Author Topic: Parenting Lesson in Money  (Read 1258 times)

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
Parenting Lesson in Money
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:01:05 AM »
Today is my oldest son's first day of Kindergarten... so I figured there couldn't be a much better way to teach him about money (and government in general) than by cashing in his piggybank today and getting him a handful of silver. (I kind of wish I would have done this when he was born, but then again he didn't have a piggybank then.)

Just got back from a quick trip to Coinstar and the local coin shop. Four nice new 2012 Eagles all tucked away in his own tube, labelled and ready for a quick lesson in value sometime in a decade or so.

The guy at the coin shop seemed pretty tickled by the idea as well. Sounded like he might mention it to a few other customers as well.

Anybody else got a kid starting in Kindergarten in the next few weeks?

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
Re: Parenting Lesson in Money
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »
I like that idea.  I don't have any children yet, but I do like the idea of trading money for PMs at certain milestones.  As well as being the crazy family member that just gives the kids a silly coin every year for Christmas & Birthday.  I think I will probably do both of those things.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Parenting Lesson in Money
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 02:09:48 PM »
Anybody else got a kid starting in Kindergarten in the next few weeks?

+1  My oldest just started Kindergarten homeschooling last week.
We asked him what he wanted to learn about a few weeks ago and he said economics and the government.   :o  He must be my kid.

As well as being the crazy family member that just gives the kids a silly coin every year for Christmas & Birthday.  I think I will probably do both of those things.

I've got 3 kids that could use a crazy family member (or at least another one)!