Author Topic: 299 Days: A realistic view of what could and probably will come  (Read 38929 times)

Offline IFixTeeth2000

• Prepper
Re: 299 Days: A realistic view of what could and probably will come
« Reply #330 on: December 05, 2012, 07:58:25 PM »
HeavyG

What would be the process to get my local library system to purchase your books?

Most books have an ISBN number that I can put into their search engine and find specific books.  If not in the local system in the "WorldCat" intra-library loan system.

All I can find on the Amazon listing of your book is an ASIN number.

It would be cool if we could get lots of forum memebers to start requesting the books through their libraries - if there is a demand for them through the library system the libraries would have to buck up and purchase your books.

Any suggestions?

Mark

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #331 on: December 05, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »
Great question, Mark.

Here are the ISBN numbers:

Book One:    9780615680682

Book Two:    9780615687469

Book Three:  9780615720968

Book Four:    9780615720975

I encourage people to get their libraries to order this.  It will get the word out about prepping.  I'll lose some book sales, but I'd rather get the message out than sell a few more books.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

EOTS

« Reply #332 on: December 06, 2012, 06:21:18 AM »
I encourage people to get their libraries to order this.  It will get the word out about prepping.  I'll lose some book sales, but I'd rather get the message out than sell a few more books.

I'm not so sure about that. Perhaps short term, but I think it would have a positive sort of rebound. People who would never buy the book will read it for free...they may buy it then or not, but for sure, they'll talk about it. They may buy it for others as gifts. Certainly, they'll tell others who will be curious (even if they won't admit it) and will buy it either because Amazon is easier than the library or because they don't want to be seen checking it out.

I volunteer at our local (all-volunteer) library. People are funny. And, incidentally, in one year, we've bought multiple sets of a particular post-apocalyptic series because, when a title's hot, books disappear. Whether it's stealing or forgetfulness....people still want to read the book.

And there's always the fact that people will want to read the next book NOW...but since they already have to wait three months for the next two, they may not want to hop on the waiting list after that. (Doncha love Amazon's at-you-house-in-two-days shipping? And Kindle's even better for feeding the immediate gratification monster.)

Anyway, lots of maybes in there...but the main thing is that I believe exposure through libraries would get your books seen by people who might otherwise not hear about them.

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #333 on: December 06, 2012, 09:13:46 AM »
Good points, EOTS.  I hope everyone requests the series for their local library.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline Serenity Gulch

• Survivor
    • Serenity Gulch Farm
« Reply #334 on: December 14, 2012, 08:01:49 AM »
I heard a clip on the news last night that stopped me in my tracks. Unfortunately I didn't see the screen in time to see what politician made this statement and I've been unable to find it online this morning. The topic was the fiscal cliff and the quote was "spending didn't cause the deficit. Not paying for spending caused the deficit"  :o

So let's just think about that for a minute. Basically what this asshat is saying is that they can spend whatever they want as long as they can extract another pound of flesh from the taxpayers to pay for it. It reminded me of the chapter in one of the books where the politicians are saying that "it's our money" and complaining that the taxpayers aren't giving it to them.  >:(

So Heavy G, do you have a side job working for the Psychic Friends Network?  ;)
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take my broccoli!
www.serenitygulchfarm.com

Better a house, | though a hut it be,
A man is master at home;
A pair of goats | and a patched-up roof
Are better far than begging."
Hávamál - Translation by H.A. Bellows

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #335 on: December 14, 2012, 09:37:17 PM »
Ha! Nope.  I'm not psychic.  I'm just around these people and listen to what they say when they think no one is listening.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #336 on: December 15, 2012, 10:02:44 AM »
 I thought sharing your books may cost you some sales but thats what we do .
I was wrong , loaning out your book just caused the kindle sale to go up. LOL
You had to be there a larg group of people all talking about your books ,and unhappy
with me because they have to wait on the books to come out .

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #337 on: December 16, 2012, 06:11:03 AM »

I thought sharing your books may cost you some sales but thats what we do .
I was wrong , loaning out your book just caused the kindle sale to go up. LOL
You had to be there a larg group of people all talking about your books ,and unhappy
with me because they have to wait on the books to come out .

Awesome, 4bull!  I want people to share the books.  It gets the message out about prepping - and that's why I wrote them.

Offline jk1869

• Prepper
« Reply #338 on: December 23, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »
Read books Three and Four in just less than two days. Doing great and ready for more! Was happy to see the little mention of diabetes, because I tell you what, have Type 1 means you have to include quite a few more supplies and a lot of praying that we're able to find a cure before a collapse happens.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #339 on: December 24, 2012, 08:39:39 AM »
There are so many things going on with the book that I can't put them all up here on TSP.

The almost-daily updates are on the home page of www.299days.com

Oh, and please do a short review on Amazon.  It really, really helps get the word out about the book.  Amazon's computers see lots of reviews as a sign that people care about the book.  This affects how Amazon treats the book.  For example, it pushes the book up on the order of things people see when they're browsing.  Another effect of the reviews is that now Amazon is buying ads on prepper web sites to promote the book.

Thanks to every single one of you.  You have no idea how cool it is to be helping people like this book is.

Offline jk1869

• Prepper
« Reply #340 on: December 24, 2012, 10:51:53 AM »
Also, I found it fairly interesting that there was another character in a book I just read that was a badass also, and was also named Dan Morgan! Granted, he was a former CIA black ops badass, and not a, well, other kind of badass (trying to avoid spoiling too much), but still pretty interesting! The other book is Termination Orders by Leo J Maloney. Also just reminded me of a couple of real life Dan Morgan's who are/were badasses in their own right. In your case, I'm assuming you meant to reference Daniel Morgan, the Representative for Virginia and one of the more gifted battlefield tacticians in the Revolution and also the suppressor of the Whiskey Rebellion.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #341 on: December 24, 2012, 12:52:41 PM »
Every Dan Morgan I've ever met was a total bad ass in real life too.   In fact, I'm considering renaming one of my children to Dan Morgan if my wife will let me.   ;)
Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #342 on: December 24, 2012, 05:27:50 PM »
*snicker, snicker*  My "Dan Morgan" is a real dude.  Very real.

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
« Reply #343 on: December 29, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »
Hubby got me some Amazon credit for Christmas!  Guess what I'm getting?
Cousin: "Who was crazy enough to take her to the range?"
Guy I later married: "I figured I should know how well she can shoot before I tick her off.  I don't want to tick her off."

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
« Reply #344 on: December 30, 2012, 01:18:48 PM »
Hubby got me some Amazon credit for Christmas!  Guess what I'm getting?

Dagnabbit.

I have to wait a day or 2 to buy the second book, although the first one is making me want to go refill all our water bottles and buy more rice...
Cousin: "Who was crazy enough to take her to the range?"
Guy I later married: "I figured I should know how well she can shoot before I tick her off.  I don't want to tick her off."

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
    • Blog - That Writer Broad
« Reply #345 on: December 30, 2012, 08:25:22 PM »
Finally got around to writing a review.  I really have enjoyed the series so far.

So... do we get books 5 and 6 now?

Here's wishing for quick publishers!
Blog - That Writer Broad - http://ThatWriterBroad.com/

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #346 on: December 30, 2012, 09:53:31 PM »
Waiting for Book 4 to arrive.  Read the other 3 over the past two weeks.  That sure help vacation go quickly!

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #347 on: December 30, 2012, 10:08:28 PM »
Finally got around to writing a review.  I really have enjoyed the series so far.

So... do we get books 5 and 6 now?

Here's wishing for quick publishers!

Heavy G said in a Christmas interview with Road Gunner Podcast that Books 5 & 6 would be available February 15th.

Here's hoping he beats that, just like he beat Sept 15th...

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #348 on: December 31, 2012, 09:56:17 PM »
Mid February is a target for Book Five and Book Six.  With all the people reading the series (!), the publisher wants to make sure the remaining books are absolutely perfect.  This could take a little longer than the other books.  We're doing the best we can to get them out as soon as possible, though.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • One day my forge will be finished.
« Reply #349 on: January 02, 2013, 05:03:51 PM »
Heavy G i'm so glad your book is so popular!
Contributing to TSP Forum since October 19, 2008.

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #350 on: January 02, 2013, 09:44:51 PM »
Thanks, Louisiana Suvivor (yes, no "r" in Survivor).  I can't believe it's become so widely read. 

Offline ag2

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Been fishin' lately?
« Reply #351 on: January 03, 2013, 12:51:19 AM »
I listened to Bob Mayne's podcast the other day and, whadyaknow?, there you were, a guest on his show!  I was like, "Hey, I know who he is and kinda know him in an electronic sorta way, he's cool.  And he writes a good book!"  But there was no one else listening to the BlueTooth voices in my head.  :o
Mild-mannered beans, bullion, band aids, bullets prepper cautiously watching history repeat itself.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • One day my forge will be finished.
« Reply #352 on: January 03, 2013, 05:36:38 AM »
I listened to Bob Mayne's podcast the other day and, whadyaknow?, there you were, a guest on his show!  I was like, "Hey, I know who he is and kinda know him in an electronic sorta way, he's cool.  And he writes a good book!"  But there was no one else listening to the BlueTooth voices in my head.  :o

Are you sure there's no one listening? Maybe they're just shy?
Contributing to TSP Forum since October 19, 2008.

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #353 on: January 04, 2013, 09:39:03 PM »
Is "Steve Briggs" real?

Judge for yourself: http://299days.com/weekend-with-the-real-steve-briggs/

Offline nwbarter

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #354 on: January 15, 2013, 10:57:17 PM »
My son (15) is eating up books 3 and 4, getting the itch to do some more shooting with you guys, talk soon.

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #355 on: January 16, 2013, 06:13:23 AM »

My son (15) is eating up books 3 and 4, getting the itch to do some more shooting with you guys, talk soon.

Awesome.  Take care out there.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:26:27 AM by Heavy G »

Offline Hypax

• Prepper
  • behind Loyalist lines
« Reply #356 on: January 30, 2013, 06:21:31 PM »
All I can say is WOW ! I have blown thru the first 3 since Jan 1, and am nursing my way thru 4 timing it for the next release. As a newbie to prepping I am finding a lot of good info in these. They are helping me in my prep planning. I thank you for that.
I find the family dynamic to be great very real and honest. I have a similar relationship with my daughter, and the Mrs. thinks we are both nuts.
Best of luck with the books to come Heavy G, I can't wait for them !

Hypax

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #357 on: January 30, 2013, 09:52:14 PM »
Thanks, Hypax.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #358 on: January 30, 2013, 10:29:16 PM »
BTW: aren't we mere weeks from books 5 and 6?

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #359 on: January 31, 2013, 12:52:08 PM »
BTW: aren't we mere weeks from books 5 and 6?

According to the last Heavy G missive, we're about two weeks out.  WOOHOO!