Author Topic: Yoder's Bacon Question and Bacon Price Info  (Read 2255 times)

Offline NotAGrasshopper

• Senior Survivalist
Yoder's Bacon Question and Bacon Price Info
« on: September 03, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »
Folks -

I want to can up some more bacon but use the same size can the Yoder's stuff comes in.  I don't have any cans that size and need to source some, so...

If any of you have some Yoder's canned bacon, could I talk you into measuring the can for me?  Cans are measured in inches and sixteenths but if you can get within an eighth inch that would do fine.

Can someone help me out, please :-)

BTW, for canning bacon it looks to me like the best deal right now is to buy pre-cooked thick sliced Hormel bacon at COSTCO (not Sam's).

At Costco a 1 pound package is 12.79 or 80 cents per ounce and contains 48-50 slices. 

Sam's sells a 9 ounce package (also Hormel) containing 72 much thinner slices for $10, or $1.11 per ounce.

The thicker Costco slices, while also being cheaper by weight, will stand up to heat processing better than the thinner ones.   Even though you only need to water bath precooked bacon, the thin stuff can still get really fragile...

Also, when I was inspecting the packages for "meatiness" as Costco I thought I could feel weight differences among the packages.  So I grabbed a half dozen and took them to the meat counter where I found an unattended digital scale.  I plopped each package onto the scale and found that their weights varied from 1.08 to 1.36 pounds.  That's a quarter pound difference, which translates to more than a pound of pre-cooked bacon weight!  So if you're buying, weigh them first if you can.

Offline VeggieDog

• Survivor
Re: Yoder's Bacon Question and Bacon Price Info
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:38:55 AM »
My Yoder's can seems to be the same exact size as a normal (14-15 oz) can of veggies or beans.  It's 4 5/16 in. tall and 9 1/4 in. circumference.  Hope this helps!

Offline NotAGrasshopper

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Yoder's Bacon Question and Bacon Price Info
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 12:25:50 PM »
Perfect, thanks!  That's a #300 can.  3" x 4-7/16" before seaming.

I appreciate your help.