Photobucket

Author Topic: Apple Pie Moonshine  (Read 14196 times)

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
Apple Pie Moonshine
« on: September 01, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »
Since apples are in season, I thought this recipe would be appropriate.   Cost to make came to about $3.50/qt for me.

1 gallon of apple juice (128 fl. oz.)
1 gallon of apple cider (128 fl. oz.)
1-½ cup white sugar
2-½ cups of brown sugar
½ clove of fresh nutmeg (finely ground)
8 cinnamon sticks
1000 ml (1-1/3 fifths) of 190 proof grain alcohol, Everclear

Add everything but the alcohol in to a large boiling pot. Bring the contents to a boil (this
will insure that the sugar has completely dissolved, very important). Remove from heat
and let cool to room temperature. Only after it has cooled, gradually stir in the alcohol.

Following this recipe, will dilute this liqueur to 10-11% alcohol (20 proof). If you want it
to be stronger simply add more alcohol. . . . You can also increase the proof by simply
letting the pot boil for a long time (boil off some of the liquid, concentrate).

Mix well before storing in quart sized Mason jars (batch makes about 9 quarts). Add a
cinnamon stick to each Mason jar and store in a cool dark dry place.

You may find, like I did, that it tastes pretty potent when you’re done. If this is not
what you’re after, put it away (in your jars) for about 2-3 weeks and your Apple Pie
Moonshine will taste awesome. The longer it sits the better it gets.

Best served over ice.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
Re: Apple Pie Moonshine
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 01:29:25 AM »
I make something very similar.

It is also good warm, served with a dabble of whipped cream.  ;)

Making the best of the DASH.

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:35:41 AM »
I've found that no matter how you drink it, it doesn't last long, it goes down so easy.  Will sneak up on you too.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 12:22:38 PM »
Thanks for the recipe! I LOVE Apple pie moonshine!
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »
Thanks for the recipe! I LOVE Apple pie moonshine!

I've personally drank it for years but the friends that made it would never give me the recipe, they would only sell it to me (for $30 a 5th).  They would go on and on about how expensive it was to make, the weeks it would take to make it, and the labor involved.  Disgusted that I was at their mercy, I finally searched the internet and came across a recipe that I tweaked a little to suit my liking. 

Now I know that my friends weren't very good friends, once I discovered it only cost me $3.50/quart to make it and it wasn't very hard to make . . . .  And, in a blind taste test, mine was chosen as hands down better.  My friends are pissed, but I did give them my recipe.

Because of this experience, I vowed to share this recipe with anyone who wants it, and even those who don't ask.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:44:19 PM »
This sounds a lot like something I was introduced to in my early 20's but didn't know how to make. Thank you. Oh, and the idea of it warm with whipped cream sounds pretty good also!

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 11:44:12 PM »
I've personally drank it for years but the friends that made it would never give me the recipe, they would only sell it to me (for $30 a 5th).  They would go on and on about how expensive it was to make, the weeks it would take to make it, and the labor involved.  Disgusted that I was at their mercy, I finally searched the internet and came across a recipe that I tweaked a little to suit my liking. 

Now I know that my friends weren't very good friends, once I discovered it only cost me $3.50/quart to make it and it wasn't very hard to make . . . .  And, in a blind taste test, mine was chosen as hands down better.  My friends are pissed, but I did give them my recipe.

Because of this experience, I vowed to share this recipe with anyone who wants it, and even those who don't ask.
I was introduced to this by listening to NASCAR radio on XM. I tweaked the recipe juice to cider ratio to correspond with the size of the jugs readily available to me.

Yeah, you need better friends. :D :beer:

Offline NassPrep

• Prepper
  • Ask me about modern security prep.
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 10:42:40 PM »
This recipe sounds awesome! I am definitely going to give it a try. The idea of letting it set in the jar for a few weeks makes sense, especially with the cinnamon in there.
Owner-Operator of PreparedSecurity.com

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
    • My 13-In-13 Page
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 02:32:28 AM »
Sounds tasty! I'll have to give it a go.

Offline SheepdogSurvival

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 09:28:43 PM »
It's pretty badass, I make something similar and my friends love it! It's good stuff.
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
- SAMUEL ADAMS

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 11:14:03 PM »
It's pretty badass, I make something similar and my friends love it! It's good stuff.

