Author Topic: Bug Out Bike Trailer  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Prepper Recon

• Survivor
  • We don't have a lot of time.
    • Prepper Recon
Bug Out Bike Trailer
« on: August 25, 2012, 12:25:54 AM »
We have a 2 bike rack to go on the back of the car in case we have to bug out. The thought is, being in South FL, there are only two main arteries out of town and they could quickly become grid locked. My B.O.B. is a 55lb monster and it would be very hard to peddle with that on. As a solution, I looked at back of bike trailers, but they start at $250 and go up. I drilled out the handle to my hand cart two accept to heavy duty zip ties. I fastened those to the back of the rear rack and it works great. I would also reenforce it with some 550lb para-cord in the event of an actual bug out. I also zip tied a milk crate to hold more food and water. Here is a picture.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:31:39 AM by Prepper Recon »
"In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish mans devours all he has." Proverbs 21:20

http://prepperrecon.com/
Prepper Recon.com is Prepper news and info links, as well as practical tips to prepping on a budget.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
Re: Bug Out Bike Trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 01:48:49 AM »
+1 very resourceful.

We picked up a used trailer to haul 2  little kids behind the bike off of Craig's List for $40.
Making the best of the DASH.

Offline Prepper Recon

• Survivor
    • Prepper Recon
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 11:21:25 PM »
That was a great deal bartsdad!
"In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish mans devours all he has." Proverbs 21:20

Prepper Recon.com is Prepper news and info links, as well as practical tips to prepping on a budget.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 05:47:31 AM »
Have you had a chance to take it for a spin around the block?  When I have attached various trailers to my bike I found that turns were always dicey.  I have used bungee cords and carabiners and always turns were rough.

Now I have a trailer made to haul kids.  I hauled some bagged yard waste to the city compost pile just to test out the trailer.  I probably had over 100lbs in it.  I noticed a real difference pulling an actual trailer compared to one I rigged up.

When my son out grows this trailer I plan on converting it to a cargo trailer by removing all the fabric and attaching a plywood deck.  You might want to look at something like this for better option.
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »
We found a schwinn kids bike trailer/jogging stroller on clearance from target for $132.  Capacity is #80.  Good quality.

Offline SheepdogSurvival

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 02:15:28 PM »
Awesome job! Thanks for posting!
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
- SAMUEL ADAMS

Offline Prepper Recon

• Survivor
    • Prepper Recon
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 02:29:40 PM »
I took it for a spin around the backyard and it took the tight corners very well. The turns were much tighter than if it were on the road. My back yard is also not a golf course. It has huge tree roots all over making it much tougher terrain. My concern is longevity of the connectors; zip ties and para-cord. Caribeaners would be a great addition for a long trip.  Thanks for the idea Nate!

Offline Prepper Recon

• Survivor
    • Prepper Recon
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 02:32:28 PM »
I am also going to keep my eyes open for a trailer on craigslist to deck out like Nate has planned to do.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 08:54:04 PM »
I have a rack on the back of my bike.  I put an eye bolt in the back of the rack.  I put a carabiner through the eye, and around the handle of a wagon.  The wagon was one of those heavy duty steel mesh ones with the nobby tires.  I then used bungee cords as a sort of "safety chain".  I hauled 2 5 gallon igloo water jugs with it at a former job.  Seemed to work well taking on dirt trails and over grass.  Like I said before, turns were dicey.  Glad to hear your set up works well!

I have heard some who have used old inner tubes to lash the trailer to a seat post or rear rack.  Never tried it though.
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 10:17:13 PM »
We found a Schwinn kids bike trailer/jogging stroller on clearance from target for $132.  Capacity is #80.  Good quality.

I can tell you for FACT that you can put 355 lbs (2 adults)in that Schwinn trailer, and pull it at least 5 miles while drunk with out any perminate damage. We did have to overinflate the tires, and the tires were running the green goop.

But, I would say 150 lbs would be fine for 100 miles or more with out the spring getting too stressed. More if you goop the tires. It really seemed like the weak point was the tires. The spring held up fine.

Ps

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline Alan Georges

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wishin' every month of the year could be June.
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 11:43:54 PM »
I've got to try this.
Build it or buy it, start it up and try it, maybe even fry it.  Otherwise you'll never know if it works.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 12:06:59 AM »
I hope it works, but as someone who's broken aluminum racks while riding in the cascade foothills, I wouldn't expect much from zip ties.

You live in a largely flat terrain, so you might get by with that.  Good luck

Online Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 10:22:38 AM »
I have a Gorilla Dump Cart for my Bike BOB Trailer.

The one thing I will warn people to look out for when using carts like this with relatively small inflatable knobby tires and a heavy load capacity, if you have them loaded up, pick up some speed, and hit a relatively small bump these carts can bounce wildly and they'll drag you down in a heartbeat. The problem is multiplied due to their high center of gravity. To compensate for this I'm hoping to add a set of detachable bike wheels welded above the frame to lower the center of gravity. Unfortunately the design I have in mind will reduce the load capacity greatly.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »
For anyone starting from scratch with this sort of project, I have to recommend looking at a used kid trailer like this:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/3232326734.html

That's less than $50, and is actually designed for the task.  You may need to do some work on the hubs/spokes/tires to make it roll nice, but having pulled my kids for hundreds of miles when they were little, I really think it's the proper solution for the majority of cases.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 10:45:30 AM »
+1 very resourceful.

We picked up a used trailer to haul 2  little kids behind the bike off of Craig's List for $40.
Great ideas. I'll be looking for something similar. The main reason I would use a bike like this would be if I needed to haul water in containers from a lake nearby if our well stopped or ran dry. The challenge is it's down a steep hill. Would probably have to pull the cart by hand up the hill with full containers of water then hook back up to the bike.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 11:22:47 AM »
Great ideas. I'll be looking for something similar. The main reason I would use a bike like this would be if I needed to haul water in containers from a lake nearby if our well stopped or ran dry. The challenge is it's down a steep hill. Would probably have to pull the cart by hand up the hill with full containers of water then hook back up to the bike.

In my experience, 80-100lbs is about the max I can sustainably pedal up an 8% grade even with low gearing (26tx32t). (sustainable meaning <3 miles uphill).
I'd suggest 2x 5 gallon containers, so you could arrange the weight to suit your riding style (1gal h20 ~= 8lbs, so 10gal ~=80lbs.).  Heck if the distance isn't great and the environment permissible - I'd consider daily 5 gallon trips.

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 01:44:53 PM »
Here's a site where a DIY'er could get some great BoBike-T ideas from:
http://www.tonystrailers.com/

He even has a mobile shelter trailer:
http://www.tonystrailers.com/mobileshelter/

Offline Prepper Recon

• Survivor
    • Prepper Recon
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »
Nice site Special K. those look like rugged trailers. I love the one on the Husky. I doubt I could get my cat to pull one.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 06:35:28 PM »
I'm going to be looking at something like this.  I have a long commute and would have to hike it if something stopped cars from running.  I'm on the look out for a decent folding bike for a decent price.  I really don't want to have a bicycle strapped to the back of the car every day tempting thieves or rusting the bike out.
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 12:47:20 PM »
please allow my late smartass coment, but
shouldn't the wheels be larger?
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »
Why not just buy/build/hack a purpose-built cargo bike? Like these...

"Cargo cyclists replace truck drivers on European city streets"
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2012/09/jobs-of-the-future-cargo-cyclist.html

"Tandem Cargo Tricycle (1940) & More Vintage Dutch Carrier Bikes"
http://www.notechmagazine.com/2010/06/tandem-cargo-tricycle-1940.html

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »
I hope there's a spare battery in that gear for the electric bike you have there. That looks like a currie tech product. You are going to drain that battery with all that extra weight. www.highpowreredcycles.com
 They sell a solar option for charging that won't weigh you down. What I mean bythat isn't that it is light but that the missing weight of the money you won't be carrying with you will make up for its weight. But if you are serious about this, then its something to look into.
  Nice set up with the dolly. Look up some ways of attaching it on the internet. Bungies and zip ties are good for to the store and back and they might make it in a bug out or get home situation, but if there are purpose built items or less temporary methods of doing it, then that's a better way of doing it.
  Also consider changing the tires on the two wheeler. If you can ge bicycle tires on there, it will roll easier and more stable in turns.
 I also just wrote a post about using an entire bicycle as a cargo trailer for a ridden bicycle. If you have two of the same bike, then you have spare parts right behind you and in the case of a catastrophis failure of one, you have another bike to ride. You could even tow a kid trailer behind the towed bike.
   If you are going to use a powered bike for this, it might just be better to get one o the two stroke kit motors for bicycles and install it.
  You could do this on some electrics and have redundant  drives,  extra power and extended range. I mentioned this in another post but will repeat it here.
  The usual way that the two (or four) stroke motor is mounted on a bike is in the big triangle. Then there's a chain running from the motor to a srpocket on the left hand side of the wheel. The sprocket is usually bolted into the spokes. This is ok but has some problems.
 What I am going to do with my set up is attach a sprocket of some size to the spindle of the bottome bracket and drive the cranks with the motor.
  That's right, ill be able to use my gearing system in conjunction with the motor.
  Not sure if this can be done with all bikes and even if, it requires some modification. One, you will have to find a sprocket to attach to the spindle and figure out how to do that. My idea is to get a left hand rear sprocket for a flip flop hub, and take a metal collar and thread it to accept the sprocket. Have the collar welded carefully to the spindle. Then the sprocket can be put on. Since its a left hand job, it will tighten under drive toruqe.
   I will then add some bmx pegs to the seat or chain stays so as to have a place to put my feet and keep my legs out of the way while the motor litterally pedals for me.
   This has a couple of advantages, one, I doesn't apply torque directly to the spokes causing possible failure. It uses less chain and the sprocket on the spindle is lighter. It doesn't complicate rear tire changes the way another second sprocket and chain on the left side do.
  It allows you to change over a wide range of gears, finding a great balance between speed, power and efficiency.
   You probably want to install shorter crank arms (these will be less efficient for pedaling) so that you have less chance of getting your legs whacked while riding.
  These are things that I am or will be working on.
Will update when I get stuff done.
Man's mind is his basic tool of survival.
Fear is the mind killer.

Two rules for a happy life:
1. Never sling shit at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is slinging shit at an armed man.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »
Better still would be to remove the left (non-drive side) crank arm.  Assuming a conventional tapered bottom bracket spindle, you could likely find or rework a gear or pulley wheel from a car engine to slip on the spindle.

Having replaced many bottom brackets, cranksets as well as fly wheels off mower engines, the process is similar.  I'd probably then get a junk right side crank arm and grind off the "arm" portion.  If you've got a variable speed bottom, the front derailer seems less useful.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Just a dude
    • Walt's Workshop
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »
I'm not the expert here, but I remember a couple of stories from Asia about transporting with bicycles. The Viet Cong were very fond of loading bicycles with materiel and walking them down the Ho Chi Minh trail. Even without tires, the lessened load lets a common man tote many times his own weight. It's something the Japanese did in WWII as well. Don't worry about how fast or how high a hill you can climb. If you're bugging out, slow, efficient movement may be better anyway.

Cool idea! Brings me back to history lessons and stories form my father and grandfather (both served Nam and WWII respectively). It's a proven concept.
The Universe is infinite so not only is there another earth, there are infinite other earths and every possibility is happening simultaneously. How about we make this earth the best?

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 03:17:01 PM »
I'm not the expert here, but I remember a couple of stories from Asia about transporting with bicycles. The Viet Cong were very fond of loading bicycles with materiel and walking them down the Ho Chi Minh trail. Even without tires, the lessened load lets a common man tote many times his own weight. It's something the Japanese did in WWII as well. Don't worry about how fast or how high a hill you can climb. If you're bugging out, slow, efficient movement may be better anyway.

Cool idea! Brings me back to history lessons and stories form my father and grandfather (both served Nam and WWII respectively). It's a proven concept.
I get that they can be used that way, but if I'm trying to haul five gallons of water every day from the stream near my house, riding my bike while towing a trailer that might be a 30 minute round trip.  Pushing it for the return leg turns it into a 90+ minute round trip.  I'd like to retain that efficiency if I can.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Just a dude
    • Walt's Workshop
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 04:30:06 PM »
Yup, it's an extreme event kind of idea but it works. My bicycle carries just the stuff to repair it on the trail. In a terrible disaster it is a way to carry loads.
The Universe is infinite so not only is there another earth, there are infinite other earths and every possibility is happening simultaneously. How about we make this earth the best?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 09:56:55 PM »
Compared to automobiles, it's perfectly feasible for most any type of bike repair or fabrication to take place in a home garage.  In a lot of cases specialty tools are needed, but compared to the machinery and tools required to perform major automotive work, a couple hundred dollars in parst and supplies can setup your bicycle needs for life.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 07:26:06 AM »
Found a drive side solution to powering the crankset with a motor. Its called a jack shaft. Fairly straight forward. It uses a transfer axle to move the motive force to the drive train of the bike. Thenit uses a freewheel crank to power the bike. The pedals don't turn unless you pedal so there's not pedal monster waiting for your feet to slip off the pedals.
   Its a a neat idea, better than what I was going to do. Its a little more expensive, but I think its ultimately worth it. They can be had foranywhere from 15 to 250$ so its actually about as expensive as the motor or more, but give the added utility, its worth it.
Man's mind is his basic tool of survival.
Fear is the mind killer.

Two rules for a happy life:
1. Never sling shit at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is slinging shit at an armed man.