Author Topic: Class III / NFA fire arms as an investment?  (Read 1738 times)

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Class III / NFA fire arms as an investment?
« on: August 28, 2012, 04:32:40 PM »
I have been looking at other tangible goods to shift assets into and was wondering how you feel about NFA firearms.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Class III / NFA fire arms as an investment?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 04:34:51 PM »
They are more expensive now than pretty much ever....

They are not going to get any cheaper ever...

Your ability to sell / transfer them is likely to get more difficult, and in a total ban situation would be the first guns destroyed.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 05:32:39 PM »
I have been looking at other tangible goods to shift assets into and was wondering how you feel about NFA firearms.

I think the boat has sailed on making big money on Class3 firearms, so I wouldn't look at it as something to make big money off of, but
they likely will hold their value, most firearms do.

Get them for the utility and be sure to fire them.

Offline Jeff NH

• Survivor
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me.
    • Free State Project
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 06:52:08 PM »
I seem to recall a listener call show or email show where someone asked Jack the same question but I could not find it with a quick search. Basically the answer that Jack gave was pretty well thought out. I'll summarize what I remember but I will be undoubtedly adding in my own spin on the topic so assume everything that makes sense is Jack and everything crazy is me. ;)

First, you should probably only be doing this if you are already in very good shape financially (no credit card debt, car paid off, mortgage).
Second, these items will probably hold their value but especially if you are talking about full auto items here the cost is generally very high so finding the right buyer means finding someone that has the money, qualifies to receive the item, lives in a free state, etc. Likely will be buyers out there but may not be particularly liquid.

I'd also add that an investment like this carries a regulatory risk as additional states or federal laws could further impact your ability to transfer this in the future.  While one should not spend their lives worrying about all kinds of 'coulds', in the case of an investment understanding the risks is certainly something to consider.

Now, if you also want to shoot it, would get enjoyment from it and have a side benefit of it being a store of value, go ahead - but you are not allowed to try to tell your wife that Jack said you should do it.

Note if you are talking about short barreled rifles, silencers, etc and not full auto, you have mitigated some of the risk associated with limited buyers but of course you lose the benefit of a limited supply helping to drive the cost of the item up.