Author Topic: Loved one in Nursing Home  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Grannywhiskers

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Loved one in Nursing Home
« on: September 01, 2012, 01:10:07 PM »
Does anyone have a loved one in a nursing home?  My husband is in end stage Alzheimer's.  He has been diagnosed for 13 years.  I kept him at home for 10 years until he became so aggressive.  If you have read the book One Second After, I think it depicts what happens in a nursing home in a SHTF situation.  It scares me to peices.  He has been kicked out of two other nursing home do to aggression, so he is now 70 miles away.  Since I am prepping alone I don't think I could care for him and defend us etc.

Any ideas?

Offline Crosstimbers

• Prepper
Re: Loved one in Nursing Home
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 10:00:45 PM »
Wow, you have had a lot to deal with.  I have also read One Second After.  I have an 83 yr old friend who is like a second mother to me in a nursing home.  She has no other family living so I am responsible for her and glad to be.  It is scary to think about them in a SHTF time.  When you say you are prepping alone do you mean in your immediate family or in general?  My only suggestion would be to become part of a community of people that are supporting each other in SHTF situation.  None of us can survive on our own anyway..

Offline Prepper Recon

• Survivor
  • We don't have a lot of time.
    • Prepper Recon
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:10:11 PM »
I will have to agree with Crosstimbers. Community is what we all need. A good start would be your local church. If you can find a church that is into prepping, even better. Pastor Chuck Baldwin has a list of churches around America that are prepper friendly at chuckbaldwinlive.com.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. " Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Grannywhiskers

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:14:16 PM »
Thank you guys so much.  It truly bothers me.  I could not live with myself if the nursing home was abandoned.  I would have to try to get the 70 miles to him and get him home.  Then what I do with him will have to be determined.

I am prepping with one of my daughters.  But we are the only ones in our family prepping (about 20 people). She also has a mother-in-law that we would have to retrieve.  Her MIL is at least local.

I was so curious as to what decisions others in my situation had made regarding care for those in nursing homes.