Author Topic: IUD vs. Essure tubal ligation  (Read 7536 times)

Lvj04

Re: IUD vs. Essure tubal ligation
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 12:45:48 AM »
Hi all, I am new to this forum, and this is my first post.  I could not help but weigh in and echo what the other ladies are saying about Natural Family Planning/Fertility Awareness Method/Billings Method/etc. after the experiences I've had.  After 3 miserable years on the pill and 4 (less) miserable months with barrier methods (less miserable for me, very miserable for the hubby), I reluctantly tried the copper "Paragard" IUD.  It was the most painful experience of my life getting it put in (can you tell I've never had any children?).  I had a lot of side effects - bloating, sharp pains, cramping, spotting, very heavy, long cycles, and a nagging feeling about how it was primarily working.  I believe life begins at conception, and while I found sources suggesting that the IUD has a spermicidal effect, if that fails, it basically creates a chronic inflammation/infection in your uterus that would make implantation impossible.  The pill is no different, by the way - if ovulation is not prevented, prevention of implantation of a fertilized embryo is a backup defense - something I did not thoroughly understand before going on the pill before I did so much research.  Anyway, I embraced the IUD for a solid year because I was so incredibly happy to be off the hormones and because it made the hubby happy, despite all the side effects.  A few months after getting the IUD, I began reading "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler and realized that natural birth control IS possible and IS effective.  Without really thinking I could or would, I decided one night to try "pulling the string," if you know what I mean, and it came right out.  (So, as a side note, if the SHTF, or if you are just "crazy" and hate going to doctors like me, you can try taking it out yourself).  I've been using a hybrid of the Fertility Awareness Method and the Billings method for a full year now and am SO much happier.  As someone with a survivalist mindset, it is incredibly liberating to know how my body works and to know that no matter what, I can control my fertility and teach other women these skills, too.  And by the way - natural family planning DOES work if you do not have regular cycles!  Mine are getting better, but at the beginning, they were as long as 60 days one month and as short at 45 days the next month.  I've been working to improve my diet and health a lot this past year and half, and now my cycles are averaging between 30-45 days long, which is still quite a spread.  There are several ways to check and double check yourself, and after a few months, you will get to know your body really well, and it will tell you what it's doing and when.  Hope this insight can help someone else learn from my mistakes and experiences.  P.S. If you're still considering an IUD, all I can say is that as much as I hated it, I would still choose another copper IUD over a hormonal method if those were my only two choices.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 07:36:35 AM »
If you're still considering an IUD, all I can say is that as much as I hated it, I would still choose another copper IUD over a hormonal method if those were my only two choices.

I think it very much depends on your reason for getting an IUD in the first place.  In my case, I wasn't getting it for birth control, it was for peri-menopausal symptoms that were out of control (excessive bleeding, long periods, large clots, etc) that were helped with progesterone.

It's definitely not for everyone, though.  It has been great for me and some others I've talked to, but I know just as many that absolutely hated it.

Offline Memento_Mori

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2013, 03:16:13 AM »
I've had Mirena IUD for 8 months now and I LOVE IT! NO MORE PERIODS!
 I don't know if this has any serious health issues since it hasn't been researched, but from what I understand the amount of hormone that is secreted is very small and mostly only effects the uterus. I have noticed more intense cramping but I never really had cramping before.
At first, I was really worried for a while that something would happen with it (since I also did a lot of research and found all of the horror stories). I checked the strings nearly every day. I won't pretend that insertion was a breeze but it wasn't terrible. Lots of cramping for a few minutes and a pinch on your cervix (which is impossible to compair to anything else). I've also never had children, and I've heard it hurts even worse for nulliparous.
And unless you get a lot of vaginal infections, I wouldn't worry much about it causing uterine infections. And the ectopic pregnancies will occur with or without the IUD. In these cases the egg has stuck somewhere it shouldn't have, not the uterus. The IUD helps prevent the sperm from reaching the egg and if it does it prevents the lining from building up well so the egg has difficulty implanting in the uterus. So if the sperm gets past the IUD and fertilizes the egg and the egg never even reaches the uterus, then the IUD has simply not been effective enough to prevent this pregnancy. It didn't cause the ectopic placement of the egg.
Now in the case of SHTF, maybe stock up on backup? I'm in no way saying the IUD will be best for you, but so far it has worked well for me. I don't have to worry about taking a pill or can I have sex today or what is my temp or how is my cervix laying or what kind of mucus am I producing or hey, am I bleeding? Do we have to be all clean now so I don't bleed all over the place. Talk about a turn on.
 And frankly I would have picked Essure if my Dr would have let me, but she thought that I should wait and suggested Mirena. When I looked at the research it did seem pretty great. Not sure now that I will concider Essure when my doctor will be willing, and also not interested in looking for a Dr who would be willing.
I mean, Essure isn't going to keep away my periods. Its probably not this way for everyone,  but periods don't make me feel sexy. My sex life is pretty great now. I'm care free, and to me that's a little piece of freedom that I get to choose for myself.
Everyone is going to have different priorities. If you don't trust hormones or you are looking for something more permanent in case of SHTF that you can basically fix it and forget if, than maybe Essure is for you.
And I agree with kayakmom... every option carries a risk, even getting pregnant. I've seen so many people go through complicated pregnancies, and these are normally healthy people. It's not like they already had 3 or 5 health disparities already.
oh and price... My IUD cost about $100 total with my insurance. My Dr said that this is the most used birth control in European countries, but for some reason America just hasn't caught on.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2013, 07:58:03 AM »
I've also never had children, and I've heard it hurts even worse for nulliparous.

I have to give you a +1 for giving me a new vocab word.  That does not happen often.  I couldn't even guess the meaning from "roots".  very cool.

nulliparous: of, relating to, or being a female that has not borne offspring  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nulliparous
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.