I'm drinking some right now.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline MNSurvivor

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 09:25:33 PM »
Just made a batch a few weeks ago.  Found out MN only sells 151 proof so I kept adding until it had a bite!  Turned out a bit too sweet and cinnamony but I will get over that and adjust next time.  We are already down a quart.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 02:31:24 AM »
Just made a batch a few weeks ago.  Found out MN only sells 151 proof so I kept adding until it had a bite!  Turned out a bit too sweet and cinnamony but I will get over that and adjust next time.  We are already down a quart.
Be careful, even with using the wimpy MN Everclear, (my stock of the good stuff from SD had run out) the stuff will sneak up on you. :beer:

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 12:08:53 PM »
I had a friend worry that the alcohol content would be too high if I stored any of this recipe for too long. Is that right? I thought the alcohol process was stopped by the time you buy the liquor off the shelf and it was just the flavors that mellow over time.

Offline SheepdogSurvival

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »
I had a friend worry that the alcohol content would be too high if I stored any of this recipe for too long. Is that right? I thought the alcohol process was stopped by the time you buy the liquor off the shelf and it was just the flavors that mellow over time.

Yeah that is my understanding. It does not get any stronger over time (yeast can't live at that high of a alcohol % anyways) it just mellows.
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
- SAMUEL ADAMS

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »
That's what I thought too. I made 2 1/2 gallons of it last night. Yum!

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 02:34:45 PM »
I love Apple Pie moonshine — I am going to have to try this little recipe out very soon.
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 04:56:38 PM »
Saving this for future consumption... ;D

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 05:40:37 PM »
So is that hard cider?
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 06:08:18 PM »
So is that hard cider?
Yep in that it has alcohol on it... Bet it would also be good warmed on a cold night.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline SheepdogSurvival

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 08:51:02 PM »
So is that hard cider?

No, it's different. Hard cider is brewed like beer, the alcohol comes from the actual cider. Apple pie shine the alcohol comes from everclear or shine added to a cider mixture.
- SAMUEL ADAMS

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 09:13:37 PM »
No, it's different. Hard cider is brewed like beer, the alcohol comes from the actual cider. Apple pie shine the alcohol comes from everclear or shine added to a cider mixture.

No, I meant the ingredient; is the second ingredient hard cider, or off the grocery store shelf cider?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:29:36 PM by Cooter Brown »
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review

Offline lettuceman

• Survivor
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 10:07:06 AM »
The second ingredient is apple cider.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
I had some last night. Needs more alcohol in the recipe (for my taste). Seemed like I got full before I got relaxed. Tasted great though. I'll up the grain alcohol for the next jar.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »
This recipes is getting saved and will me made. Have had this stuff before but never knew it was simple to make.  :beer:
SwagBucks This program will let you get Amazon gift cards free, just for using their search engine. I paid for my X-mas with it!

"The Hen House"

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 07:45:20 PM »
To answer a few questions and give an update to my original post . . . .

The alcohol content will not increase over time as it sits.  As long as the cider has cooled before you pour the alcohol in, it will not change.  But, just because you put 190 proof in, doesn't mean you get 190 proof when you're done.  What you are making is liqueur and the cider dilutes the proof.  If you stick to the recipe, you'll get about a 20 proof liqueur.

The second ingredient is simply apple cider (not "hard" cider).  There is really no difference between cider and juice, it depends on where you're from as to what you call it.  But, typically the difference is usually that cider is unprocessed and unfiltered.  You can use all juice, or all cider in the recipe.  I haven't found either to make a big difference in the taste unless it's fresh pressed versus store bought.

I have recently been trying variations of alcohol type (mixing Everclear and flavored vodka) and adding more alcohol than I listed in the recipe.  I've found that it really doesn't matter how much booze you add, as long as you let it sit for a few weeks.  The flavors blend and you can't really tell one proof from the other . . . .  The moral of the story is, add more booze.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 12:37:03 AM »
More booze.....got it :zombie:
SwagBucks This program will let you get Amazon gift cards free, just for using their search engine. I paid for my X-mas with it!

"The Hen House"