Author Topic: Are there any Canadian Prepper reviews of Prepper products exclusive to Canada?  (Read 1977 times)

Offline KevinCanuck

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
After searching online for the recent items recommended by Steven Harris (see them at solar1234.com), only to find that half of them could not be shipped to me in Ontario, Canada, I wanted to know if anyone in Canada might step up to tell of their experiences with a lot of similar prepping items available in Canada?

Particularly: backup power supplies; inverters and chargers available at Canadian Tire.  I know there are now a couple of Cabella's in Canada and Le Baron's outdoor stores, but "Canadian Tire" always has something on sale that looks really useful.  Unfortunately, some items on sale at Canadian Tire turn out to be crap.

And where can I get Quikclot and Israeli Bandages in Canada without being ripped off or being charged an arm and a leg in shipping/duty charges?

Surely there is a Canadian Prepper Engineer somewhere that might want to become the "Steven Harris North" consultant to TSP?
Anyone care to weigh in?
KC

Offline Monarks

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
I can't help you with the reviews but if you live reasonably close to the border have you looked into having things shipped to the border and then going to pick them up yourself.

I have used a service called Kinek ( Kinek.com ) a number of times and have picked things up from both Port Huron ( Sarnia ) and Buffalo. Their rates are reasonable (though I have only picked up smallish packages) and I would definitely recommend them.

Offline Fusilier

• Prepper
I'm located in Nova Scotia and I try to buy wherever I can get something cheapest (and legally). Often that means I have to order from the US and often even with shipping and duty, it can be cheaper than buying here in Canada. We live with this all the time.

First off, I bought my battery charger (http://www.paulsfinest.com/Maha-PowerEx-C801D-8-bank-NiMH-NiCAD-AA-AAA-charger-8-x-AA-2700mAh-PowerEX-Batteries-1-x-BH8-case.html) and a lot of my batteries over the years from Paul's Finest (http://www.paulsfinest.com/). I've had this charger for years, it is highly recommended and rated online, and the only time I had a problem (the power brick went bad probably 6 years ago), Paul helped me sort it out with the manufacturer.

I recently received an order of Eneloop AA and AAA batteries as recommended by Steven Harris, from Costco Canada. I placed the order online and it was shipped right to my doorstep.

I have a bunch of stuff from Canadian Tire (yes I have that Canadian Male dominant gene). My car and my garage/house backup power packs came from Canadian Tire - both on sale at 40% or 50% off. The garage unit is kept topped up by two Canadian Tire branded solar cells I picked up off of Kijiji locally. I also have a couple of DC to AC inverters (a couple of car units plus one larger one - I bought it after Steve Harris' podcast on back up power. Just wait for a sale and buy one (or 2).

My back up water breakers came from Walmart. I had to drive to Antigonish to get them since there were none of the ones I wanted in Halifax but I was in Antigonish anyway.

For personal hiking/camping/prepping equipment, I favour MEC. There is a local store here so I don't need to get it shipped to me. Or else I just buy it from Canadian Tire.

Here's my best suggestion, if you are ordering something from the US, make sure they'll ship it by USPS. Avoid the couriers (UPS, Purolator, etc) because they charge an arm and a leg for cross border brokerage fees. I once paid $0.45 HST on an order that cost less than $10.00 and the courier topped that up with a $55.00 brokerage fee.

Some of the couriers include brokerage fees in certain levels of their shipping. It can be difficult to figure out which level of service so I typically only deal with sellers who will ship by USPS. USPS hands the package over to Canada Post who will deliver to my door and will only charge $8.00 (it used to be $5.00 but it went up lately) brokerage fee (plus HST and duties if appropriate).

I would love to have access to everything that is available on Amazon.com but that's not going to happen up here in Canada We have Amazon.ca which will let you try to order everything you find and then only when you're trying to pay for your order, tell you that item can't be shipped to Canada.

