Author Topic: Camping cookware  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Mgcprep1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Camping cookware
« on: September 09, 2012, 12:34:56 PM »
I have learned the value of cast iron cookware but for camping and on the go purposes which is better the aluminum or titanium?  The titanium is certainly more expensive but is it worth the cost?  Would welcome any advise. 

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Camping cookware
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 12:52:33 PM »
I wish I could help, but I use my cast iron while camping.
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 03:45:54 PM »
I've never had trouble with aluminum, and I've always purchased mine second hand at thrift stores.  I've heard people say that aluminum ruins tomato-based foods, but I almost always include tomato-based foods, and they always turn out awesome. 

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 05:36:40 PM »
It depends upon what kind of camping you're doing. We pull a pop-up and cook over a Coleman camp stove and use cast iron frying pans. We also have 3-legged Dutch ovens, 2-2quart size for the two of us. If we were to back pack camping you'd want to go with light weight aluminum or such as you can afford. I think you can rent the titanium from outfitters if you don't plan on doing much backpacking. If you Kayak camp, the heavy cast iron actually makes your vessel more stable.

The great thing about cast iron is that it never fails, you can use it over the fire/coals and cleans up with no soap.

Cast iron.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 05:46:17 PM »
The simple answer is titanium will always be a better cookware (at home or camping).  But I personally wouldn't use it for camping due to the cost alone.  Other than my cast iron (used at home and camp) is use what's cheap and will get me by.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 07:31:18 PM »
All my camping is in a popup camper, so the cast iron goes with me.  I use some cast iron skillets, and have a 12" and 10" dutch oven that I do a lot of cooking in.

But I certainly wouldn't want to carry those on my back.  Personally, I can't justify the cost of titanium cookware.  Granted, I haven't used it, but have no issues with aluminum for the limited amount of cooking that I do with non-cast iron cooking.

When you get the chance, please stop over at the Intro Thread and introduce yourself.
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline danzak44

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 12:46:45 AM »
If you're car camping then the cast iron is great, but if you're hiking that stuff around I would go with aluminum, but if you're really concerned with weight, then use the titanium. We personally use aluminum and they work great. We have a gsi set and a large 2 liter pan from rei that was a great price with a built in strainer in the lid and a mesh bag to pack it in.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 04:58:28 AM »
I do a lot of backpacking and canoe camping.  I have never used titanium because of the cost.  It is marketed to folks who are into extreme ultralight camping.  Aluminum is fine.  I use stainless myself.  I picked up a texsport stainless cook set about 10 years ago for $20 and it is still serving me today.  Came with 2 pots, fry pan and 2 plastic cups.  The fry pan is too thin and I lost the cups but I still use the pots.

If I do any baking for frying on the trail I use a Banks Fry Bake. http://frybake.com/  I used these on my NOLS course and finally broke down and bought one.  Nothing is better than fresh cinnamon rolls for breakfast on the trail!

NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline Nomad, 2nd

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »
I was with everyone on Ti being too expensive...

Then I was deployed to Iraq. (cost is relative, money means little when your going to get shot at)

My 2 Ti pots weigh less than a canteen cup.

Means I could carry more ammo and water.

Also: it's not that the Al ruins the tomato, it's that the acid of the tomato causes you to ingest the Al.

If your first starting out... Use an old coffee can or whatever works.

If our on the fence: get the Ti

Offline Elex23

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 12:31:58 AM »
Assuming that you're positively concerned with weight, then utilize the titanium. We independently utilize aluminum and they work foremost. We have a gsi set and a huge 2 liter dish from rei that was an imperative cost with a fabricated in strainer in the cover and a lattice pack to pack it in.

Offline chezrad

• Survivor
    • Brush n Soap n Blade
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 06:17:11 AM »
Backpacking -> titanium if possible, aluminum next, then steel. Be aware that stuff will stick to all, especially if using the uneven heat of a campfire. Most of my backpacking / hiking cooking centers around boiling water. because of this, if cost is an issue any metal container will work.

