Author Topic: 299 Days: A realistic view of what could and probably will come  (Read 47749 times)

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
Re: 299 Days: A realistic view of what could and probably will come
« Reply #300 on: October 30, 2012, 12:42:36 AM »
I lent book 1 to my BIL, and he has been slowly working through it.  A lot of it was stuff he was partly aware of, he has some prepper/country boy in him, but the part about just-in-time inventory was an eye-opener.  We were talking about it at work today, and it seems to have lit a fire under him to start preparing a bit.  He picked up some .223 ammo, a bag of rice, a bag of beans (before we really talked about this), and is planning on getting some propane to store at his house.  I was telling him to look into an inverter, then he could run his oven off the natural gas grid and the electric pilot would work.  I am just trying to keep him calm, he was talking about putting a shotgun and a pistol on his credit card.  He said if he needs them, it won't matter anyway  ::) .  I pointed out that if "they" manage to hold it together another 5-8 years, you're screwed in the meantime.  A soft sell, but it seemed to get the point across.  But the door is fully open now, and this will become a regular conversation, that's how we are.  And he is planning a huge expansion of his garden for the spring :D

Good stuff G, I can't wait until he hits book 2.  I'm pretty sure we are going to be doing more firearms training too.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

SmartLikeTruck

« Reply #301 on: October 30, 2012, 01:51:19 AM »
Got a glowing review from Lord Bison aka James M Dakin, wanted to read 'em, now gotta read em  :)

I could go on and on about all the crap I hated in this novel.  The love affair with Crap Carbines.  The lack of food ( sure, it was 9 months worth, but that ain’t crap come SHTF.  And, not only was it a mere fraction of the guns money wise, he got at least a third of it AFTER stuff started falling apart ).  The testicle crushing non-prepping wife.  Etc.  But like I said, once you just accept this is what normal people are like ( not us cool, special Loyal Minions ), you can just enjoy the story, which is quite good.  Perhaps I’ve lowered the bar, but the doomer novel universe is not know for its outstanding authors as a rule, and to me this was a talented author.  If you can get me to enjoy a story even as I’m screaming at the characters for being dumb-asses and not deserving to live, you’ve done a good job.

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.ca/2012/10/299-days.html

Offline johnauck

• Prepper
« Reply #302 on: October 30, 2012, 05:28:02 AM »
I got both books pretty much the day they were released for the Kindle. My wife loved them and devoured them in less than 2 days. Her response after finishing them was 'when can I get #3 and #4?'. I has not turned her into a full-on prepper but at least she appreciates why I am storing food away now. We are in Australia, so we are probably no where near the funk that the USA is in at the moment.

The characters were great, I particularly liked the young dudes in 'the team'. It nearly brought tears to my eyes how they handled their first real situation. This is where I think the narrative shines.

I was a bit disappointed with the partisan politics. The author laid it on a bit thick that the 'conservative' side are 'correct'. I don't doubt there are serious problems with the current 'democrat' admiistration, I just don't think that a 'conservative' crew would do any different (and the author did address this also). I thought the reference to Rush Linbaugh  as a sensible person with great ideas was a bit of a stretch. A more neutral approach would have given the story more credibility globally. I think the government is what it is regardless which 'side; is in power. Its difficult to develop characters without referring to their politics, but I think it might be possible. Anyway it still makes me think about politics and what role it may play in a collapse. 

My wife and I read Lights Out, and in that there were oblique references to 'god fearing conservative people'. But not over the top. And I think I noticed LO evolved and matured and was very different at the end to when it started. Writing improved, and the narrative just got better with each chapter. 299 Days, constant and solid writing from the beginning.

Politics aside, 299 Days are bloody good books, my wife and I have enjoyed them a lot. Looking forward to the next two books.

cheers

john

Offline HawgWLd

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #303 on: October 30, 2012, 09:34:57 AM »
Thanks HeavyG, Just finished up book 1 and good bit into 2. Really loving it, wife is getting ready to start on it once I figure out how to share on the Kindle.  I can really relate to Grant's prepping process, lucky for me my wife is on-board with prepping.  Looking forward to the whole series.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #304 on: October 30, 2012, 09:50:48 PM »
I lent book 1 to my BIL, and he has been slowly working through it.  A lot of it was stuff he was partly aware of, he has some prepper/country boy in him, but the part about just-in-time inventory was an eye-opener.  We were talking about it at work today, and it seems to have lit a fire under him to start preparing a bit.  He picked up some .223 ammo, a bag of rice, a bag of beans (before we really talked about this), and is planning on getting some propane to store at his house.  I was telling him to look into an inverter, then he could run his oven off the natural gas grid and the electric pilot would work.  I am just trying to keep him calm, he was talking about putting a shotgun and a pistol on his credit card.  He said if he needs them, it won't matter anyway  ::) .  I pointed out that if "they" manage to hold it together another 5-8 years, you're screwed in the meantime.  A soft sell, but it seemed to get the point across.  But the door is fully open now, and this will become a regular conversation, that's how we are.  And he is planning a huge expansion of his garden for the spring :D

Good stuff G, I can't wait until he hits book 2.  I'm pretty sure we are going to be doing more firearms training too.

Awesome, 16.  That's what the book is all about.

You might have your BIL listen to the second interview I did with Jack Spirko.  We talk about why putting panicked prepper purchases (say that three times fast) onto a credit card is a bad idea.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #305 on: October 30, 2012, 09:54:16 PM »

I thought the reference to Rush Linbaugh  as a sensible person with great ideas was a bit of a stretch. 

John:  Thanks for the good review of the book.  But I need to correct you (sorry): I don't say Rush Limbaugh is a sensible person.  I say Glenn Beck is.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Online TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #306 on: October 31, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »
Yeah, NO way G every said something like that about Rush, cause I woulda puked.  ;)
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline hanzel

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Prepper Living
« Reply #307 on: October 31, 2012, 06:16:04 PM »

I was a bit disappointed with the partisan politics. The author laid it on a bit thick that the 'conservative' side are 'correct'. I don't doubt there are serious problems with the current 'democrat' admiistration, I just don't think that a 'conservative' crew would do any different (and the author did address this also). I thought the reference to Rush Linbaugh  as a sensible person with great ideas was a bit of a stretch. A more neutral approach would have given the story more credibility globally. I think the government is what it is regardless which 'side; is in power. Its difficult to develop characters without referring to their politics, but I think it might be possible. Anyway it still makes me think about politics and what role it may play in a collapse. 

As I pointed out in my review of what he described of the area from having to spend 6 weeks there, he hit the nail on the head of what is happening in that area and the attitude of a lot of the people there.

The following and NSFW video has just been put out by a Democrat PAC Moveon.org

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIecRcfQKI4

Acts of violence towards their opponents are becoming more and more acceptable to their followers.  Being in Australian, you may be misunderstanding the two groups that call themselves conservatives.  As a Libertarian and a strict constitutionalist I would be a "conservative" at the same time a right leaning Republican would also be called a "conservative" but we are two different things.  The politics of the characters is very important with one side wanting government to take care of them from cradle to grave and the other group wanting to be reliant on themselves and how they will react to each other based on their political beliefs. You can see the Libertarian conservative coming out in Grant. The "I must take care of myself and my family" vs the "someone else must take care of me and I endorse any means necessary to obtain that end".

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

www.facebook.com/prepperliving

Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #308 on: November 04, 2012, 08:43:38 AM »
Several people asked me for a bulk foods shopping list tracking the Cash n' Carry shopping trip described in the book.  I did that and added some vacuum sealing thoughts.  Here it is: http://299days.com/bulk-food-shopping-list-and-vacuum-sealing-thoughts/

If someone reading this thinks this is helpful, go ahead and repost the link with the shopping list and vacuum sealing thoughts in appropriate threads here on TSP.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #309 on: November 05, 2012, 11:46:28 AM »
Regarding the partisan politics, it aptly describes the Puget Sound scene which is incredibly political and partisan, and hugely leaning left with pockets of conservatism.  This is the State in which the current Governor only won after the Dem State Secretary forced multiple recounts until the Dem candidate had a few more than the Repub and instantly declared it good.  It is one of the most blatant acts of voting corruption I have read about (happened shortly after I moved from Olympia to Oregon).

The capital, Olympia has been overtaken by the state funded hippie commune known as The Evergreen State College and has been ruled by Dems since at least 1980 (Dan Evans is last Repub I recall and he was a "moderate" and staunch defender of TESC).  There is only about one or two conservative leaning radio stations in Puget Sound (may be more or less today) and the bulk of radio and print media is heavily progressive (commie!!).  Being a conservative in that area is really being off the reservation.  I worked in State govt for 12 years and it is rife with partisan politics.  Back in the early eighties it didn't matter as a state worker whether you supported the current party in power or not, you were in a non-polictical job.  That all change when Mike Lowry became Governor around 1992.  He imposed an extreme level of partisan politics and from that day on you better keep your trap shut if you disagree with the liberal agenda.  One of the main reasons I left govt work (the other being govt work is inherently not merit based).

Partisan politics go way back.  In the 1930s union organizers from Aberdeen (port on the coast) were hung as commie conspirators by locals in Chehalis (then a logging town south of Olympia).  We do mock re-enactments of similar events whenever I visit my liberal-global-warming-ski-boat-liberal family there.

