitator of migraines is dietary MSG.

Eliminate it entirely. That will require some ruthless determination because it's everywhere and it's very addictive.

Aside from the additive-MSG that is used to "improve" so many foods, some foods (such as tomatoes) have a fairly high natural content.

Any food with "hydrolysed vegetable protein" or "natural flavors" is probably dosed with MSG. That's one of the standard tricks to avoid admitting the content.

Read up on MSG intensively. It's no exaggeration to say that it's literally a deadly poison.

It actually magnifies any natural tendency to migraines, as well as inducing them directly.

Years ago I had to find the cause of almost daily crippling migraines my daughter had begun to suffer. I found out her diet had recently changed to include a lot of junk food loaded with MSG.

When MSG was eliminated from her diet, the migraines stopped within two weeks.

Now, whenever she gets a migraine I know she's been out chomping on junk food.

It doesn't happen often, but MSG is horribly addictive. Even a trace amount accidentally concumed can fire up the "Eat More MSG" cravings, and then it's migraine time again.

Aspertame should be eliminated also. The two work together like arenic and cyanide.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

I'm an avid reader of ingredients. We don't eat MSG at all. We don't eat much of anything out of a box, in fact. We eat "real" foods as much as possible, which is pretty much most of the time.

Thanks for the information. Hopefully it can help others as well.

Doc K

Offline Doc K

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 07:59:59 AM »
Just wanted to give an update, since I said I would...

We did trial the Female Balance Formula for almost a month - no significant changes... we were going to work on some hormonal therapies, but then my wife became pregnant, so that stopped the headaches (and the trials).

Thanks for the information!

Doc K

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 08:15:19 AM »
Well now that is one way to stop the migraines LOL Congrats on both!   Leave it to a very carrying husband to do what it takes to solve the problems his wife is having.  Good job ;)   Will keep my fingers crossed that this one reverses things and the headaches don't come back. 

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 10:15:27 AM »
Congratulations!!! And glad to hear the migraines have stopped, too.  :)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 11:54:19 AM »
Best of luck to you, Doc. I hope the pregnancy is easy and that the migraines stay away after the birth of your child!

LC

Offline Doc K

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 08:08:25 AM »

Thanks! You guys are great!

Now we are just dealing with pretty bad morning sickness!

Actually, I'd love to hear any recommendations for this as well. My wife has nausea and dry heaving most of the day, most every day.  Any thoughts?

Doc K

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 10:31:28 PM »
I've personally never had it. Not even one episode, and I've been pregnant six times.  But my niece always has a rough go of it with each of hers, and she said that ginger (both suckers/lolly pops and in tea) is what really helps her.  BTW, she and her hubby are expecting their forth to arrive any time now (I'm betting on the 11th) . ;D

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 12:55:03 PM »
My daughter-in-law had great relief with this: http://kellylott.com/shop/topic/12-migraine-miracle-.aspx