Any form of camping where I don't have to carry the cookware -> cast iron, cast iron, and last choice...cast iron. I've used all other types over the yars but for ease of both cooking and cleanup, cast iron wins. It's durable, long lasting and typically inexpensive.

My 2 cents anyhow. Cheers.

Offline Garandman

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 04:27:38 PM »
Car camping, or backpacking?

Offline WildlifeMan

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 08:33:01 PM »
This is my first post so I will keep it brief!:

I have upgraded all of my cookware to titanium. I focus mostly on backpacking (and putting in miles) so I prefer the light-weight gear. That being said, I have also downsized all of my cookware to one 0.8L titanium pot and a spoon from my house!

When car-camping I go back to my extensive bundles of aluminum mess-kits complete with spatulas and the works. I guess the important thing is getting in the woods!

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 10:22:51 PM »
I use Stainless Steel I got at Goodwill for my backpack. I take a cast iron pan and a cast iron dutch oven when I do other camping (and house).

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 10:31:05 PM »
Backpack shmackpack, why do that when you can sit on the back of a horse and use more/better cookware.  Or better yet, pull up in your A/C capable trailer with a cushion bed ;D

“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 08:13:07 AM »
This is my first post so I will keep it brief!:

WildlifeMan, When you have a moment please drop by The Intro Thread and say hello to the other forum members.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 04:52:40 AM »
I have been using the same stainless steel pot with copper bottom since the 80s. The lid is a frying pan.
Lately I have obtained http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtSoKaZ3Qxk
Have not used the fuel canister but that pack stove ring works well in a small campfire, basically to replace the need for a grill.  It allows air to get to the coals under what you are cooking and provides a platform upon which to put your pot or cup.  The water bottle can also be put on it in the fire to purify water.
"For the world is hollow... and I have touched the sky!"

"Whenever we take away the liberties of those whom we hate we are opening the way to loss of liberty for those we love."
-Wendell L. Wilkie-
(1892-1944)

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
Same as some of the others said, cast iron when car camping or at home and I have an aluminum set for backpacking/BOB.
The doctor told me when I was born that my chances of getting out of this life alive were slim.
Check out my blog http://rangerspreparedness.blogspot.com/
www.mormon.org

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 03:08:19 AM »
All I ever use is a quart stainless steel pot with this removable handle thing, a fork, and a spoon. The pot is big enough to easily cook ramen but small enough to come with me. Do not use the mess kit pots from super cheap mess kits with a handle on top that swings. In my experience, they are awful. Side handles are best in my opinion.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 09:52:05 AM »
Most of my backpacking cooking gear is stainless.  The Snow Peak Personal Cooker 3 set has enough pans, plates, and pots to support my son and I while we're out.  Normally, I split it into two kits for GHB/BOB use.
http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/backpacking/personal-cooker-3-cs-073us.html

I picked up a couple of small pots from someone's old Boy Scout cooksets at a garage sale.  I think they were fifty cents apiece and they're a decent supplement for kits.  I've also got a couple of steel canteen cups and a GSI Nalgene cup.  My next purchase will probably be an aluminum Kochanski style bushpot because of the versatility - Dave Canterbury recently showed how to bake in one and I like having a handle and a bail.

For car camping, I've got a four person MSI cooking set that works pretty good - more aluminum.  Eventually, a Dutch oven will be added to that mix.

I don't have the budget for titanium, but if I did...I'd have everything in titanium.
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.

My 13Skills Blog http://improvingeddie.wordpress.com/

Offline chezrad

• Survivor
    • Brush n Soap n Blade
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 10:45:39 AM »
I have had really good success with Ti cook wear. It was worth the price. I have had stainless which I also like and I've had aluminum. I didn't like the aluminum because it had more of a tendency to get out of shape than the other two. So Ti is for backpacking.

For car camping? Cast Iron!!!

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 04:27:26 PM »
I use stainless or enamel coated when in my pack. I don't carry a lot of different stuff. Tailgate camping I use cast iron mostly.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown