Author Topic: Cats  (Read 9010 times)

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
Cats
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:57:57 PM »
So I was walking my dog yesterday, he sniffs around and I follow, when he honed in on some tracks and the tried to drag me straight back to the house. I looked at the tracks for quite a while and got two second opinions and it is definitely a large cat. We have mountain lions and 2 kinds of jaguars that have recently returned to the area. I havent seen the cat and am wondering about the behavior of large cats. Are they likely to come closer to satisfy their curiosity or hunger? I want to get four hens but I am not at all interested in a new cat  ;)  Will a cat that size bother with chickens? What about Dogs? 

Offline kimrpeterson

• Prepper
Re: Cats
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
I have had two close encounters with mountain lions in the past couple of years.  One was a huge male (approx. 150lbs) which was stalking my husband and I when we were in the back country.  The other was a young one, which scared me the most because mommy was probably close.  If the tracks were a mountain lion, you could very well have a problem.  A mountain lion will kill any dog or chickens you might have if they are in the area.  I live in the mountains and a mountain lion in the area recently jumped over a chain link fence and killed a goat, then jumped back over the fence with it.  Here is some info on mountain lion encounters;

General Advice About Lion Encounters
The general advice to avoid being eaten by a mountain lion is to travel in groups. If you encounter a mountain lion by yourself or with your children, stop, make yourself look as big as possible, and pick up small children and put them on your shoulders to make you appear even larger. Aggressively defend your position. The idea is to deter their attack by making them think that it isn't going to be easy for them. Pick up a branch or a rock to help fight them if needed. They are just big kitty-cats, so you don't want to appear as smaller prey to them. In particular, running away makes them think you are prey, and will encourage an attack. Yell for help by screaming cougar! or something similarly specific rather than just help!.

Do not take your dog with you into the wilderness, if you want to reduce your chances of a cougar attack. According to Banff National Park Chief Warden Ian Syme, "Many people like to take a dog along in the wilderness because it gives them a sense of security. They feel they will be protected from cougars. But that's not the case. Dogs are an attractant in most cases."

However, you may not have to worry about taking action to prevent an attack, since mountain lions ordinarily either lie hidden, waiting for prey to approach beneath them, or approach unseen, and then attack and kill by a bite to the back of the neck that severs the spinal cord.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:21:54 AM »
I have to agree with Kim, large cats can be a problem.

My wife had an encounter with a cougar while on the periphery of our large yard when we lived in a remote(ish) area of SW Mo.  She was sitting down by the creek drawing on her sketch pad.  She had heard some noises behind her in the brush, when she finally turned around there was a large cat looking at her from about 30 or 40 feet. 

I don't know if it was actually stalking her or was just curious but it could have bad news.  Fortunately I'd made it clear that she needed to carry her pistol with her when she was out on the edges of the property because of several packs of wild dogs we'd been having problems with.  She said when she turned around to look at it, it stared at her for a few seconds and took off and she didn't have to pull her pistol fortunately.

I was at work when all this happened.  When I got home she ran up to the truck & excitedly told me how she'd seen a bobcat.  I asked her to describe it to me...her description was of a cougar.  Then she related the above story to me. 

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 10:34:22 AM »
Well I guess I wont be walking the dog much anymore  :(
As far as I can tell it hasnt been on my property but Im not betting on that as the tracks were less than 1/4 mile from the house. I havent seen a javalina in weeks. Maybe Ill pick up one of those game cameras and put it up near some water and see if I can get some pics to post. Any suggestions from anyone who has used one before?

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 12:34:55 PM »
Well I guess I wont be walking the dog much anymore  :(
As far as I can tell it hasnt been on my property but Im not betting on that as the tracks were less than 1/4 mile from the house. I havent seen a javalina in weeks. Maybe Ill pick up one of those game cameras and put it up near some water and see if I can get some pics to post. Any suggestions from anyone who has used one before?
Find an obvious game trail to locate the camera on leading to the water.

Look for tracks around the water source & "back track" from there.  There will probably be a couple of trail looking areas where the ground is more worn or beaten down.  Look for tufts of hair, scat, or other signs of obvious movement or activity to and from the water source.  Animals are like humans in that they tend to travel well established trails & routes to and from their bedding, watering areas.  They like the path of least resistance as much as we do.

Don't set the camera right on or perpendicular to the trail.  Set it back a dozen feet or so from the trail and at an angle so it faces down the trail a bit and will cover several feet of the trail or area you want to take pictures of.  Also, lock it to the tree or object you're mounting it to so that it can't be easily stolen.  They've been known to disappear quite frequently. ::)

If you get pictures of it, post 'em up so we can see 'em. ;)

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 08:36:10 AM »
Cats are delicious.  ;D

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 04:12:11 PM »
Cats are delicious.  ;D
...especially in tamales.

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 05:21:47 PM »
...especially in tamales.

I hear they taste like chicken ::)
if/when the SHTF I know I will be looking to put that on the menu :)

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 08:19:50 PM »
Here in the NW we have lots of cougars. Here is some general advise about them.

If confronted by one do the following.
-Make yourself appear as big as possible
-Do not under any circumstances run...a hard thing to do when your scared to death....cougars are pursuit animals, they expect their prey to run
- make noise, yelling screaming....know this that if a cougar does attack they intend to eat you...you will be in a fight for your life
- Keep children close...cougar will look for young animals away from their parents to attack
- Cougars are very stealthy, they can be right next to you without you knowing it.
- In the brush you are not at the top of the food chain...don't walk around like you are on the promenade without a care, be aware of your surroundings at all times, trust your sixth sense.

I have been around them several times. It has always been a game of sizing me up for a kill. I try to make a little noise when walking but even that failed me one time when I walked right up to about 50 yards of five of them sitting on some rocks. I put down a doe deer one time that had been attacked by a cougar. She had been bitten on the back of the neck, had deep bleeding wounds one her front shoulders from claws and the cougar had raked down both sides of her body with it's hind claws. Cougars are prey animals that eat meat for a living, they are not the warm and fuzzy creatures that you see in the movies. Be careful.

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 11:36:59 PM »
Yeah its definitely seeing the dogs as food. I caught it lurking around tonight and it didnt care at all about the 20 or so dogs on this road that we all freaking out. It didnt seem particularly threatened by me. I was out 20 yards or more from the house with a little LED flash light. It wasnt between me and the house but I didnt move away from it until it started moving the other direction. I guess freezing isnt necessarily the best plan either but I didnt want it to have the impression that I was fleeing. I really didnt feel like getting any closer either so I just stayed put. I moved around a bit and made noise, it watched me for a second and headed up the road towards civilization. Ill be trading up from a 9 to a 12 ga for around the property carrying.

Offline Jimbo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 07:56:40 AM »
If confronted by one do the following.

Liberally dose the kitty with 240 gr .44 Mag soft points ;D

I don't live in cougar/mountain lion country, but if I did, my "woods pistol" (I always have a firearm on me)would be of sufficient caliber to keep me from becoming Purina!

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 08:10:08 AM »
Good plan. We've even had them try to attack some friends horses. Horses didn't die but did end up with some nasty scares. I'm same as you, and I don't ever go into the brush without a side arm, more often with a 308 or 30-30.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 09:32:50 PM »
Don't remember where I came across this, and there were some more pictures too but looks like this is all I saved.  The story went something like this...

Mom, at home alone in a very rural setting, was preparing dinner for the kids who were sitting in the floor in front of the TV playing and just being kids.  Only the screen door was closed on their patio door.  Mom kept seeing something moving from time to time in the yard outside the door but couldn't really tell what it was.  Then she saw the reflective eyes and could tell it was coming closer to the door in a running crouch.  She ran over to the door and slammed the glass door shut just as the big cougar slammed into the other side of the door.  Dazed, confused and still hungry, he spent the next 30 minutes walking back and forth outside the door and attempted to pry the door open/rip through it with it's claws several times to no avail.  Here are two of the photo's she shot.  I remember one of them was the eyes from about 30 feet out in the yard crouched under a lawn chair.

Tim.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 10:09:08 PM »
A few thoughts -

Cougars are one of the very few animals that will actively hunt a human.

There are documented and published cases of people hunting and being stalked by cougars, including deer hunters and turkey hunters (when you sound like prey, you sound like prey).

Cougars migrate like crazy. One is recorded as having traversed ND from north to south in 5 days.

As for hanging a game camera, neat idea, but the damn things hunt hunters. While you're out there scouting out a place to hang a camera, in case it hasn't migrated, have someone along well armed watching your back.

Winchester32

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 10:18:24 PM »
A few thoughts -

Cougars are one of the very few animals that will actively hunt a human

Very true.  I have a friend who works for a rescue/shelter for a big cats.  Even though many are old & toothless, the cougar will still go into stalking mode when she is visible while cleaning the stalls.  He looks at her as prey. 

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 07:41:32 AM »
can you shout it? what's the hunting laws out there? it's dangerous and plus you can throw the meat in the freezer

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 08:48:09 AM »
can you shout it? what's the hunting laws out there? it's dangerous and plus you can throw the meat in the freezer

Well if it's in self-defense, you can certainly shoot it. As far as hunting it, I'm not sure.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 11:44:06 AM »
maybe you should ask your local Fish and Wildlife dudes

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 12:13:53 PM »
maybe you should ask your local Fish and Wildlife dudes

Possibly. But where that happened is over 2000 miles away from here.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 12:52:28 PM »
i think it would be good to know anyways......those big cats migrate huge distances

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 10:21:06 AM »
As for hunting it depends on where you live. Here in Wyoming you can hunt them with a license during hunting season. Some cat hunters pissed me off last year for I was tracking an elk and then the elk ran away like hell. I came upon cat hunters with hounds trespassing.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 04:31:23 PM »
We have had problems with cougar around here showing up near playgrounds, stocking hunters and hikers as well as attacking pets and livestock and they usually end up a dead kitty. I know a couple people that in the past have had to kill  cougar that were about to attack them while they were deer hunting.

We have enough of them around here that the regular hunting season is 11 months long and if you go the extended season it’s actually year round.

Will a cat that size bother with chickens? What about Dogs? 
Yes.