Author Topic: where would/did you buy your wall tent?  (Read 6702 times)

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
where would/did you buy your wall tent?
« on: September 04, 2012, 10:43:29 AM »
looking to get a good wall tent but not spending a mortgage payment in doing so! i keep an eye on craigslist and such but just wanna know where you got yours, how much, happy with it? have you wintered over in it? thanks!

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: where would/did you buy your wall tent?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »
I think I would go with a fabric or Thermax sheeting HexaYurt before a wall tent.

Especially the semi-folding one used at Burning Man.

http://hexayurt.com/

Thermax;
http://building.dow.com/na/en/products/insulation/thermaxsheathing.htm

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:33:12 PM »
thanks for your input but the burning man tents are a no go brainer for me/situation as those would be considered a permanent structure and need to be under 200sq ft if i use a  wall tent i have no limitations and it can be put on the back of a mule ;)

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »
I bought an old military G.P. small years ago at a surplus auction.
It's a 17' hex, with a stovepipe jack in the roof. You can also get a cold weather liner for them, but I never use one, even up here in Maine.
I think I got mine for like a hundred bucks. It's more than you want to carry very far, but if you have a ATV, or pack animal......

I've slept in mine through blizzards and even a hurricane. 8)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:26:44 PM »
A  tent site I've bookmarked for the future:
http://davistent.com/

Offline BetaMike

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:02:03 PM »
I don't ave any experience with these but I thought they were pretty cool:

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 11:30:12 PM »
Me to ;D

nelson96

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 11:31:13 PM »

I can speak first hand of Davis Tent, as this is what I am using now (see my profile pic).  These people (whom are themselves outdoorsmen) know what a good tent needs.  I have found them to be salt of the earth and very accommodating in any request.  I would look over their website (and many others too, so that you are informed), then call Davis Tent and talk to them.  You will find that they have very good advice, and can help you learn some things. . . .  This can be said for many other manufacturers, but I found that over the years, Davis has been the most helpful.

I have been an elk hunter for many years and have camped in a number of different brands of tents (and owned a few of them myself).  In my opinion, you won't find a better quality made tent with such quality fabrics, threads, craftsmanship, and design for the money.  I have had zero issues with my tent and we use it. 

I've always used an internal frame (which I would recommend), but what's nice about Davis Tent is that they design it (standard) with ridge poll sleeves.  This way, if you are going to pack in with a mule or horse, you can chop down a tree and make your own poles.

Davis has got a lot of information on their website to help you figure some things out, start there.  Depending on when you want to buy, I'll add that if you go to a good sized Sportsman Expo, you can find up to a dozen manufacturers there with tents set up for you to look over.  This is a good way to compare designs, craftsmanship, and the quality of the products they use to build them.  You're probably looking at February for Expo dates.  Ask Davis for a list of shows and dates they plan to attend. . . .  If you order a tent before the show and you go to one they are attending, they will bring it with them for you to pick up free of shipping charges (that's how I did it).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:43:12 PM by nelson96 »

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 11:34:22 PM »
I don't ave any experience with these but I thought they were pretty cool:

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/

All-season*: Use year-round, but not designed for extreme winter mountaineering or heavy snow accumulations.*The awning is not designed for snow loads and should be stowed during winter camping
nice "fall" tents but not worth the cost really if you cant put a stove in nor allow it to  be set in the snow..

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 11:37:49 PM »
I can speak first hand of Davis Tent, as this is what I am using now (see my profile pic).  These people (whom are themselves outdoorsmen) know what a good tent needs.  I have found them to be salt of the earth and very accommodating in any request.  I would look over their website (and many others too, so that you are informed), then call Davis Tent and talk to them.  You will find that they have very good advice, and can help you learn some things. . . .  This can be said for many other manufacturers, but I found that over the years, Davis has been the most helpful.

I have been an elk hunter for many years and have camped in a number of different brands of tents (and owned a few of them myself).  In my opinion, you won't find a better quality made tent with such quality fabrics, threads, craftsmanship, and design for the money.  I have had zero issues with my tent and we use it. 

I've always used an internal frame (which I would recommend), but what's nice about Davis Tent is that they design it (standard) with ridge poll sleeves.  This way, if you are going to pack in with a mule or horse, you can chop down a tree and make your own poles.

Davis has got a lot of information on their website to help you figure some things out, start there.
ya i bounce back to them often.. so im glad to see more than one TSPer say yep this one..

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 11:39:51 PM »
if i recall you (nelson) hunt or have hunted above me..kindly hearding them down my way ;D

nelson96

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 11:48:26 PM »
if i recall you (nelson) hunt or have hunted above me..kindly hearding them down my way ;D

Yes, for many years now (without fail) . . . .  Will be there for opening season this fall.  Didn't get my first season tag, so we will be there for second season starting Nov 3rd. . . .  You were going to do some baiting for me while picking mushrooms, weren't you  ;)

We will deer hunt here in the valley this year.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:55:08 PM by nelson96 »

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 12:07:45 AM »
Yes, for many years now (without fail) . . . .  Will be there for opening season this fall.  Didn't get my first season tag, so we will be there for second season starting Nov 3rd. . . .  You were going to do some baiting for me while picking mushrooms, weren't you  ;)

We will deer hunt here in the valley this year.
that's right! mushrooms were no good this year :( but ha i did spill some sweet mix for my goats via tree snag so that counts ;D

Offline newsur

• Prepper
  • WE THE PEOPLE
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 04:11:56 PM »
  I may not be as knowledgeable as any one else here but to answer your question, as soon as I can afford one I'm going to get an Alaknak tent from Cabellas.  Wood stove and all.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:19:47 PM by newsur »