Somethings cannot be legally exported out of the US with the proper paperwork (think gun parts, ammunition, reloading components). Some US vendors cannot export non-controlled items due to agreements with their distributors or manufacturers. Sometimes the only thing we can do is hold our nose and spend more money than we want on something locally because that is the only way we can get our hands on it (think Leupold scopes).

Just some random thoughts.

Best of luck
Cheers,
Fusilier. Full time engineer. Part time soldier. Always a professional.

MSB Member

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
I find the Canadian Tire stuff is usually made by some other company and just has a motomaster sticker slapped on it. If you can find out the name of the manufacturer you can look up reviews on line. Usually amazon.com/.ca are good for that.
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.- Optimus Prime

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
While I try to support local retailers whenever feasible, I have also done a fair bit of ordering goods from the US. So far I've dealth with LA Police Gear and Ops Gear with no problems.

Things are sufficiently hectic at CBSA that it's a crap shoot as to whether you'll be charged duties which generally apply to goods not produced in the USA. I've gotten two orders shipped with no duty added, while the last one was charged 17%. Even then the most expensive item on the order, a Condor multicam plate carrier, would have cost me no more than another less expensive colour purchased locally.

I'm planning on ordering an Eberlestock pack soon, and since I've found a Canadian dealer selling them at the same price, will order from them and not fret over whether or not I'll get charged $17, which is no small change on a purchase of that size.

Regards,

Frank

Offline Johnny Swampwalker

• Prepper
The Sportsmans Guide has a special shipping policy set up for Canadian customers:
http://www.sportsmansguide.ca/net/Main.aspx?
Just double-check your 'great deal', as sometimes it can be found in Canada for the same price. They're surplus stuff is usually a great price and in great shape, and duty-free if it is American made.

As for solar/back-up power products, I have a Motomaster Eliminator 400W Powerbox from Canadian Tire that works pretty well, although it isn't the 800W inverter Steven Harris recommended. I'm planning on hooking it up to some solar panels I got on clearance at Wal-Mart - maybe I should post some pics.

By the way, all Motomaster Eliminator inverters are on sale this week, 2 days left, 1/2 price. I picked up a 100W 12V inverter for 16 bucks. I'm going back for another.
'Initiative can be neither created nor delegated. It can only spring from the self-determining individual who decides the wisdom of others is not always better than his own' - R. Buckminster Fuller

Offline KevinCanuck

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Well thank you so much for all your replies.  Seems we're all in the same boat up here and have similar stories to share.

I was able to buy some SH recommended items from Amazon and was even able to have them tagged as a "Gift" by Amazon.  They arrived at my door without any CBSA involvement.  However, a week later, I found the exact same Energizer LED headlamps on sale at Home Hardware.  I could have saved about $7 buying the headset a few blocks from where I live.  DOH! :banghead:

Since my original post, I simply 'caved' and bought one of the higher wattage Motomaster 12VDC inverters on sale at Canadian Tire.  (When would any true-blooded Canadian ever buy something from Canadian Tire at 'regular price' anyway?) At least you can read user reviews about most products online at canadiantire.ca

It's easy to rack up many hours searching online, trying to find something for sale in Canada.  And after a lot of effort, I am managing to find items available at prices comparable to, or even cheaper, than having them shipped from the US through CBSA.  Even USPS packages are kept at my local Canada Post outlet for pickup, because Canada Post gets to charge me an $8 surcharge for retrieving it from them.  So, ordering from US is not always such a great deal.

Still haven't found any reasonably priced Quick Clot or Emergency Bandage suppliers in Canada.  Kijiji is also an awesome tool.  The only place I have seen PRI-G sold in Canada is from an individual in Manitoba, selling it via Kijiji.

MEC is great, sometimes overpriced or short-sighted on the variety of products they offer though.

I will look into all the suggestions and links you've posted in reply to my original question.

Offline Rutger

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
(When would any true-blooded Canadian ever buy something from Canadian Tire at 'regular price' anyway?)

Very true :)  I feel you with the frustration. I will be ordering some things soon, and will be making an order through amazon.com and then preparing to be screwed by shipping and customs.

Offline breamer999

• Prepper
I live in Prince Edward Island and this has got to be one of the most expensive places to ship to, so here is what I do:

1) Find a Princess Auto, they are the 'Harbor Freight' of Canada, some crap, some bibs and bobs, but stuff you could put together for your preps
2)  My girlfriend lives in Cornwall Ontario, so that is across the border from Massena N.Y, I use the shipit shoppe.  I get stuff delivered there, and she picks it up, and when she flies here or I fly there, I bring it back.
3) Cabelas.ca is ok and as others mentioned MEC.
4) If you live close to the U.S, drive over, make a trip out of it and load up.  I went to a Patriots game in 2008 and hit Bass Pro, Cabelas, and every other outiftter on the I95
Love many, trust few, and always paddle your own canoe

Offline breamer999

• Prepper
Oh, and yes, as mentioned above.  Paul's finest is excellent.  I got my MAHA-C800 from them four years ago and it is the only charger that will charge eight D's in less than a week ;)
Love many, trust few, and always paddle your own canoe

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
I thought you guys only need duct tape to prepare.  Have I been mislead by the Red Green Show?
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical
Frontier Tactical on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
Wait, this isn't the thread about freeze dried Canadian bacon?   ;)
When did the Constitution ever stop a liberal.  - nkawtg
Nobody really believes in Hell, until they get there.

Inflatable goats, angel farting unicorns, zombie raptors, sunburnt pig-zebra, bug-eyed-rat-dog, undocumented photosynthesizers, The Rabbit Emperor... and the TSP menagerie grows.

Offline Rutger

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
flippydidit - One of my favorite lines from that show...  "If she don't find you handsome, she'd better find you handy"

AM - Dude... This SHOULD be a thread about freeze dried Canadian bacon. To be honest, I feel a little dirty and disappointed in myself for never looking for dehydrated CB. That would be tasty.

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
I live in Prince Edward Island and this has got to be one of the most expensive places to ship to, so here is what I do:

1) Find a Princess Auto, they are the 'Harbor Freight' of Canada, some crap, some bibs and bobs, but stuff you could put together for your preps
2)  My girlfriend lives in Cornwall Ontario, so that is across the border from Massena N.Y, I use the shipit shoppe.  I get stuff delivered there, and she picks it up, and when she flies here or I fly there, I bring it back.
3) Cabelas.ca is ok and as others mentioned MEC.
4) If you live close to the U.S, drive over, make a trip out of it and load up.  I went to a Patriots game in 2008 and hit Bass Pro, Cabelas, and every other outiftter on the I95

Hey, I'm originally from Cornwall and don't live very far from it!
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.- Optimus Prime

Offline smellycorpse

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
I just picked up  Israeli bandages from charlie point or drop zone out of ED, AB.  Quickclot is at dave's tactical in New west, in BC

Offline KevinCanuck

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Incredible deal on NEBO REDLINE SELECT 310 LUMEN TACTICAL LED = 2 flashlights for $10.49 CDN

Check out this amazon.ca "Canadian Shoppe" ad.: http://www.amazon.ca/Nebo-Redline-Flashlight-Powerful-Magnetic/dp/B0093SYIJE/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1351992360&sr=1-1

I didn't believe it until they arrived in my mailbox today.  I bought 2 sets.  I now have 4 Nebo Redline Select flashlights.

The light doesn't seem as bright as I expected out of the box, but the flashlights come with batteries in them, as well as 3 "Nebo" branded AAA batteries included with the packaging.  I'm sure they will be brighter with new batteries.  Anyway, (unless you are the retailer) you can't go wrong with that price!   Compare them being sold elsewhere online for $42USD EACH!!!

Too good to be true?  I know eh?  But I ordered them and they came within one week -  from Quebec to Ontario.  It's legit; I don't know why, but I don't care.  I just wanted to share my win-fall with all of you. 

Canadians celebrate "Remembrance Day" November 11.  Lt. Colonel John McCrae was born in my hometown - please Google "In Flanders Fields" and take the time to Remember - no matter where you are from.
KC