If you don't like the partisan politics then don't go there.  Try Forks. Or Chehalis. :)  But the book is just describing what is reality in Olympia/Seattle area. 
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #310 on: November 05, 2012, 09:47:41 PM »

the book is just describing what is reality in Olympia/Seattle area.

Thanks, NWPilgrim.  I don't think people from other parts of the country believe me when I describe things like I do.  You have to see it to believe it.  As I say about many other things in the book, this shit is real.

Offline Serenity Gulch

• Survivor
    • Serenity Gulch Farm
« Reply #311 on: November 07, 2012, 10:24:12 AM »
Heavy G maybe you'd better bump up that publishing schedule so you can get all 10 books out before the collapse happens.  :-\
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take my broccoli!
www.serenitygulchfarm.com

Better a house, | though a hut it be,
A man is master at home;
A pair of goats | and a patched-up roof
Are better far than begging."
Hávamál - Translation by H.A. Bellows

Online TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #312 on: November 07, 2012, 11:01:25 AM »
So, can we narrow the release date for #3 and 4 to something more specific than "mid November" yet?
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #313 on: November 07, 2012, 09:49:57 PM »
The publisher tells me definitely before November 15.  The best way to get an alert on when the new books are released is to sign up for the email on the home page of www.299Days.com

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #314 on: November 08, 2012, 10:14:08 AM »
The publisher tells me definitely before November 15.  The best way to get an alert on when the new books are released is to sign up for the email on the home page of www.299Days.com.

7 days.  That's cool.

In the meantime, I'll be reading Joe Nobody's 3rd "Bishop" novel called Holding Their Own III, and re-reading "Deep Winter/Remnant" by Tom Sherry.

Offline gloomygus

• Prepper
  • Be Prepared or Die
« Reply #315 on: November 09, 2012, 11:26:15 AM »
Okay, I'm so reading this book.  It is way super cool that the author is on this forum!  Wow!

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #316 on: November 13, 2012, 06:05:34 PM »
BOOK 3 & 4 RELEASED!!!!! Can't wait to start reading.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in zone 5a.
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #317 on: November 13, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »
BOOK 3 & 4 RELEASED!!!!! Can't wait to start reading.

Dang it!!! I total fell for that. I am so gullible. I spent 5 mins searching Amazona and 299days.com

This is almost as bad as when HeavyG was teasing us about his secret.... almost as bad as that.  ;)
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #318 on: November 13, 2012, 07:51:02 PM »
Hey, there's no teasing going on. They went up on Amazon slightly ahead of schedule but the publisher is out of town. He wanted to do the launch when he's back, which will be Thursday.

Offline Erik the Red

• Prepper
  • When someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES
« Reply #319 on: November 13, 2012, 08:20:24 PM »
Nope, No Teasing. I just purchased 3 & 4 in Kindle format. They were both also available in print format on Amazon. Search for Glen Tate to see them up top -- when I searched '299 Days' they were buried near the bottom of the page.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in zone 5a.
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #320 on: November 13, 2012, 08:43:02 PM »
I found it... Life gets a little bit better.
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline BadgerAngel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do not get between Badger & her coffee *snarl*
« Reply #321 on: November 13, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
I just bought the first one.  It's going to be sort of a shared anniversary present for me and the husband. 
Proud member of the MSB
Check out Compton After Dark on VOC Nation.  http://www.vocnation.com/COMPTON_AFTER_DARK.html
Pro Wrestling, comics, and prepping to be coming up soon.

Of Seraphim and Cherubim is now available to buy through Kindle! 
http://amzn.to/UHWIiX

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #322 on: November 13, 2012, 09:59:03 PM »
Please do an Amazon review for Book Three and Book Four.  The contents of those reviews, and the number of them, are extremely important.

Offline BadgerAngel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do not get between Badger & her coffee *snarl*
« Reply #323 on: November 16, 2012, 03:46:25 PM »
Received the book.  Give me a day or two (give The Husband a week or two) and I'll join the discussion.
Proud member of the MSB
Check out Compton After Dark on VOC Nation.  http://www.vocnation.com/COMPTON_AFTER_DARK.html
Pro Wrestling, comics, and prepping to be coming up soon.

Of Seraphim and Cherubim is now available to buy through Kindle! 
http://amzn.to/UHWIiX

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #324 on: November 29, 2012, 07:25:06 PM »
Book 1 done , raise your hand if you have every spent over a hundard dolars at a dollar / faimly dollar / kind of store . LOL they hate me LOL .
Nice job Hevy G
Inter personal relationships.  Looking  some one in the eye...
Our guy didnt have time to learn to barter , or work the gun shows , trade , books missing lots of books ,left around to get the wifes to look at and friends to read .

Offline N. Cal

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #325 on: November 30, 2012, 11:50:46 PM »
I finished 3 and 4, can't wait until the next set. One question I have is why do you run the militia down? Folks gather into militias to develop the team work and experience similar to what Grant and the team developed. Just saying they are not all nuts. Or any more nuts than the rest of us, lol. Some will be bad, just like the rest of the population. Some will be very good.
N. Cal.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #326 on: December 02, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »
Book 1 done , raise your hand if you have every spent over a hundard dolars at a dollar / faimly dollar / kind of store . LOL they hate me LOL .

Good to hear from you Bull.

I've never spent $100.00 at a dollar store. (All at once in one day)  ;)

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #327 on: December 02, 2012, 07:26:17 AM »

I finished 3 and 4, can't wait until the next set. One question I have is why do you run the militia down? Folks gather into militias to develop the team work and experience similar to what Grant and the team developed. Just saying they are not all nuts. Or any more nuts than the rest of us, lol. Some will be bad, just like the rest of the population. Some will be very good.

N. Cal.

N. Cal.: You make a good point.  I have a high regard for organized, constitutional militias and don't buy into the stereotypes. 

But...  most people don't know anything about militias.  They just see the word "militia" and roll their eyes.  Seriously, "militia" is one of the least popular mental images in America.  It's like naming your son "Adolf" and wondering why people don't want to be around him.

If I talked about militias, I think most people reading the books would roll their eyes and therefore quit listening to the other things they needed to hear, like the necessity of prepping.  So I could hitch my credibility cart to militias - and be misunderstood and marginalized by 99.9% of people - or I could make the points I wanted to make by not being stereotyped as a "militia" guy.

Related to this is the fact that these books are realistic.  The Team is a real bunch of UCGs ("untrained civilian goofballs") who are self-taught (with a little help from the real "Special Forces Ted.")  The Team is believable because we're real.  A "militia" isn't very believable.  Oh, sure, there are militias out there but not many average people reading the books can relate to a militia - but they can relate to an insurance salesman, hospital tech, white-collar defense contractor guy, rental shop guy, and a lawyer.

Yet another reason to not hitch my credibility cart to militias is that these books are designed to be used for preppers to persuade non-preppers to become preppers.  The quickest way to turn off a non-prepper is to talk about militias.

Offline hanzel

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Prepper Living
« Reply #328 on: December 02, 2012, 01:49:57 PM »
N. Cal.: You make a good point.  I have a high regard for organized, constitutional militias and don't buy into the stereotypes. 

But...  most people don't know anything about militias.  They just see the word "militia" and roll their eyes.  Seriously, "militia" is one of the least popular mental images in America.  It's like naming your son "Adolf" and wondering why people don't want to be around him.

If I talked about militias, I think most people reading the books would roll their eyes and therefore quit listening to the other things they needed to hear, like the necessity of prepping.  So I could hitch my credibility cart to militias - and be misunderstood and marginalized by 99.9% of people - or I could make the points I wanted to make by not being stereotyped as a "militia" guy.

Related to this is the fact that these books are realistic.  The Team is a real bunch of UCGs ("untrained civilian goofballs") who are self-taught (with a little help from the real "Special Forces Ted.")  The Team is believable because we're real.  A "militia" isn't very believable.  Oh, sure, there are militias out there but not many average people reading the books can relate to a militia - but they can relate to an insurance salesman, hospital tech, white-collar defense contractor guy, rental shop guy, and a lawyer.

Yet another reason to not hitch my credibility cart to militias is that these books are designed to be used for preppers to persuade non-preppers to become preppers.  The quickest way to turn off a non-prepper is to talk about militias.

Heavy G  sometimes you need to turn it around on the person.  I once was told by a liberal friend of mine how racist and bigoted "militias" are so I asked a few simple questions to them.

Your between 18-45 arnt you ? ( Yes )
Your not currently in the military or reserve are you ? ( well no. )
Your not a law enforcement officer are you ? ( no )
and your not an elected official ( no )

Hmmm ... well then, as a member of the Texas ( insert your state here ) militia, those of us that in time of war would be called up for a draft which by law the states militia, why do you think your a hateful racist bigot ?

his response was " I am not in a militia !!" and I respond, " you may not think you are in one... but you are Texas State Militia so again .. why are you a racist bigot"  ( he then looked it up and found out he was )
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

www.facebook.com/prepperliving

Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure

Offline jk1869

• Prepper
« Reply #329 on: December 04, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »
Are these books for sale at major book stores, like Barnes and Noble or Books-a-Million?

EDIT: Nevermind. I went ahead and bought the first two on Amazon along with another book.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:20:37 PM by jk1869 »
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken