Author Topic: Need advice for bulk grain supplier  (Read 4921 times)

Offline flatus

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Need advice for bulk grain supplier
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:00:09 PM »
I live in Shreveport, Louisiana and I am looking for a distributor of bulk grains in the North Louisiana, East Texas, or Arkansas. I am trying to organize a group buy for a few other like-minded friends in my area. We will pack the grains in buckets/mylar bags/etc so I am trying to avoid using pre-packed sources. Any suggestions? I am willing to drive to Dallas or farther if needed. Thanks!

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
Re: Need advice for bulk grain supplier
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:47:38 PM »
you may wana post this in your regions board..

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 01:28:55 PM »
I would try to find a local farmer. You will get a better price and you will probably find some that farm organically but don't jump through the hoops to get certified. If you were closer to me I could help, but your a ways south of me.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
2 years ago, I chased combines for a week. Finally I tackled one and for $20 I got 270 pounds clean wheat berries.

Cedar

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 05:37:11 PM »
We are near Texarkana.  And would be interested in joining a bulk buy

Offline The New Mike

• Survivor
  • Universal Man in Training
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 09:32:53 AM »
@FromScratchWoman
I'm not sure he'll get much of a response. Nobody in the Looziana regional deals with this kinda stuff. (Not that I know of)

@flatus
Why on earth sir are you not posting in the Louisiana regional?  :D I'm not sure how it is up there, but there is zero grain production down here. At least I haven't seen any at all. The only wheat I've seen grown was in Mississippi (East of Bogalusa). So unfortunately I wouldn't be able to help you out much down here in Southern Louisiana. Good luck!

Offline RogueLibertarian

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 04:38:47 PM »
In WI we call them Amish stores or bulk foods stores, but whatever you call them they are great for buying these types of items.  These stores buy things like 50# bags of flour and repackage them into smaller bags for retail.  You can order the big bulk bags on special request.  I ordered a 50# bag of hard red winter wheat last month for $18.36.  That included shipping.  I would do an internet search in your area for this type of store.  You can also order bulk bags of this type of stuff from Rainy Day Foods.  But know that you are going to pay A LOT more in shipping.  Good luck!

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 07:20:15 PM »
Rainy Day isn't bad if you have a big enough order--like at least a half semi load.  But even then it will add up going that far. 

Azule Standard is good if you have a route close (I am pretty sure they get to Dallas).  If you have enough they will go out of their way for you. 

If you have an Amish, Mennonite, etc. store, they are really good.  I buy a lot from them, and they will order as much as you want--as long as you pay cash.